Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (15) < ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I've been here a week., Most SHOCKING !!!!!!!!!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 137 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 14:23

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 15 2011, 16:22)
Quote (dunlooser @ Mar. 15 2011, 10:10)
Quote (Hastengas @ Mar. 15 2011, 15:44)
Did I miss something?

Ya missed one o thr best god damn gunfights I ever survived.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Coyote.

Yeah, well done, pardner. But rumor is you done trod on a rattler back o' the saloon. Hope ya oll right??

Nah............................ no rattler's round the back.

I've been thinking it's time ole Clint Eastwood did his last Western.............carryin on from where Jose Whales left off.

Soooooooo Clint has a mine up there in the side of a mountain. Where incidently, he has the advantage yet again. ( I refer to the gunfight in the first film where he guns down all the guys in uniform........Milly )
He's been mining up there fer 30 odd yers  with his pardna, the younger brother of the indian he had with him in the first film. Which incidently, is where the humour of the first film is generated.
They've only made enough on which to........................ live.........until....they hit the big one.
That's when they have to defend the mountain. Film ends in a huge explosion after Clint and his Indian pardna have fought a half hour gunfight.
The dust clears and............................the only man left standing is the Injun. Clint having decided to die lighting the explosives in the mine.

The Injun looks down on the remains of Clint.....which is just a hand still holding its cavalery colt.........and.............say's

Did he even have a name ?
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 16:25

Sue.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 16:31

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 15 2011, 22:25)
Sue.

Well spelt Syd B  :D  :D

Now.................................. were learnin some PC

Coyote
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2011, 07:13

Quote (dunlooser @ Mar. 15 2011, 22:31)

Ah'l be damned that Sherriffs faster than yer nag Milly.

Caught red handed, still at least he didn't have the lynch mob wi him. Back to the saloon boys. Lets git them thur curtins raized.

Shocking.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2011, 14:58

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 15 2011, 14:17)
Quote (wiga @ Mar. 15 2011, 03:45)
And these trendy jokes attacking Americans are just as dubious as those mocking black or Asian people.

I am looking at this as an opportunity for understanding, for those who haven't seen this as an issue, because in the USA, many wouldn't understand that there isn't a difference, as you say.

In fact, the American Indian Library Association many years ago wrote a position paper entitled, "I is not for Indian: The Portrayl of Native Americans in Books for Young People," which examined the continuing stereotypes, discrimination, and issues they were facing while strides were being made in other areas of race relations, etc. In the small Midwest town where I worked at the time,  one of the floats in the Homecoming Parade comprised a giant Panther paw pinning down an Indian (Panthers vs. Indians). There would have been an outcry had it been any other ethnicity. Why was that tolerated? That's when I started getting involved with groups that were working toward cultural understanding. No one person (Native or otherwise) and certainly not I can speak for Native America--it's too vast, too many cultures, etc.-- but for me to have not taken this opportunity to share a bit of what I have learned over the years would have seemed selfish and cowardly, though it's not particularly comfortable to do.

Oh--Kev--your post came in while I was on my rant! So glad you're continuing to hang out, yay! Well said about Canada's First Nations. Re: Hollywood movies--I tend to root on the side of the Indians. :) And loved Dances with Wolves.  And Smoke Signals (Native written, produced, acted). Hope you have a chance to see that one, if you've not. It's based on two Sherman Alexie novels. A couple years ago when he was signing books, very rotely (huge line), I presented my few to him and muttered, "My daughters love Smoke Signals (I'd just bought the script)." He was nodding politely seemingly not paying much attention, focusing on signing, until I added, "in fact, my youngest who is 14 (at that time) takes it along to all her sleepovers." At which point he looked up startled, and smiling said, "Really?"  In his earlier talk, he'd mentioned how sometimes he doesn't think people get it.

Now for that drink! Oh--Milamber--hope pilgrim is behaving well fer ya. She gave me lots of problems and nearly threw me into the middle of the road! I nearly mosied over her indeed, hahahaha. Hahahahaha. Sorry. Too much sasprilla. :)  Aye--once had a horse named Pilgrim, nearly lost a limb, then found an Appy (Appaloosa) mare named Rio's Dawn (as opposed to...Omma Dawn! ) :D (err...is that...shocking?? )

I've been reading Inkantas rant  ;)

She raises many issues for debate. Is there anyone out there willing to take part. I know I am, especially in view of the recent gunfight.

