Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It's just good.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pacha Daddy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 19 2001, 09:05

Dragged out my vinyl copy of Airborn and have been listening to Platinum a lot lately. It's one of those pieces that, to me, just got buried and unlistened to for a while.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. Great stuff. The howling guitar at the end is worth the trip. (And yeah, now and then I'll flip the disk for the guilty pleasure of Punkadiddle.)
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 19 2001, 15:58

Yes, Pacha Daddy! I had buried it for YEARS, and now have rediscovered it. Esp. Charleston: So surprising how Mike combines the sax (!) theme with the 'disco' bass. Looks quite strange when you write the notes down. Tried to understand it for hours, but gave up. Mike's genius again!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2002, 05:29

Punkadiddle is by far the best track on the album. very cool bass.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 13 2002, 14:58

the album sounds so lively, i think you can hear the fun and excitement that went into the recording! the use of horns is inspired, and north star is a tremendous climax!...also, in contrast to many other peoples opinions, i think Into Wonderland is a delightful song, one of the best vocal songs that Mike has ever written!...very underrated album i think, and such a break from what had gone before...the incantations/platinum/qe2/five miles out sequence is one of the strongest runs in mike's whole career IMHO...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 04 2002, 22:41

i love part 2.....i love playing along with it! biggrin such a fun tune...and punkadiddle rox also!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 03:39

Yeah! Punkadiddle rules...I love the live version too. I have fond memories of listening to Punkadiddle over and over and over and over....

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 00:11

hahaha i know what u mean timshen!!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 05:48

Yeah! I have a website named Punkadiddle. It's such a rocking tune! The four parts of Platinum are all good, and I also love I Got Rhythm. It's a really fun album to listen to, and probably my favourite of the seventies, even though it seems so much simpler than the others.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2002, 12:41

platinum is marvelous... except for possibly the last two tunes ;) I never really liked punkadiddle... but how come no one's mentioned Woodhenge? the atmosphere in that piece is just superb.
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 14:57

Platinum is one of my favourites! The title song is easily one of Mike's best ever. All four parts. Very cleverly written, having parts one and two as delightful rock tunes, part three as an amusing comic relief, and part four as a finale. Woodhenge might be one of Mike's first attempts at doing pure ambient music, maybe? I like how Into Wonderland pretends to be serious and emotional, but comes in with all the tongue-in-cheek goofiness. The best part of Punkadiddle are the first 50 seconds. ;)

Excellent album, if only for the sidelong song.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since April 19 2001, 09:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net