Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Islands - Childhood's End ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
alex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 29 2000, 08:57

Has anyone read A.C.Clarke's Childhood's End?
There's a fragment about analogy of islands to people's minds ( in chapter 18 ):
Imagine that every mind is an island surrounded by the ocean. Each of them seems to be separated from others, but as a matter of fact they are joined by the background [...]
Isn't it possible that it was the inspiration for Mike to write Islands?

P.S. The quotation may include some mistakes because I have just translated it into English from Polish and I'm not a good translator!
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 29 2000, 13:44

I don't know the book. But there's a song Childhood's End by Pink Floyd (album Obscured By Clouds) which has the lines
You set sail across the sea
Of long past thoughts and memories...
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
alex Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 02:03

I don't know the song. Anyway I suppose it is more possible that Mike was inspired by this fragment of book ( isn't A.C.Clarke Mike's favourite SF writer? ).

P.S. You've got to read the book- it's great!
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 16:23

I will read it. And who wrote: "No Man Is An Island Entire Of Himself"? I think it was a famous philosopher.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 21:27

I think you'll find a lot of things have been written about Islands, comparing them to people, the mind, etc. Islands the song seems like it could almost be a kind of love song to me...

I have read Childhood's End...strange book really...could have influenced Mike somehow, but then it might not have done wink

Carsten: I believe that quote comes from John Donne. It's the one that ends with somethine like "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee" (with a lot in-between the two bits that I don't remember).
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 14:16

that reminds me, i must add Childhood's end and Obscured by clouds to my Collection of Kickass Stuff
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2001, 14:42

Thanks Korgscrew.
Forgot to say: That album PF:OBC wink also has this strange, spooky feeling slowly building up over a long period of time. MO fans might like it. I sure do. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
greenback Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2003, 00:00

no, when i see childhood's end, i think about misplaced childhood of Marillion.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2003, 04:39

Yeah - 'there is no childhood's end, cause you are my childhood friend' or something  ;)
Used to be into that album very much; now - not so much... still a good album and a good band.
I believe there's also an Iron Maiden song called Childhood's End, but I'm not sure.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Oct. 29 2000, 08:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net