Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Isn't Mike Oldfield the God of Music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
alex
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 07:02

Yes, that's true, Maria - I completely can not write...
As for being a poet - I dare not be one and not only because I can't write... Mostly because Mike is the Greatest Poet ( Metaphysical Poet at least...) and I dare not even try...

Perhaps now we'll start a discussion why Mike is The Greatest Poet? It would be nice, I think:

Mike is not God ( You suggest so! ), then let us worship a Man! Then His Perfection would be possible to validate!

alex
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 07:50

which "perfection" ?

doesn't he make mistakes?
does he never fail?
does he everything "perfect" ?

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 09:17

Yeah, alex, honestly - do you think everything he ever put out is really great? I daresay you'd be the only one. While I personally think that a lot ( ! ) of what he's done is among the very best music ever, I also think he's put out his fair amount of bull. Not to offend anyone.  :)
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 13:35

alex, i didn't say at any moment u can't write... i just meant that it's not easy to build up a solid philosophical theory... that's all
and for your question, yes, there's poetry in his music, though honestly, regarding some lyrics... i can think of at least one or two better poets than him... and once more, i don't feel the need to worship anyone or anything...

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
alex
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 21 2003, 07:08

Maria, I do not suggest that You wrote that I could not write.
I suppose and I know ,and I am sure I can not write - nevermind - this is out of the topic.
Now I just feel guilty that I am a decadent and a catiline and that I left the Idea completely mis-shapen... It is all my fault. I was trying to express something that can not be expressed by someone like  me.
It would have been a good theory and many would believe, if it was created by somebody else... But it happens that people take some tasks that they should not take.
It is tollerable sometimes, if the matter is not too serious...
Unfortunately this matter was much too serious to be touched by me. This is the problem.
Well, it is time to say my sorry to anyone, who had to suffer while reading the messages and first of all Great Sorry to The Idea.
Not The Idea was wrong- I was wrong!
Please, forget that it was me, who said that Mike is God! Find a new meaning in this statement - better, deeper, more perfect meaning and try to forgive me...
alex
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2003, 10:42

Oh, come on, man...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 21 2003, 14:29

I think you'd do better if you moved the emphasis away from a human figure like Mike, and looked instead into how it could be argued that the feelings experienced by music such as Mike's (and many others) are a manifestation of something much further reaching, which could be called God, or the use of music in invoking God (making reference to the use of music in worship in many world cultures and religions).
Trying to depict Mike as some kind of god puts a flaw in the argument straight away because it's too easy to see how human he is.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 13:30

IMHO--If I believed anything, it would be that the yin/yang…the male/female…the god force/goddess force flow in perfect balance through all of us--the God/Goddess within, through which we connect to the wellspring of creativity, serendipity, synchronicity, inspiration.

Mike is no more or no less a God or a Goddess than anyone, but he sure can take what he finds at the source of secrets and develop it in a very pleasing way—to our ears, anyway. :)

Is MO the god of music? Nah.…”He’s a man. He’s just a man. And I’ve….” Oh--wrong composer quote.  He will grow old and his physical body will die like all mortals, and will eventually be turned to dust, ash, or maybe soil. It doesn't matter whether he is cremated and scattered over Hergest Ridge, or mummified and paraded out for special occasions--dead is dead.

:O  

What happens to his (or anyone's) spirit/lifeforce after his Earth Walk, no one truly knows, and of course ideas about that depend on one's belief system. There are many paths up the Mountain, and there is room for each one. I don’t think it will matter which path one pursues so much as how s/he has conducted herself/himself along the way.  

Although we come from many belief systems, traditions, and paths, Mike's music reaches us all, and we are here for the love of a particular composer's music--music that many of us have found not only enjoyable, but transforming. Music that transforms, improves our life, and maybe motivates us to accomplish more than we would have otherwise done is indeed very special.  Although my response is “no” to your question Re: Mike being the god of music, through this music he helps many of us to self-actualize and be the best we can be. That’s not at odds with goals of many religions and spiritual undertakings (or counselors, or educators, etc. for that matter!;) . He is a facilitator…a catalyst….an….an…angel? Angel of Music? Gee, I seem to be on an Andrew Lloyd Webber kick today, but yeah, for those of us who believe that there are angels among us—human or otherwise—I could well accept that Mike is a human Angel of Music. BTW...hopefully, no matter what, his music will live on and on and on and on.
:D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 15:43

Angel of Music - yeah, I kinda like that...  :D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 15:49

Quote (Inkanta @ Feb. 24 2003, 13:30)
He will grow old and his physical body will die like all mortals, and will eventually be turned to dust, ash, or maybe soil.

Yeah, he'll be among the decomposing composers then.

All praise Monty Python, Angels of Humour.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 24 2003, 22:23

:)  :D  :laugh:

When does 1 + 1 = 30?

An Angel of Music + An Angel of Humor = TB 30

Hmm....may still not know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but there are apparently two that dance on Tubular Bells 30.  :p

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
70 replies since July 21 2000, 08:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net