I only had a fish.  :(

I tried to get the protagonists involved but they're still in the saloon. I had hoped that someone might just pickup on the Clint Easwood Jose Whales 2 film.
I mean Injun and white man living together for 30 yrs. What would the local townsfolk think ? And I think  "I" can stand for injun, an injun being the character from Hollywood.

I saw a case reported in a Canadian newspaper where a native indian had returned home from shopping with his family to find his cabin buldozed. Plus the surrounding Forest to make another green for a Golf Club. Court found in favour of the Golf Club. Native Indian moved on.
It still goes on today, in this day and age.

:O

I got the feeling from reading the above post, a second and third time, that there was more you wanted to say, Inkanta. My post interupted you.
Please finish off and I'll join you for a debate.

Regarding Smoke Signals. If the film is based on 2 books. I'd rather read the 2  books than see the film. Soo I'm a gonna search em out.

DL
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2011, 19:41

Quote (dunlooser @ Mar. 17 2011, 14:58)
I tried to get the protagonists involved but they're still in the saloon.

Ah'll keep an eye on the dee-bate, Coyote, though I'm affeerd ah might have to yews words like post-structewralism now and again, which'll make the Colonel yeehaa a mite.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 02:19

Just rereading Inkanta's thread my self I noticed the debate is for people who DID NOT find this a problem.

Guess that s me ...I'm in ,and until her post I had know idea  squaw or brave was a NoNo in our pc world.

Australia had an incident early last year on a variety program that had Harry Connick as a guest judge.

A few off work Doctors donned black makeup to impersonate Michael Jackson (He was still living at this time) and Harry spat the dummy big time stating in the U.S.A this was not tolerated at all accusing these guys of racial stereotyping.

Little did he know under the make up they were mostly Indian or Pakistani.

None of the producers of the show found it a problem, most Aussies for that matter.

Just illustrates Inkanta's point of the diversity of this board.

We can try to repair the mistakes off the past ,but we cannot forget them either, this goes for anything made or published in these far flung times.

Two days ago The Man with the Golden Gun was on tv.

There is a scene where a (holidaying in Thailand) American Sheriff calls the locals pointy heads .

Very racist but what do we do, destroy all copys of this Bond film?
How far do you go.

And as far as the N word goes...until EVERYBODY stops using it ,it will remain.

But yes if Inkanta has more to say I'm all ears.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 07:49

I'll let Inkanta comment on the American Indian side of this I am still learning myself from her what the issues are. In Scotland squaw would also not usually be seen as derogatory as far as I am aware but that is probably just because I haven't come across it except for cowboys and indians games as a kid when, to my recollection, it was not used in a way intended to offend as part of the game. But really, it isn't something I know much about yet. Time to learn!

Our PC world - the "additional guidance" stuff I posted started out from just that sort of thinking. Where do we (the admins) draw the line. There have been times in the past where people have complained to us about content here they found offensive which we felt was ok to allow and there have been other occasions where we've deleted things and a complaint has been the response claiming we're not broadminded enough. We concluded we can't win, as I said earlier in this thread you can't please all the people all the time.

The other aspect raised was the sexist/sexual side. I'm no prude but some of the stuff in this thread I felt was really a bit inappropriate for these forums and "the diversity" of folks we want to feel comfortable here. We have had complaints about the tone of the forums at times so a balance has to be struck between, as said in those draft notes I posted, us being overly lax in allowing everything and overly prudish in allowing nothing.

This seems like as good a time as any to debate these things and I'm pleased so far the debate has not been a heated argument (so far ;) ). Fingers crossed we can all agree by the end of this.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 08:49

Out of curiosity, how do you guys feel about the N-word being used by black people? I don't know about overseas, but here you hear black people say it all the time. And not just rappers :D. And in fact, if you're friends with a black guy (and you're white), it's acceptable (depending on where you are) to say "Hey, my [n-word], what's up?" when you see them.

Thoughts?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 09:00

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 18 2011, 08:49)
Out of curiosity, how do you guys feel about the N-word being used by black people? I don't know about overseas, but here you hear black people say it all the time. And not just rappers :D. And in fact, if you're friends with a black guy (and you're white), it's acceptable (depending on where you are) to say "Hey, my [n-word], what's up?" when you see them.

