Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: It's a Wonderful Feeling, The Perfectionist Creates Perfection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SoimSandheaver Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 11 2006, 11:46

I want to tell you all about the most peculiar yet wonderful experience I had about an hour ago. Before I go into it, I want to say that HR has been my favourite MO Album for quite some time, and I've listened to it on many, many occasions. This one was quite different.

The day I had been experiencing was very unpleasant. After coming off a particular encounter that left the whole house trembling on extremely unbearable tension, I did something I usually do to keep me sane. I barricaded myself in my room, got my Walkman, thrust HR inside and decided to listen to it on absolutely full volume.

I wanted to shut myself away from the entire world. I didn't want anyone to know that I existed. I didn't want to know that anybody else existed. I just wanted the world to be comprised of myself, enclosed in complete tranquillity. So, I listened to HR by myself, all alone, covered in the duvet so I could stay warm, and what a bizarre feeling it was.

As I listened to the music, I remembered a time in my life that was a complete clash. The one event in my life which can be described as both the absolute happiest moment and the most terrible moment I have ever experienced. I focused on the happy part, and I heard the voice of the choir at the end of Part 1 soar and completely engulf my mind. I was watching it from above. I felt like a cloud, I had melted into nature, and I was full of rain, full of emotion, just ready to burst. I looked at myself and for once I felt no disgrace with who I was. Then, like the experience I remembered, I let loose, and it rained and rained and rained.

As this happened, I opened my eyes. The dream was over. I looked, and I was still covered in the shell I had made out of my duvet covers. I was shivering with a feeling of terror and joy. Something I can't quite describe clearly. All I know is that at that moment, it was complete perfection. Everything in HR had come together to create utopia in my mind. The demons that had plagued me were killed by the tranquillity he had created. And for the briefest of moments, I felt free. It was freedom I had never experienced before. Nothing was bothering my ever-worrying mind.

Anyway, that's enough of me being so self-indulgent. I just need to tell people how I feel, as I have no-one else to tell. If I had a therapist, I'd be telling them. But I've never felt that way before, and Mike has made me feel just perfect. And I thought that the only suitable people to tell would be the loving community of tubular.net.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has had any similar experience that they would like to share. Maybe nothing as intense as what I have put, but there's no other way that I can find to describe it. Has Mike ever made anyone else on this board feel a certain way, as perfect as his music is?

I wish for love, peace and many happy days to be bestowed amongst all of you. And on that note, I bid you all farewell.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Pendragon Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2006, 19:27

Wow...  Nice.   :)

I don't think Mike's music has ever inspired anything that intense in times of trouble for me, but I did have a weird experience listening to Crystal Clear once.  I was laying out in the sun on a gorgeous summer day with TSODE on my Walkman.   I was floating, I was flying.  I'm not really sure where I was but when Crystal Clear ended, I found myself back on my lounge chair, feeling as though I'd just woken up, but knowing I'd never really been asleep.

As for Hergest Ridge, it has more than once triggered a panic attack for me, something I'm not normally prone to.  To each his own I suppose.

;)
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2006, 09:17

I often turned to Amarok in my time of need simply because the climaxes in that piece were so intense as to be almost unbearable. I don' tend to listen to it much these days (in fact i have gone from around 3 times a week to months now, not sure why, just giving it some space i think)

Amarok got me through some very tough times and will always be special to me

Best

Ryan

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 07:56

I often think of Hergest Ridge as being an old friend, I know this friendship will last the rest of my life and beyond, (do they have CD players in the afterlife???).

I feel HR (and Ommadawn) has  got me through times of inner termoil and also, has been played many times in revellry of many happy events too   :D, these albums can stir up profound emotions inside of me. I think  these feelings are intensified after visiting Hergest Ridge (the place) for myself, seeing the surroundings in which the music was composed/created  :cool:  :D.  I  have the desire to move near the Ridge,..... one day Moonchildhippy.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 14:23

I'm sure they do have CD Players of some sort in the afterlife. Maybe even chambers of solitude, for a bit of private time. If I had my way, Hergest Ridge would be playing all the time. A Chamber made far above the clouds, where happiness and sadness collide for a thunderous release.

Anyway, back to the to the topic, thanks for some of your replies. I'm being honest when I say that this was one of the most intense experiences of my life, and it reminded me of Mike's description of his "Exegesis" therapy in an interview he did about two months ago.

I recently watched The Shawshank Redemption, and this line jumped out at me and it just perfectly reflects the experience I felt when I heard HR at full volume, whilst I was a prisoner of my own mind, self-doubt and depression:

I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.

Anyway, hope everybody's feeling fine. Feel free to post more of your dazzling experiences in this thread. I'll probably just pop in from time to time.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 16:26

I think both HR & Ommadawn are like places you can go. Music that creates a place, that isn't on its way to somewhere else. Like stopping your car by the side of the road and go out and sit on a log in the woods, that kind of thing. Splendidly free of modernity's restlessness.

