Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (15) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I've been here a week., Most SHOCKING !!!!!!!!!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 14 2011, 23:54

Well said Dan.
The pity is Dunlooser is the most talented funny guy here.
The best musician by far and the glue holding the group together.
No doubt this will be locked and deleted shortly..... another victory .
You know with the problems I've had , if the sexes were reversed I'd have results by now.
So yes it seems sexism works one way and not the other here and in the real world.

I hope Kev comes back,  Though I wonder why I stay, oh yeah I remember its so I don't let down all the people who have put so much into the album project.

The very same project I fired Wiga from.

No wonder this Bassman left ..... Smart Guy

If you don't like it , Don't read it....Doesn't take a genius.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 03:45

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 11 2011, 03:30)
PocahontARSE I done poked on mah hoss
Squaws on mah floor made me holler for more
MinnehaHA, well she gave one to me
But turnin' to cowboys - mah pecker is sore!
Yep, rogerin' Roy Rogers made him hoot like a whore
But there ain't no denyin' mah pecker is RAW!

Nightspore -  well "satirical songs" is a nice comfy way of putting it. This for one creeps me out!

Nightspore and Milamber -

Despite your protestations you both seem to be strangely out of touch - it's like a throwback to another era.

And these trendy jokes attacking Americans are just as dubious as those mocking black or Asian people.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 03:54

Quote (Milamber @ Mar. 15 2011, 04:54)
The very same project I fired Wiga from.

Yes, you're still angry with me - and don't I know it!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 05:01

Hey pardner, ol' C'lamity Jayne is shootin' up the town agin!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 05:07

She just got back from the windy city  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 05:21

Quote (Milamber @ Mar. 15 2011, 05:07)
She just got back from the windy city  :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 07:17

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 15 2011, 01:40)
Matthew and I have been discussing this thread for the last day or so, and I agreed to respond to some of the points.  Now--no one is required to read any topics or to participate in them. Moreover, the "meet and greet" section is where members carry on about stuff not pertaining to Mike Oldfield.  It is the one place that can be "off topic or otherwise irrelevant."  

But I ask again, where do we go from here? Can we continue without us admins having to edit, clean it up, or otherwise bin it?

Morning fellow tublarians.
I am both humbled and pleasantly SHOCKED.

If I had known the topic had been closed for the admins to discuss it's merits or lack of them, perhaps I wouldn't have been so quick to throw in the towel. But all I saw was the tumblin weed rollin accross it as the dust settled.

I have never seen so much creation from a relatively small group of like minded folks. It's the kind of thing that gives me hope. Putting all the other stuff happening round the world into second place for once.

I'm well aware of the problems for the native Americans and I keep a close eye on the native Canadians too.
Our fun is not not aimed at them but the images we grew up with on the silver screen. The characters we portray and write about are from Hollywood.
If there's been one good thing to come out of it. It's the creativity, hell, we're writing our own dictionary.

I could never have imagined how this would all turn out from my initial post regarding the Pool match, which everyone chose to ignore. But what has developed over the past few weeks can't be ignored.
I realise some of it was getting a bit strong for even my liking,
but, only the folks can choose wether to read the content or not. And if they keep coming back for more then it's that, which will push the boundaries. It's only human nature.
I've played with many bands and musicians, and if there's one thing I've learned from it, they're always looking for an edge. An identity. I see nothing wrong with it, as long as no-ones hurt. I don't believe anyone was.

Did need cooling a bit and being a protagonist myself I appreciate what you Admins do. Don't stop. I appreciate how you've dealt with it, and, thanks for re-opening the topic.

I'm headin t' thr salooon fer a glass. Any o you varmints wanna join us, and there's gonna be wimin folk too, you'll know where to find us. Thr drinks are on Matt.

Yeeee Haaaaa.....................Dunlooser
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 07:37

See ya at thr Bar Coyote.
Dangerous Dans headin there after his teekwondeee lessin.
And yes sum wimmin folk headin there to.

Grab that sasparelli from the bekin fore you mosey over pilgrim :)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:17

Quote (wiga @ Mar. 15 2011, 03:45)
And these trendy jokes attacking Americans are just as dubious as those mocking black or Asian people.

I am looking at this as an opportunity for understanding, for those who haven't seen this as an issue, because in the USA, many wouldn't understand that there isn't a difference, as you say.

In fact, the American Indian Library Association many years ago wrote a position paper entitled, "I is not for Indian: The Portrayl of Native Americans in Books for Young People," which examined the continuing stereotypes, discrimination, and issues they were facing while strides were being made in other areas of race relations, etc. In the small Midwest town where I worked at the time,  one of the floats in the Homecoming Parade comprised a giant Panther paw pinning down an Indian (Panthers vs. Indians). There would have been an outcry had it been any other ethnicity. Why was that tolerated? That's when I started getting involved with groups that were working toward cultural understanding. No one person (Native or otherwise) and certainly not I can speak for Native America--it's too vast, too many cultures, etc.-- but for me to have not taken this opportunity to share a bit of what I have learned over the years would have seemed selfish and cowardly, though it's not particularly comfortable to do.