Thoughts?

Yes, I've heard about that. They call it "reclaiming the language", so that the enemy is deprived of a verbal weapon. Gay people do the same thing by calling themselves "queer",except that everyone can use that word without causing offence now. I guess in time everyone will be able to use the N word, too, without causing offence. Similarly for "squaws" and "braves", I suppose, although I didn't even realise they were considered offensive.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 09:03

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 18 2011, 09:00)
Gay people do the same thing by calling themselves "queer",except that everyone can use that word without causing offence now.

Not here - say that to a gay person and you'll get your ass kicked, say it to a straight person and you'll really get your ass kicked.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 09:04

But then I live in a rather backwards part of the country.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 18:39

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 18 2011, 09:04)
But then I live in a rather backwards part of the country.

As I was just saying to the Coyote in an email, Americans started calling us rednecks after the Connick incident. Our Foreign Minister, Kevin Rudd (he used to be be Prime Minister until Julia Gillard put the skids under him), retorted: "Rednecks? You've obviously never been to Alabama!", which not surprisingly made things worse, from a PC point of view.

I apologize to Cooper Roy for quoting the remarks about Alabama  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 18:47

@ Kev--Smoke Signals is a fun film--it's basically about a son's journey to collect his father's ashes. It is based on Sherman Alexie's Reservation Blues and The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven (this is a collection of short stories). They could be available via interlibrary loan through your library if it doesn't own.

Regarding "sqaw" etc. and the n-word--there are the etic and the emic points of view. Etic is being outside a group, and emic is being within the group. I can only have the etic view of Native America, Amish, those of African heritage, etc. (heh, thousands! ), so...I don't use words that have been problematic even if people inside the culture itself do.  99.9% of people living in the USA don't know the controversy surrounding "braves" and "sqaws," so I'd never expect anyone else living in other places to, but it was an opportunity to inform. :)  There are some slang words within Native America that wouldn't be appropriate for anyone except someone within that culture to use (or with very, very intimate ties to it).  The  "n" word is a bit like that. It is getting hurled a lot by the younger emic generation and their etic friends--there seems to be a bit of a generational divide on that, as well.  Our study circle was culturally/ethnically diverse, but it wasn't completely  generationally diverse (we were anywhere from late 30's to 80's) . The African-American members weren't too happy about anyone using the word--it brought back some pretty hurtful memories.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 20:29

Oh...btw, I wasn't being sarcastic about SM being a fun film. The theme sounds dreadful, and there is some sadness, but it contains much wry humor and irony. Hmm...think I'll wander away and watch (after I run to the store and get some min-chocolate c's to bake for tubular bells cookies for tomorrow's Ostara observance! ).

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2011, 09:43

<talks to herself>  Actually, my fiance and I watched Smoke Signals last night and he didn't like it and did not understand why the movie was labeled a comedy. Victor has to journey to Phoenix, Arizona to collect the ashes of the father (and his truck) who abandoned him when he was 12. Why did his father leave? What ties Victor and his friend, Thomas, together?  The movie fluctuates between young Victor and Thomas and Victor and Thomas as 18-year olds (or thereabouts). I think that one is initially drawn in by the story/maybe humor/maybe curiosity about the Coeur d'Alenes and at the end, is smacked between the eyes with a father-son philosophy that transcends culture. The ending is very teary for some of us, anyway!  If you've ever watched Northern Exposure, you'll recognize "Elaine" and "Shelly."  Smoke Signals feels a bit like NE to me in terms of quirkiness and humor.

[edited]

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 25 2011, 09:29

Bass or Bass The Video  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQh-reoPZY
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2011, 10:13

As Badlands said, you'll have a tough job topping this one, Milamber. I'd love to know who some of the people in it are  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2011, 10:57

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 25 2011, 16:13)
As Badlands said, you'll have a tough job topping this one, Milamber. I'd love to know who some of the people in it are  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'd love to know what they think of being used in a quality production.

How're you gonna top it Colarnol maybe Pochahontas.

Now that will be SHOCKING :O  :O  :O
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2011, 11:17

I wonder what this lot would think of it:

http://www.topix.com/forum/who/country-and-western

:laugh:
Profile PM 
281 replies since Feb. 12 2011, 14:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (15) < ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net