Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: ISO Hiawatha, As per my post on the Millenium Bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 16 2005, 10:15

I admire the depth to which you have analysed TBIII. That is something I haven't done as yet. This is now the correct place to discuss this as it was off topic in TMB.

Would you be kind enough to note where each track from TBIII is descended from in terms of TBI/TBII please?

Cheers!  :cool:

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 17 2005, 09:58

Well I'm not Hiawatha, and if you want, completely ignore me, but let's see if Hiawatha agrees with me...

TSOS - Theme from introduction and Sentinel - the idea that the piano should open it playing the main role. Also, note how this track sounds almost 'remixed' as per my thoughts as to this whole album ("If TBI was The Great Experiment, and TBII was the Great Experiment to remake the Great Experiment, then TBIII was The Great Experiment to Remix the Great Experiment")

TWE - Linking track - feels like the guitar section should have been on Weightless
TJITC - as far as I'm aware, completely original
O - Taking elements from Shadow On The Wall, and of course Altered State from TBII.
SD - Similar feel to Taurus III at times, albeit darker and moodier.
TIC - A remake of Red Dawn
MITR - Moonlight Shadow II
TOTM - A Piano-y bit - a la the powerful piano bit in Sunjammer, albeit darker again, although I think all of this album's darker than TBI and TBII
MW - I don't know about exact composition or instrumentation, but this feels a lot like Mayan Gold to me.
S - A reprise of TSOS, here to provide tension to FATC.
FATC - uses the bassline from TBI, and the drums from Ommadawn.

So what do you think? Did I get it right? (gold star if I do :) )

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 17 2005, 20:10

Quote (arron11196 @ April 17 2005, 15:58)
MW - I don't know about exact composition or instrumentation, but this feels a lot like Mayan Gold to me.

Moonwatch has similar melody to the one in Ommadawn Part One e.g. at 6:10.

To me, Outcast is more similar to the Thrash bit in TB (especially in old TB-concerts).

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 23 2005, 14:49

Thanks both for your replies. But from what you have written, the tracks from TBIII are derived from more than TBI/II in your opinion, which I find even more confusing.  :/

I think I need to sit down and do some analysis myself with just the TBIII CD as usually these days, I tend to only play the live DVD version and get caught up in the whole gig experience as opposed to simply the music.  :)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 23 2005, 17:55

Hmm...

I think I remember reading somewhere that as a concept, TB III started out life as just an experiment - the idea was to see if Mike could venture into this sort of music successfully.

from http://www.orabidoo.de/tb/tb3.htm ,

"It sort of related to how the first (TB2) one came across. I was looking at films.. God Father 2...(etc) and thought 'well, perhaps I could do a Tubular Bells Two'. I was still with Virgin then and I suggested it to Simon Draper, and he thought it was a great idea. At that time I wasn't getting on well with Virgin so I kept it in the back of my mind - sort of saying 'Well, you're not having it', (heh, heh), I kept it in the back of my mind for three or four years until I got free from Virgin. Tubular Bells 2 was a great success, and we did a wonderful concert at Edinburgh Castle. It was just a real challenge and a lovely thing to do. When I moved to Ibiza I got the idea to do a ... not all the way through... but a Tubular Bells kind of album with danceable parts of it, because I heard this music everywhere I went there... dance music. A friend of mine gave me a tape of a German techno artist and I listened through it... (TURNS TO CLIVE BANKS) I'll have to remind you about that, there's almost a direct Tubular Bells rip-off on this album! (TURNS BACK TO PRESS) Normally they change a couple of notes! Then I just put it into my computer and I analysed it. What sounds they use; and they all seem to use very similar sounds - you've got to have these sounds. I narrowed it down to one bass drum sound, one hi-hat sound, one snare sound and a synthesizer. Bass lines are very important and you don't change key - it's always in the same key. If there is a tune, it's a minimalist tune, just a few notes and sounds. Well, then I thought 'that's what it is'. It took me about twelve and a half seconds - I created this on my computer and tried experimenting with the Tubular Bells theme on the top, and it seemed to work. "

Taken from http://www.amadian.net/secrets.htm ,

"The song Man In The Rain was previously recorded in 1983 shortly after Moonlight Shadow and later during the Islands recording sessions using a german band with Barry Palmer on vocals. Both were unsatisfactory but the later was revised in 1991 to became Heaven's Open with new lyrics and melody."

I also read somewhere else that MITR was rejected for HO cause it didn't feel like the rest of the album.

Also of intrest:

"Mike said that he recorded around 70 minutes of music for Tubular Bells III, before cutting it down to 46 on the finished album."

Whew, long post.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 23 2005, 18:55

T4, Sorry I did not respond until now. Where is the original post I made so I can flesh it out? I was caught for a while trying to figure out "ISO". I eventually gave up.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: April 24 2005, 02:04

Quote (hiawatha @ April 23 2005, 18:55)
T4, Sorry I did not respond until now. Where is the original post I made so I can flesh it out? I was caught for a while trying to figure out "ISO". I eventually gave up.

Hi - I apologise for the abbreviation of In Search Of  :/

The original thread and post is HERE.

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since April 16 2005, 10:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net