Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is no feedback good or bad?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 14 2006, 12:38

I'm very curious to find out if you think a track with 0 comments is a sign of a good track, or a bad track.

I used to think that a track must be bad if nobody comments on it, because people don't like giving bad feedback.

Then again, maybe it's so good that they don't have anything constructive to say about it - i.e. no suggestions for improvement.

However, many people find it difficult to put their opinions into words - particularly when it comes to music.  So they might not comment at all, even to say "great track!", because it doesn't seem enough.

I often ask people to give feedback on my tracks, possibly too often, but I do get some very very detailed feedback from a small number of people - mostly via email.  I don't get many comments on music forums.

What do you think?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2006, 14:52

I'd get a bit disheartened if a track I posted didn't receive feedback. Thankfully though, I do have a few friends from this board who would listen if I let them know about it.

I find nowadays I don't really have time to hear all the posted tracks and comment on them. This is also due to the fact that I don't really like the majority of electronic music posted here enough to be able to offer helpful comments on it. While I don't exactly hate it, I'd always have the feeling that listening to the track would be keeping me from something else I should be doing.

However, I know how not receiving feedback feels. Perhaps rather than passing any newly posted tracks off as music I can't associate with, I'll try to give the thread a read in the future.

I'd say to stand a better chance of feedback, it's best to give as informative a first post about the track as possible. If a link is just dumped in the post or the post is a link to several tracks, I'd most likely give it a miss before I even knew what it was about.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2006, 10:04

Yeah, tough question... hmm...

Maybe it can be because a lot of people come here just because it's an Oldfield forum, and they want to talk about his music, and are not particulary interested in the music someone else (a fan) makes. That could be true...

It doesn't feel that way for me... I'm mainly here to talk, but I quite often download some songs as well, just out of curiousity. To see what a fan would make. I heard some pretty interesting stuff here...

Although on commenting or not, it's not a sign I think that if a song doesn't get feedback that it must be bad. Not at all... although some artists might be more popular than others...
I think though that some people, if they don't like it, find it hard to say so. I say it when I hear something that's nice, and sometimes when I don't like it I might say like 'it's not my cup of tea, but good effort'... or something like that. And of course I mean that when I say it. But it might also be the case that a lot of people think 'nah', of 'yes, that's good' and then just go on, and do not make a comment...

Hmm... sorry, quite of a long answer, maybe to come to the conclusion that it's very hard to answer the question if it's a good or bad sign...
I'd like to see more comments I think, for the sake of the musicians here...  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2006, 11:03

Being in the middle of August, no feedback can also be a sing that almost everyone is on the beach with no internet access at all ;)

-- Wayafrer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2006, 12:21

Interesting comments so far, and I don't disagree with them at all... :)

Wayfarer, that may be true, but I think it's common for "real life" to get in the way of everything else from time to time.  Perhaps it's summer, or Christmas, or your birthday, or a friend's birthday, or you're busy at work... etc etc.  There are many, many reasons why people might not drop by.  However, people do have the time to listen, according to the views on each thread.

It may just be that it takes time to give feedback.  Perhaps there are a few people who come here, listen to a track, decide to comment on it later but forget to do it, or can't find the thread again - particularly if they come back a couple of weeks after they downloaded the track.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2006, 12:44

Quote (Moz @ Aug. 15 2006, 18:21)
Perhaps there are a few people who come here, listen to a track, decide to comment on it later but forget to do it

Hey, that happens to me very often ;-)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2006, 22:28

When I first came onto this site I tried to listen to all the fans tracks and comment on them but it became increasingly difficult for several reasons. Many were similar and I hated to just write 'great track' or something like that. I wanted to write something unique to that piece to show my intelligence and understanding of the piece. Plus I have no knowledge of music terminology so I couldn't say what I wanted to say when I wanted to say it, I couldn't even undersatnd what I wanted to say. I am in awe of anyone who can write music or play a musical instrument and the last thing I would want is to sound flippant. And, finally, it takes times to listen to tracks, and if I listen to one I must listen to them all. I already spend WAY too much time on the internet. I spend time daily in three internet sites, the other two are a fishing site that holds bi-weekly photo competitions and the SIA music forum (Aussie female singer). Then I have emails to answer and I also waste a lot of time just googling stuff, when I am really supposed to be looking for a job or doing housework. These may sound like a lot of excuses but they are real reasons and I think they would be similar to what many posters are experiencing.

I haven't listened to any fan music for ages but I am now feeling inspired to do so and will try to make it a regular commitment from now on, the question is, when to start?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Jeremy Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2006, 04:55

Hi Moz

I kinda agree with Piltdownboy in that this is a MO forum and thats what people mainly want to talk/listen/fight about. Keeping that in mind and the fact that a lot of the music in the Fan Tracks forum doesn't have much or any MO influence could be a reason for the lack of comment. It's one thing to say, as a musician, that you're "influenced" by MO, but what actual musical influences/references exist within the track? (I'm talking generally here). Maybe when people post in the Fan Tracks they could tell us more about the MO influences in the music, or what the MO inspiration was?
Have you also noticed how fast tracks move on the Fan Tracks forum? Just last night I posted on one off EeTons works and I find today that 4 new tracks/Topics have come in ahead, at that rate he'd be off the main page in a few days with just a couple of pieces of feedback, seems a bit unfair.
So, I think the Zero feed back thing is probably a combination of factors and I guess It's up to us musicians to create the best tracks we can to evoke as much feedback as possible.

