[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Jarre "Bell " vs Oldfield Bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ezomar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 01 2001, 17:10

Hi alls.

I would like to put here the spark about the Creations of Mike Oldfield vs the contrubution of Jean Michel Jarre.

I can understand the challenge between these two musician.

Hey can all everybody to speak about it, please talk with the true.

How much of you have JARRE cds ?.

--------------
Nyef
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 01 2001, 17:56

Hi Ezomar, can you please be more precise? What challenge?
I've got Oxygene on LP (PD-1-6112), and I know there's also Equinoxe and Magnetic Fields (probably more, but I don't know).
Which connection do you see with Mike Oldfield? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2001, 23:33

I've got Oxygene on CD and Equinoxe, The Concerts In China and Les Chants Magnetiques on vinyl. I always wondered what connection people see between Jarre and Mike, too. Probably because they're both instrumental composers associated with the rock genre. But IMO that's as far as it goes.
Profile PM WEB 
Ezomar Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2001, 17:41

If somebody of you are hear the bell of Jarre (in metamorphoses), you can understand my comments.
E

--------------
Nyef
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2001, 02:51

I don't know what's the connection between Mike and Jean-Michel Jarre. Unfortunately I haven't got Metamorphoses (but I heard it once and I remember some bell tune). To me, Jarre is quite different, using only synthetisers and computer generated sounds. I don't think if he can be associated with rock! But I also like Jarre and I've got 9 albums on CD or tape (Oxygène, Oxygène 7-12, Equinoxe, Les Chants Magnétiques, Zoolook, Chronologie, Rendez-vous, Revolutions, En Attendant Cousteau). My favourite is Chronologie.
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2001, 04:51

I listen to JMJ too. And I even have "Metamorphoses" which I like a lot. The "Bells" song in fact has (tubular) bells, but I believe this to be pure chance, since neither melody nor lyrics refer to Oldfield. I still have to admit, that I might be wrong.

One similarity of Mike and JMJ in genral could be, that both make music, that can´t be catagorized. And concerning JMJ earlier works: Oxygene, Equinoxe and Magnetic Fields, these are still groundbracking. They have such a warm synthesizer sound, the tunes are simple but captivating. They even were technically perfect. JMJ lay the ground for what was to become Techno-Music today ,and listen to JMJ you will find many parallels to it.
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2002, 05:20

i like jean-michel jarre

he would be grouped more with kraftwerk, not mike oldfield.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
mdenari Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2002, 15:49

I do like Jarre I have all his CDs as well as Mike's. I would say that Mike and Jeam-Michel remind me that late 70's TV show called The Persuaders. Tony Curtis a rough boy and Roger Moore, a british aristocrat. Somehow Mike is like the role Tony curtis was playing and Jarre is Moore. They are completelly opposite from their roots but have in common a time where there was a lot of experimentation in music. Anyboby agrees???
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2002, 06:26

Man In Rain:
Oxygene 7-12? I hope that's a typo, otherwise you're missing out on Oxygene XIII (pretty much an update of Oxygene VI, as can be expected)

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2002, 12:56

I used to listen to a lot of JMJ but I hardly listen to his albums now as I find them boring - they don't seem to have the same lasting value as Mike's stuff (at least for me).

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 10 2002, 19:05

jarre was the first artist whose work i truely loved, he introduced me to the long form instrumental format...like mike he is a maverick, a unique talent...but he is a far inferior composer to mike, and sadly his older work has aged badly...but he has made a concious effort to update his sound since chronologie, and his album metamorphoses is easily comparable to recent oldfield work...millions of stars proves that jarre may indeed, amazingly, only be hitting his stride now that technology has caught up with his imagination...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
SHINE Offline

Posted: May 11 2003, 12:49

A commom thing between MO and J-MJ?
     They are two musicians whose music makes you fly and let your imagination create a virtual landscape where you can travel while listening to their music.
     I've got all the"old" (as I like to say) J-MJ works from Oxigène to Rendez-vous,and curiously, I think that his first creations has aged very well,as we can liste to them today and find them interesting
     IMHO,in his recent works,"flying time" is shorter,and "destinations" déjà vu,no feeling inside them....
     I consider him a great musician,who developed,as MO did,an unexplored way in instrumental music
     IMO, TSODE and Equinoxe have some similarities.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 11 2003, 14:14

Yeah I agree. I think his older works, like Mike's, have aged really well, both Oxygene and Equinoxe have that same timeless quality about them. I suppose you could agrue that Magnetic Fields and Zoolook are a bit more 80's sounding but Zoolook in particular is such a work of genius that it really doesn't matter. Some of Rendez vous is ok but his work went downhill as soon as his increasingly naff concerts became more important than the music, he really dug himself into a rut in that respect.

