Islands 3  [33.33%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Islands vs. Islands!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Incantations Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 18:17

Okay, I will explain myself. I am referring to our Mikey's Islands album (Option 1), vs. Islands by King Crimson (Option 2).

For me it would have been King Crimson's Islands if it weren't for The Wind Chimes Parts 1 and 2  :)

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 18:54

Islands is King Crimson's mastepiece IMO. I love it to bits.

If you consider Islands to be Mike's masterpiece then you propably think 1986 was good year for fashion.
:D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 18:54

Definitely Mike. I don't like King Crimson. :) Also, "Islands" (the song) is my second all-time fav song.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 20:16

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 22 2010, 18:54)
Definitely Mike. I don't like King Crimson. :) Also, "Islands" (the song) is my second all-time fav song.

I agree with Ugo - although I'll add here that I agree King Crimson's Islands is their best album and sounds nothing like (for example) the noisy Lark's Tongues in Aspic. Have you heard this one, Ugo? I think you might, at least, not dislike it. Here's "Song of the Gulls":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N68OUn4isg&feature=related
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 23:17

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 23 2010, 08:54)

If you consider Islands to be Mike's masterpiece then you propably think 1986 was good year for fashion.

Come on Lars... 86 , just like me I bet you had a Pink mohair jumper and yellow canvas pants with probably a pair of adidas rome's :laugh:  :cool:

And don't get me started on hair gel......
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 23:21

Forgot to sate my reasoning.

Islands by King Crimson I find to be among Larks Tongues in Aspic, Lizard, and Red with their masterpieces. It has a more linear (less crowded) aproach than Lizard. Boz Burrells Vocals rule on the title track too. But overall I find the structure and overal music slightly of better quality on Lizard versus Islands.

As a side note, you have to put into consideration that Lizard is in a scary place genre wise. Jazz people and (Straitforward) Rock people are very specific on what classifies as rock. So Jazz fans regard Lizard as a rock album, and Rock fans regard it as a Jazz album. Yup, set for failure at the very beggining.

Besides Lizard I prefer Larks' slightly over Islands

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 23:22

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 23 2010, 08:54)

Two Euros if you can guess his favorite :laugh:  :laugh:

Wonder what number 3 is???

If we were talking N.S's faves then Ommadawn or Incantations would be my Pick :laugh:
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 23:22

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 22 2010, 10:54)

I think We all know what I think Mike's Masterpiece is  :zzz:

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 23:42

Quote (Incantations @ Nov. 23 2010, 13:22)
Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 22 2010, 10:54)

I think We all know what I think Mike's Masterpiece is  :zzz:

Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped conjure up the stolen data tapes.

Or given you clairvoyance to find the rebel's hidden fortr....

Oops wrong forum :laugh:

Sorry Snoit a Tnac Ni. :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 23:50

Quote (milamber @ Nov. 22 2010, 23:22)
Two Euros if you can guess his favorite :laugh:  :laugh:

Ugo did say at one time. I remember it had "Heaven" in the title. I think it was something by Boyzone.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2010, 23:51

Quote (Incantations @ Nov. 22 2010, 23:21)
and Rock fans regard it as a Jazz album. Yup, set for failure at the very beggining.

Going by the song with Jon Anderson's vocals, it's a pop album.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2010, 08:57

@ nightspore: are you sure that's King Crimson? It almost sounds like classical music. I vaguely remember not liking King Crimson because of not liking the vocals, and because of their music being way too overcrowded - too much stuff in it. Lemme hear another song from the same album, you may change my mind about them, and about that album... this is happening quite often, lately, in here! :D

About my fav songs: yes, my all-time fav is called "Heaven", but it's not by Boyzone. Number 3 is - "Love Me for A Reason". Yes, I know it's not an original song by them, but I don't care. :)

@ milamber: in 1986 I had a bomber leather jacket, leather gloves, jeans and Timberland shoes. [I still wear Timberlands now, by the way.] It was the Paninari time here in Italy. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2010, 13:25

Islands by King Crimson I find to be among Larks Tongues in Aspic, Lizard, and Red with their masterpieces.

Discipline beats all of them.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2010, 15:01

Quote (Syd B @ Nov. 23 2010, 13:25)
Islands by King Crimson I find to be among Larks Tongues in Aspic, Lizard, and Red with their masterpieces.

Discipline beats all of them.

I find the three 80s albums to be OK and nothing more. It doesn't sound a lot like 70s KC.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2010, 19:21

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 23 2010, 08:57)
@ nightspore: are you sure that's King Crimson? It almost sounds like classical music. I vaguely remember not liking King Crimson because of not liking the vocals, and because of their music being way too overcrowded - too much stuff in it. Lemme hear another song from the same album, you may change my mind about them, and about that album... this is happening quite often, lately, in here! :D

Hi Ugo, yes, it's by KC; it's a prelude to the title song, which is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQa4Ska9-g

The annoying thing about the group is that each of their records sounds wildly different from the others. I don't like all of Islands, but parts of it are quite good. I hate Larks Tongues and Red for precisely the reasons you give. The vocalist on the above at least sings clearly.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2010, 19:54

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 24 2010, 01:21)
The annoying thing about the group is that each of their records sounds wildly different from the others.

