Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Jools Holland 1998 Performance< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2002, 16:13

who here remembers Oldfield's excellent appearance back on Halloween '98...he played a bell jam, serpent dream, secrets, far above the clouds, and had an interview...his performance of FATC was amazing, the guitar solo the best I've ever heard in any Oldfield piece (probably)...was anybody there in the studio?...was this Mike's first appearance on Later?...and was anyone dismayed when Jools stated that he hoped Mike would return on the show with Tubular Bells IV and V, thus implying that if it wasn't tubular bells he wasn't interested?...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
hal Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2002, 20:17

Im amazed that oldfield appeared on Later, ive always sat there and thought "why has Oldfield never done this show ? Im gutted I missed it, did he receive a good reaction from the crowd etc and did Holland give him the necessary respect for an artist of his history deserves (the cocky cockney git that he his).

Well well hey Oldfield on later, good to know.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2002, 12:07

Here in Brazil you can see Later with Jools Holland almost everyday...last month the cable TV channel which presents the show showed Mike's appearance @ 3am!!!
:(
I do hope that I can watch it soon!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2002, 18:13

Yeah I've got it on video from when it was on. FATC was awsome way better than any other version I've heard, those kettle drums used on it sounded great as did the extra bass Carrie Melbourne used when Mike played the big bells. I also prefered the bit in Secrets where Mike played the Nord Lead synth, a great sound. As for the interview, I remember watching it thinking Jools Holland is just taking the piss, he didn't seem very impressed. Lots of good camera angles though, I liked the little camera Alasdair Malloy was obviously wearing on his head it gave a great view of him playing the bells.

ps I wonder what the BBC did with that huge Tubular Bell prop they used as a backdrop it was amazing it looked just like the one on the TB3 album cover only it looks like its about 15 feet across. I wouldn't mind nicking it.

pps I'm fairly certain this is Mike's only appearance on the show. It would be cool if they did a 30th aniversary special with Mike playing the whole of TB. Go for it Mike get it arranged.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 20:14

I remember the appearance well - my only criticism was the fact that Mike played FATC twice - to play out the show too. Would have been nice to hear other live work although I do agree the performance(s) of FATC were awesome.

As for Jools, I don't think I've seen an interview where his permanent smirk and boyish grin don't suggest he's taking the piss out of everyone he interviews....

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2002, 05:43

Does someone have this as mpeg or divx or something. So we who do not have those tv channels can watch it too?

Please

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2002, 14:44

He didn't play FATC twice did he? I video'd it the night it was broadcast in Oct 1998 and he played Serpent Dream and FATC. T4 are you not confusing this with the Horsguards Parade concert where he played it twice?

There were MP3's of the performance going about on AudioGalaxy when it existed so I dare say you may be able to track down copies over the net.
I'm looking for any video footage of the 'Now and Then' tour and would be willing to trade if anybody is interested, drop me a mail. ( sorry is this allowed? We're not talking bootlegs here.)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 27 2005, 14:01

Does anyone have an mpg of the Jools Holland show now?, please?.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 27 2005, 17:08

Yes, I downloaded it on eMule last year. It was part of a Spanish Video CD called 'Later Y Otros'. If you have no luck in finding the image file on eMule, I'll see if I've got it nearby

Edit: I do have the CD with me. The avi file in question is 323MB and contains some other TB3-related performances replete with some dodgy Pepsi miming ;) If you can't find it anywhere else drop me a PM
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 28 2005, 17:15

Slightly off-topic: is there anyone in here who has a copy [VHS, CD, mpg, whatever!] of the whole «Later» show of that night? As far as I know from seeing the mpgs I have, that night's show also featured other very interesting acts (at least to me) such as Afghan Whigs, Natalie Merchant and Fun Lovin' Criminals. If there's anyone who has videos (or even just mp3s) of those performances, please email me or PM me. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
9 replies since April 08 2002, 16:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net