Both HR & Ommadawn hold magical meaning to me, and it's really too personal to tell someone else about, but I'm glad to see that others seem to experience the same thing.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2006, 18:10

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Nov. 13 2006, 19:23)
I'm sure they do have CD Players of some sort in the afterlife. Maybe even chambers of solitude, for a bit of private time. If I had my way, Hergest Ridge would be playing all the time. A Chamber made far above the clouds, where happiness and sadness collide for a thunderous release.

Anyway, back to the to the topic, thanks for some of your replies. I'm being honest when I say that this was one of the most intense experiences of my life, and it reminded me of Mike's description of his "Exegesis" therapy in an interview he did about two months ago.

I recently watched The Shawshank Redemption, and this line jumped out at me and it just perfectly reflects the experience I felt when I heard HR at full volume, whilst I was a prisoner of my own mind, self-doubt and depression:

When it's my turn to ride the Cold Wind to Valhalla, I must have Queen's Another One Bites The Dust (as you know I'm nuts on Queen, and also this is my sense of humour  :laugh:) , and also Ommadawn Part 1 played, preferably in its entirity ( I will NOT be happy if it isn't,and WILL come back to haunt the guilty party) , and I'd  also love folks to dance around to the Rolling Stones' Sympathy For The Devil ( quite possibly The Stones' finest track)     :cool:.
Hey Hergest Ridge, and Far Above The Clouds  playing all the time in the afterlife, hey that's cool   :cool:.

I wonder if Mike does ever read the postings  on TubularBoard at all, if he does then I'm sure he'll know what pleasure/ relief from sadness his music can bring.  Thank You Mike  :D.

BTW Sandheaver what's this interview Mike did about two months ago, t wasn't that Mail on Sunday one was it as that was back in March. Is a transcription of this recent interview available please .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 13:09

It may have been that one actually. I couldn't really remember when it was, but I do remember being very move by what he had talked about. I am waiting with huge anticipation for his autobiography. It should be a good read.

I'm actually feeling rather weak at the moment. I gave blood for the first time at about 2PM, but had to stop after about eight minutes because I was starting to feel faint. I ended up having to stay at the blood donor place for about three hours longer than intended just to come round.

Hopefully, listening to Incantations will give me a bit of a boost. Or, I could listen to HR itself. It will be at least two years before I'll be able to give blood again, they've had to take me off the list!

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2006, 19:21

Indeed, this autobiography should be interesting reading.  I wonder when it's released.
I've been giving blood since I was 18, on a session earlier this year  I was having a drink afterwards and felt faint, took me back to the beds to lie down, was blasted with cool air from a fan, given much orange squash, took me about an hour longer than I intended to stay there to get back to normal.

Follow your heart Sandheaver if it says to you listen to Incantations or Hergest Ridge or indeed both , then go ahaed and do it     :cool:  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2009, 23:06

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 13 2006, 16:26)
I think both HR & Ommadawn are like places you can go. Music that creates a place, that isn't on its way to somewhere else.

That's an interesting way of looking at them, Lars. I really wish I'd known Hergest Ridge during my troubled-youth years because I think I would have been drawn to it as I was to Ommadawn. I've often seen HR described as 'pastoral', but I think that's a little misleading. Perhaps it isn't quite the cathartic that Ommadawn is, but HR has its tension & release as well as its peace & beauty.

PS: I was sure I recalled Mike Oldfield being mentioned on the "I'm Alan Partridge" show and I just found it on YouTube (from :43 to 1:27). There's a bit of Hergest Ridge playing in the background before Alan calls him "small-minded" and "nasty".  :laugh:

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2009, 17:20

Quote (Sweetpea @ Feb. 02 2009, 05:06)
PS: I was sure I recalled Mike Oldfield being mentioned on the "I'm Alan Partridge" show and I just found it on YouTube (from :43 to 1:27). There's a bit of Hergest Ridge playing in the background before Alan calls him "small-minded" and "nasty".  :laugh:

:O I had not seen that one before. Is Alan Partridge back? Actually nevermind, I'll google him right after typing this post.

Alan has mentioned Mike before. When he had a punk band as a guest on his short-lived talk show, he said (as I recall it) that Mike Oldfield and Jean Michel Jarre could kick their asses anytime.    :p
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2009, 03:41

I seem to remember Coogan making a short film a few years back as Alan Partridge,where he`s kind of rambling through the countryside and stuff.Anyway during his jaunt he makes mention that he is "not allowed to ramble onto Mike Oldfield`s Estate"..And then he kind of pulls this great expression where he`s obviously remembering some kind of bizarre God only knows what incident that only Partridge could get himself involved in.Heh heh made me laugh,when I saw it at the time.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 02 2009, 19:38

Quote (Harmono @ Feb. 03 2009, 17:20)
[quote=Sweetpea,Feb. 02 2009, 05:06]... Mike Oldfield and Jean Michel Jarre could kick their asses anytime.