Do you mean that they changed their style from album to album? That's very unusual for a "prog" group. Even after Genesis transitioned from the pure PeterGabriel-ish "prog rock" to the PhilCollins-ish "prog pop" they did keep the funtamentals of their style pretty much intact. Yes did the same, the Moody Blues did the same (at least in the first seven albums), Jethro Tull did the same [at least up to 1980!!]. I thought that all "prog" people should be at least a bit consistent with their own style... yet King Crimson were not? Please elaborate further. :)

"Islands" is a very nice song. It doesn't have much of a development before it gets totally instrumental, but when it does it's really nice. The trumpet is wonderful, the mellotron is a bit out-of-tune but it's cool. :cool: So is Mel Collins really playing on this? Mel Collins a.k.a. the early APP saxophonist? Mel Collins a.k.a. the performer of the world-famous sax solo in "The Gold Bug" ? :) I didn't know he used to be part of King Crimson.

If I get one more song I like I will definitely buy this album. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2010, 23:51

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 23 2010, 19:54)
Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 24 2010, 01:21)
The annoying thing about the group is that each of their records sounds wildly different from the others.

Do you mean that they changed their style from album to album? That's very unusual for a "prog" group. Even after Genesis transitioned from the pure PeterGabriel-ish "prog rock" to the PhilCollins-ish "prog pop" they did keep the funtamentals of their style pretty much intact. Yes did the same, the Moody Blues did the same (at least in the first seven albums), Jethro Tull did the same [at least up to 1980!!]. I thought that all "prog" people should be at least a bit consistent with their own style... yet King Crimson were not? Please elaborate further. :)

"Islands" is a very nice song. It doesn't have much of a development before it gets totally instrumental, but when it does it's really nice. The trumpet is wonderful, the mellotron is a bit out-of-tune but it's cool. :cool: So is Mel Collins really playing on this? Mel Collins a.k.a. the early APP saxophonist? Mel Collins a.k.a. the performer of the world-famous sax solo in "The Gold Bug" ? :) I didn't know he used to be part of King Crimson.

If I get one more song I like I will definitely buy this album. :)

I think there are generally two albums per style. I haven't heard In The Wake of Poseidon, but I understand it's very much in the sort of Moody Bluesish style of In the Court of the Crimson King.

Lizard and Islands form a style group, too: generally non-abrasive and melodic, but a bit more adventurous than the first two.

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, and Red are abrasive, jazzy, and I don't like them. After hearing these I lost interest in KC, and I have no idea what their subsequent albums are like.

I agree with you about "Islands" the song. According to the liner notes it's a cornet rather than a trumpet. The song always reminds me of a place off the WA coast: Penguin Island. And yes, Mel Collins is quoted as playing flute, bass flute, sax and vocals.

Pete Sinfield's lyrics are very colourful, in my opinion. "Formantera Lady" and "The Sailor's Tale" fit the oceanic theme of the album, but "The Letters" and "Ladies of the Road" don't, and probably shouldn't have been included on the album. They're not unlistenable, but they just don't fit. I hope this helps.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2010, 00:04

The two tracks I posted are by far the best on the album, in my opinion. But so that you may make an informed decision as to whether to buy, here's "The Letters":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt0JkaHdleQ&feature=related

And here's "Formantera Lady":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjAKOajuDY&feature=related

This isn't a bad song once you get past the opening "tune up".

Warning: "The Sailor's Tale" is quite jazzy!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2010, 09:05

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 23 2010, 23:51)
I think there are generally two albums per style. I haven't heard In The Wake of Poseidon, but I understand it's very much in the sort of Moody Bluesish style of In the Court of the Crimson King.

Lizard and Islands form a style group, too: generally non-abrasive and melodic, but a bit more adventurous than the first two.

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, and Red are abrasive, jazzy, and I don't like them. After hearing these I lost interest in KC, and I have no idea what their subsequent albums are like.

Keep in mind that I think Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Red are, to me, the pinnacle of King Crimson's career. They do noisy jazz like no one else, and I love it.

Anyway, Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair sound NOTHING like what they did so far; the main features are the syncopated and hot rhythms from Bill Bruford, the intricate guitar interplay between Fripp and Adrian Belew (yes, the guy who appeared on Earth Moving), and Tony Levin slippery and funky bass work. All of this is molded into Fripp's very sophisticated and high-brow view, and along the way you'll bump into Belew's poppier songs and ballads as gorgeous as Matte Kudasai.

Finally, Thrak, The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe partially return to the hard rock of Red, but with a more 90's, punchier spin to it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2010, 19:30

@ nightspore: outside of the field of classical music and classical concertos, to me cornet, trumpet and flugelhorn are the same thing. :) Anyway, thanks a lot for the links to the other songs. I can't listen to them right now because the slow connection I have on the computer I'm typing on right now (a laptop) doesn't allow me to properly visualize (and listen to) YouTube stuff in a flowing manner. I shall let you know more when I get back home. Regarding "The Sailor's Tale" being jazzy, well, I think that my utter dislike of jazz is pretty much very well known all over this board, so I won't state it again here. But this King Crimson album is basically prog, right? You know that I love prog. Even that Pekka Pohjola album which Mike contributed to, whose title I won't bother writing down :D and which is, of course, pure prog, has got quite a few passages all over it which could very easily be described as "jazzy". Yet I absolutely love that album. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
26 replies since Nov. 22 2010, 18:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net