Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is there really only one version?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 22 2006, 12:48

Is there really indeed only one version of "Amarok"? In contrast to just about all of Oldfield's other long works, in which he has performed and/or recorded different mixes, interpretations, do-overs, and concert versions? (Excerpts of the existing version do not count as a different version!;)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 19:16

Due to the wealth of material in Amarok, parts of it were written during Mike's teen years.

The 'Scot' theme appears in the 1971 Tubular Bells demos after what is now known as the 'Ambient Guitars' section of Part 2. You can find the demo recordings on the DVD-A of Tubular Bells 2003.

The 'Diddlybom', 'Mad Bit' and 'Russian' themes all came from an acoustic improvisation Mike did as bonus material for Sallyangie. You can find this track 'Branches' on the second disc of the 1968 Children of the Sun album.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 22 2006, 22:04

Wow, I don't notice any of this stuff. He obviously borrows his own stuff and others peoples stuff a hell of a lot.

But as for only one version of Amarok, I imagine thats because it would be pretty difficult to perform LIVE.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 06:40

I think he has only performed short bits and pieces of it... for example in the interview with Gareth Randall, and also for the "Total Guitar Magazine".
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 09:42

Quote (Jammer @ June 23 2006, 01:16)
The 'Scot' theme appears in the 1971 Tubular Bells demos after what is now known as the 'Ambient Guitars' section of Part 2.

Well... it does indeed appear in the 1971 demos, but it is after what is now known as the 'Peace' section - not 'Ambient Guitars'. I have the demos on mp3s and I'm quite sure about this. :) If anyone wants them, I shall upload them somewhere... ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
4 replies since June 22 2006, 12:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net