It's really funny you should mention that Sweetpea/Harmono.

I used to try and meditate to music and the two albums I found to be most successful were MO's Hergest Ridge and JMJ's Equinoxe. You could just float off somewhere with a very tingly feeling which usually started in the fingers and then spread further afield.

BTW Harmono - I love your avatar. I'm a huge Cream fan as well as MO and I'd recognise EC's old Cream period SG (with The Fool paint job) anywhere. Having said that - at this scale - that could be an image of the replica model Gibson now produce (why?) as opposed to the original, which I believe is still owned by Todd Rundgren.

I'm also a big fan of (the original) Wishbone Ash and Pink Floyd as well as Cream - all bands which Mike mentions approvingly in his autobiography "Changeling" which I am just finishing...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 10 2009, 13:34

This is the first time I've posted on this forum, but I was so moved by the first post, that I had to recount my own experience of HR.  I suffered a severe mental breakdown in 2003 which left me unable to work - my life fell apart.  I was listening to HR one day, feeling its beauty calm my troubled mind, when an at the precise moment the first guitar solo enters in Part 1, I suddenly felt immense empathy with Mike.  I felt his pain.  The tears just poured from my eyes, and when I'd finished crying (at the end of Part 1), I felt reassured and freed from my feelings of isolation.  I now knew I could get through this mental illness.  Thank you Mike.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: May 08 2009, 12:17

Greetings to all Oldfield fans-

I live in Tennessee, USA, and after reading some of the posts regarding "Hergest Ridge" I felt inspired to add my own. Way back in 1974, (I'm 50 years old now,) I ventured to participate in a charity walk covering several miles of downtown Knoxville. It was a nasty rainy day, and my brand new red "Converse" tennis shoes dyed my socks red! My friends and I wandered into a record store and there it was - "Hergest Ridge" the new Mike Oldfield LP. I didn't have any money so my best friend loaned me the $6 to buy it. When I got home, anxious to hear what the "Tubular Bells" maestro had created next, I was disappointed to hear very noticeable vinyl noise. My first impression of HR was "I don't like this at all!" The music sounded weird and off key to my teenage ears. Back then, $6 was a lot of money so I forced myself to give HR several more listens. About a week later, it was like a light went off in my mind, and I suddenly understood the music. As another fan here commented so beautifully, HR became my refuge, my secret discovery - as if Mike created it just for me. In the following months, HR became my best friend, my comfort, my escape, and so much more... If I was happy, the music reflected this. If I was sad or feeling down, the music was right there with me. I knew I had found the music of my soul, so to speak. I eventually returned the LP hoping to get a better pressing, without the noise, but several attempts failed so I accepted this album was flawed. A couple years later, when a friend played his copy for me and there was no noise, my mouth dropped down to my feet and thankfully, he said, "Harry, I know how much this album means to you - take it!" Over the past 35 years, I keep rediscovering HR, and it feels like my best friend. I loved the remix version in the Boxed set but felt, like many fans, a lot of the subtle beauty, (like the trumpet and snare drums on side one) were forever lost. The "Thunderstorm" section on side two, (one of my favorites parts) does sound better and crisper on the remix, but the collective mood of the album as a whole didn't feel right to me. Still, I get goose bumps and admit I occasionally shed a tear or two when I listen to HR. I consider this album to be an integral part of my love for music. I also respect Mike's honesty on this album - I mean, how can you understand and appreciate light without darkness, or day without night? He masterfully shares these truthes with us, accurately expressing his own struggles at this time in his life. I firmly believe one has to deeply feel to create art with real depth, and I think Mike accomplishes this on HR. It's not all "pretty", but neither is real life. Yet, because of the torment conveyed in some of the musical passages, we can truly appreciate, in contrast, the heavenly bliss in others, like the infamous "Oboe" section. To me, this album represents true genius, as I expect other dedicated fans also feel. I sincerely hope Mercury Records does justice to the rerelease of HR, offering loyal fans both versions in a deluxe package! Call me crazy, but this is one of the most important albums in my life, and like good wine, Hergest Ridges gets better with time... Thank you Mike Oldfield - you have deeply touched a soul across the ocean :o)
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 15:48

I see Hergest Ridge as a kind of 24-hour experience...

The beggining of part one resembles A nice, cool, semi-winter morning. Through the course of a beautiful day (reprisented by the center bulk of the album) it leads to sunset, which is the repeated theme from the beggining.

Part Two reprisents the night, how it shares frightful (thunderstorm) and pleasant (everything else) characteristics, than ends, ready for sunrise again.

Or maybe I'm just insane :D

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
15 replies since Nov. 11 2006, 11:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net