Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Islands vs. Islands!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 24 2010, 20:03

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 24 2010, 19:30)
@ nightspore: outside of the field of classical music and classical concertos, to me cornet, trumpet and flugelhorn are the same thing. :) Anyway, thanks a lot for the links to the other songs. I can't listen to them right now because the slow connection I have on the computer I'm typing on right now (a laptop) doesn't allow me to properly visualize (and listen to) YouTube stuff in a flowing manner. I shall let you know more when I get back home. Regarding "The Sailor's Tale" being jazzy, well, I think that my utter dislike of jazz is pretty much very well known all over this board, so I won't state it again here. But this King Crimson album is basically prog, right? You know that I love prog. Even that Pekka Pohjola album which Mike contributed to, whose title I won't bother writing down :D and which is, of course, pure prog, has got quite a few passages all over it which could very easily be described as "jazzy". Yet I absolutely love that album. :)

You're welcome, Ugo. On balance, I think you'd probably like the album. Sinfield's words "Impaled on nails of ice/And raked with emerald fire" in "The Letters" are very effective. Fancy ditching him in favour of the lyricist on Larks' Tongues in Aspic (see my next post).
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2010, 20:06

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 24 2010, 09:05)
Keep in mind that I think Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Red are, to me, the pinnacle of King Crimson's career. They do noisy jazz like no one else, and I love it.

One high point of Larks' Tongues... is the absolute hilariousness of "Easy Money". Consider these terrible lyrics:

Your admirers in the street
Gotta hoot and stamp their feet
In the heat from your physique
As you twinkle by in moccasin sneakers

The last line is accompanied by the sound of a set of car keys being bounced across a table. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard this.

But those who criticize Mike's lyrics should appreciate that they are seldom worse than those above!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 25 2010, 08:22

Stake a lizard by the throat, Jim!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2010, 12:34

Actually, Lars, I consider pre-Belew and post-Belew Crimson to be two different bands, so I can't really compare Red and Discipline. Different music for different moods.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 18:18

@ Nightspore: I've managed to listen to the whole of King Crimson's Islands album. I will most definitely buy it. Apart from the weird sax section, "Sailor's Tale" doesn't sound jazzy to me [by the way, I could recognize Mel Collins' sax a mile away - he didn't change at all when he started playing in the APP!]; wherever a mellotron plays, the music can never get jazzy. What the heck, Pekka Pohjola's album sounds jazzier than that! :) "Sailor's Tale" is a great piece [the crescendos are amazing!], "Formentera Lady" is fantastic, "Ladies of the Road" is really cool, strong stuff (hey, did they really have the guts to sing those lyrics in 1971? :D Yes, they are really "colourful" as you say, but... ); really, the whole album is extremely good. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2010, 00:42

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 26 2010, 18:18)
@ Nightspore: I've managed to listen to the whole of King Crimson's Islands album. I will most definitely buy it. Apart from the weird sax section, "Sailor's Tale" doesn't sound jazzy to me [by the way, I could recognize Mel Collins' sax a mile away - he didn't change at all when he started playing in the APP!]; wherever a mellotron plays, the music can never get jazzy. What the heck, Pekka Pohjola's album sounds jazzier than that! :) "Sailor's Tale" is a great piece [the crescendos are amazing!], "Formentera Lady" is fantastic, "Ladies of the Road" is really cool, strong stuff (hey, did they really have the guts to sing those lyrics in 1971? :D Yes, they are really "colourful" as you say, but... ); really, the whole album is extremely good. :cool:

Glad to help, Ugo. I like the climax of "Sailor's Tale" too - especially that eerie electronic sound that's a bit like an aeroplane. I imagine a few fans would have been quite dismayed (pace Sir M!;) to buy Lark's Tonges on the strength of this. Of course, Mike's Islands is still better.  :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2010, 04:38

"Formantera Lady" reminds me of Pink Floyd's soundtrack to More - no doubt because Formantera is the next island to Ibiza. There's even a shared reference to pine trees.
Profile PM 
26 replies since Nov. 22 2010, 18:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net