I think Metamorphosis was step in the right direction for him but it's an album that he should have done a long time ago before Air got there and did it first.

The one major difference between Jarre and Oldfield is that JMJ takes himself way to seriously. A long time ago I bought a big glossy colour book on JMJ and his concerts and you have never read such a lot of pretentious hogwash in your entire life, it's beyond laughable, it does seem to characterise  a lot of what he does though.
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: May 27 2003, 15:43

I usually think of Jarre and Vangelis in more of a similar light than Jarre/Oldfield.  I like all three.
TubularBen Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 11:20

I don't like JMJ, but I like some pieces from Vangelis.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 11:42

Comparing Jarre/Oldfield/Vangelis isn't as fishy as confounding the two. Believe me, on KaZaA I've seen things like "Tubular Bells by Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis". It's awful... :/ :p

I've liked Jarre since I was 14 or something. Equinoxe was my first, and even today, it is my favourite Jarre album ever, but I've amassed more albums through this year. Since I'm a relatively "new" Oldfield fan, Jarre still brings me some nostalgia, but I consider both of them as exceptional and innovative artists.

I'm unfamiliar with Vangelis, though.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 18:22

As alot of posts say, the music is different.
I got into all three (Mike JMJ and Vangelis) about the same time, and have a lot of work by all of them.

a couple of things to add  -how about similarites with Tangerine Dream - instrumental, some rockier tracks, long tracks, long back catalogue?

Also, Mike does crescendo endings to beat anybody, Vangelis does some mean themes especially to visuals (Bladerunner, Chariots) and JMJ can make your emotions soar in places.

And finally, they all have peaks and toughs - great albums and some dodgy ones
:p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2003, 07:20

I think there's one thing you can compare Jarre and Oldfield on...

Their work has got dramatically simpler over the last few albums. (by which I mean newly composed albums). As if they just can't find "it" anymore.
Profile PM 
Erulian Offline

Posted: April 13 2004, 13:26

Jarre has always leaned towards technology and inovation through it-although his recent stuff is mediocre.Mike's music is
more honest and organic-it is really well balanced.Jarre probably reached his peak with Chronologie although some tracks remind of Jan Hammer.Jarre is a good musiacian-an excellent one-but also a techno-maniac in a sense that he uses everything synth involved and that has made him much more complicated.He is a genius-but Mike is a FUCKING genius.
Regarding Vangelis-he is a classical composer and will go down
in history in the same vein that Mozart did-as a composer of his time.I have all of his works-I mean everything-even bootlegs and he is a genius that likes to experiment with electronics(Opera Sauvage,Albedo) still he is a classical composer.Mike is going down that road but more like a rock composer while Jarre will always be an innovator.
BTW,Yanni is such a Vangelis ripp-off. :cool:  ;)  :/
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 13 2004, 23:46

Mike, Jarre and Vangelis are my three favourite musicians. :) I got to know of them at the same time, and interesting that I took Jarre's and Vangelis' music easily (I was 11 years old then), but five years had to pass that I could like Mike's music as well. Though now Mike certainly is my favourite musician.

One observable similarity between Mike and Jarre is that they both made a second version of their first album, but they finally chose different approaches. Jarre's Oxygene 7-13 is rather the sequel of Oxygene while TBII is rather a remake of TB. Though Oxygene and Oxygene 7-13 have some structural similarities but these are more hidden (the similar ones are 3 and 9, 5 and 12, 6 and 13). I think that both these albums are even better than the fantastic first one, in fact, TBII and Oxygene 7-13 are my two most favourite albums. ;)

Vangelis... still he is a classical composer

Indeed and it's strange that Mythodea was his first album with original classical orchestration. But he had also been a rock musician - his Earth album, The Forminx, the Aphrodite's Child and the collaboration on Socrates' fantastic Phos album proves that.

I have all of his works-I mean everything-...

Everything? It's a brave statement - knowing how many bootlegs he has. :) Now I know 99.6% of Mike's works but that 0.4% is extremely hard to get. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
24 replies since Feb. 01 2001, 17:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net