Oh--Kev--your post came in while I was on my rant! So glad you're continuing to hang out, yay! Well said about Canada's First Nations. Re: Hollywood movies--I tend to root on the side of the Indians. :) And loved Dances with Wolves.  And Smoke Signals (Native written, produced, acted). Hope you have a chance to see that one, if you've not. It's based on two Sherman Alexie novels. A couple years ago when he was signing books, very rotely (huge line), I presented my few to him and muttered, "My daughters love Smoke Signals (I'd just bought the script)." He was nodding politely seemingly not paying much attention, focusing on signing, until I added, "in fact, my youngest who is 14 (at that time) takes it along to all her sleepovers." At which point he looked up startled, and smiling said, "Really?"  In his earlier talk, he'd mentioned how sometimes he doesn't think people get it.

Now for that drink! Oh--Milamber--hope pilgrim is behaving well fer ya. She gave me lots of problems and nearly threw me into the middle of the road! I nearly mosied over her indeed, hahahaha. Hahahahaha. Sorry. Too much sasprilla. :)  Aye--once had a horse named Pilgrim, nearly lost a limb, then found an Appy (Appaloosa) mare named Rio's Dawn (as opposed to...Omma Dawn! ) :D (err...is that...shocking?? )

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:37

And what about jokes mocking white people? The only time racism (sexism, classism...) will truly end is when it's all the same, anybody can make a joke about anybody, and nobody cares because we're all equal.

And people like you are in the way. Shocking.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:40

Quote (dunlooser @ Mar. 15 2011, 11:17)
If I had known the topic had been closed for the admins to discuss it's merits or lack of them, perhaps I wouldn't have been so quick to throw in the towel. But all I saw was the tumblin weed rollin accross it as the dust settled.

Sorry Dunlooser. Probably should have made that clearer when I closed it, though I did say "closed for a bit!" ;)

I had asked for the language and tone to improve a bit, I think that was mostly understood ok. Remaining problem seemed Inkantas (and subsequently wigas) concerns about sexism and racism. I think the open discussion here will hopefully be a *really* good way to resolve things. We'd been working on some additional forum guidelines (at our usual snails pace) which do cover some of this. Hmmm, might just post the relevant draft section as part of this discussion <goes away to dig it out>.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:42

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 15 2011, 14:17)

Only Shocking if you don't join us at the saloon. Mrs ML's in there drinking and I don't reckon she should in her condition.
Only saparilly though. We brought it back from the Beacon.
Did I tell you about the dust under the bed.

Shocking.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:43

Draft of what we had been thinking below. Actually I think Inkanta mostly covered all of this in one of her previous posts :D

Tone and standards on the forums
"You can't please all the people all the time"

The tubular.net forums are provided for fans of Mikes music to discuss Mikes music. We know, and welcome, that fans of all shapes, sizes and ages come from a very wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, and languages. When posting on the forums, language, culture, age, gender, background, etc. can affect how posts are intrepreted. Please keep this in mind and try to refrain from posting remarks that are likely to be offensive to others on the forums. Please also consider if what you are posting is appropriate considering forum membership is not restricted to adults.

Enforcement of standards to avoid the most sensitive of people *ever* being offended by forum content would be suffocatingly draconian (with apologies to dragons).

Allowing maximum freedom of speech would result in too many people potentially being offended by forum content and might discourage the participation of the breadth of people we want to feel welcome here.

Admin enforcement of standards (outlined in the forum guidelines) by us requesting changes, editing or deleting forum posts therefore tries to be somewhere in between overly draconian and overly lax, exactly where is determined by the mix of admins. This will mean some people will be occasionally offended by content here. Equally it will mean we occasionally remove or edit content that a particular forum member might have felt should have been allowed. Sorry but that is the way it is.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:48

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 15 2011, 08:37)

And what about jokes mocking white people? The only time racism (sexism, classism...) will truly end is when it's all the same, anybody can make a joke about anybody, and nobody cares because we're all equal.

And people like you are in the way. Shocking.

Ya got it, Badlands. In Austryleeya I heerd they openly make them sheep jokes to their kiwi buddies and the kiwis done laugh their haids off beefore makin jokes theirselcves.

Ya comin' to the saloon, pardna? Law-ra the Beached Whale is gettin ready to play.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:49

Matt-Inkanta  it's a pretty thankless job you do ...So Thanks..

And thanks to Kev for a cummin back and stating with class his side o things.
This Yeha is for the Coyote

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA  :D
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:54

Quote (dunlooser @ Mar. 15 2011, 08:42)
Did I tell you about the dust under the bed.

Shocking.

<Sneezes into her drink>

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 08:58

ooops--dust....in the wind? All we are is dust in the wind.....as tumbleweed blows around her hoss's huvs.

--------------
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 09:44

Did I miss something?
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 10:10

Quote (Hastengas @ Mar. 15 2011, 15:44)
Did I miss something?

Ya missed one o thr best god damn gunfights I ever survived.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Coyote.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 10:22

Quote (dunlooser @ Mar. 15 2011, 10:10)
Quote (Hastengas @ Mar. 15 2011, 15:44)
Did I miss something?

Ya missed one o thr best god damn gunfights I ever survived.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Coyote.

Yeah, well done, pardner. But rumor is you done trod on a rattler back o' the saloon. Hope ya oll right??
Profile PM 
281 replies since Feb. 12 2011, 14:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (15) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net