Or maybe we could have a "be kind to the musicians day" where everyone who visits T.net on a particular day (advertised ofcourse) has to comment on a track!!!

- hope this ramble all makes sense!

--------------
How can they NOT like my music!
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2006, 14:04

Yup. Be Kind To The Musicians Day sounds good :)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2006, 16:04

In my case, no feedback is neither good nor bad. I've really loved some of the music I've downloaded here, and I don't think there's a single case where I haven't made a comment on something I've enjoyed.  But there is a lot of music available, and I can't actually download and listen to it all. So often I make no comment simply because I missed it, or didn't have time, and it moved off into history.

I also don't like to leave negative comments unless they're constructive. And since every musician who posts in this forum is a finer musician than I could ever be, it would be impertinent of me to suggest that I know better than they do about their music.
Usually it's just a question of personal taste. So - the track of yours, Moz, called 'Quiet Lake' - which I have downloaded and listened to, twice - just isn't really my kind of music. It's too 'clinical' or 'electronic' for my taste. But I don't think it's helpful to point that out - it tells you about me, and not about your music. So normally, I'd prefer just not to comment.

Would a noncommittal comment like 'Thanks, I downloaded it and listened to it' be better than saying nothing?
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2006, 16:25

Quote (Jammer @ Aug. 16 2006, 14:04)
Yup. Be Kind To The Musicians Day sounds good :)

Let's do that every 29th of februari  :cool:

nah, kidding, it's good idea  ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2006, 17:13

I would say there's so much music here on TubularBoard that sometimes it's possible to inadvertently overlook much of it.  Also h some of the music takes a number of repeated plays, for it to grow on me. I come back to comment  a week or two later and find that I've forgotten where the thread was located    :/ .

Alan D   Posted on Aug. 16 2006, 21:04

I also don't like to leave negative comments unless they're constructive. And since every musician who posts in this forum is a finer musician than I could ever be, it would be impertinent of me to suggest that I know better than they do about their music.
Usually it's just a question of personal taste.

I agree,  I don't like to leave a negative comment, unless I can be constructive. I try and play the guitar, TRY being the operative word     :O , so I feel that it wouldn't be right .  However if I particularly like a piece of music I'll leave a positive comment and let  my friends know, so that they can check it out.  :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2006, 20:22

I also feel somehow some kind of pressure that if I comment on a track then I should comment on all of them. And as I usually listen to music while I'm doing something else nowadays, it's even hard to concentrate fully on music, even though I listen to all the tracks posted here, except for those that I forget to. And also the language question, as was also mentioned before, I find it demanding to express my thoughts about a music as I want to in English. But I admit, these are all my faults. I feel I should plan a day when I do nothing else but commenting fan tracks here. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2006, 06:56

On several occasions I gave positive feedback, on few I gave negative feedback.
Some of you may think I've been cruel too, but I think an honoust given reaction is at least food for thought.
When I agree with someone else I sometimes add my own opinion, sometimes I don't.
To me there are no rules how to handle.

I feel that if a musician dares to post his music here he or she deserves at least to be listened to.
And when you've listened it's polite to give a reaction.
Appreciated or not.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2006, 09:29

I'd get a bit disheartened if a track I posted didn't receive feedback. Thankfully though, I do have a few friends from this board who would listen if I let them know about it.

Same here. Although nowadays I don't really have time to compose or cover, besides the game soundtrack I'm working on and that material is top secret for now!

I find nowadays I don't really have time to hear all the posted tracks and comment on them. This is also due to the fact that I don't really like the majority of electronic music posted here enough to be able to offer helpful comments on it. While I don't exactly hate it, I'd always have the feeling that listening to the track would be keeping me from something else I should be doing.

I feel the same way, too. I rarely come back here anymore because this forum really has changed since the first time I joined. Feels like the fans have gone the way of MO himself and are doing repetative electronic stuff instead of complex and interesting acoustic/electric/whatever pieces. Not to knock those of you who write electronic music here, but it's just not my scene, and now since everybody seems to be doing it, I don't really feel like I fit in anymore. The fan tracks section has turned from being a place where musicians can share their exploration of musical landscapes and technique into a place where any old guy comes in and says "listen to my track!". Not to sound mean or anything, it's just my opinion. It's just not as interesting as it used to be. The reason I don't comment is because I don't listen anymore.

I also agree with Oblique's comments.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Morti Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2006, 20:22

You don't need to listen much though, as a musician I love people to give detailed rundowns of what they like / dislike about something I've made, but far better than nothing is a simple thumbs up or thumbs down sort of a post just so you can tell if your music is well received or not.

So if someone posts saying "I like this" or "I don't like this", it's not as detailed a rundown as I'd like but it's so much better than nothing and much appreciated. So don't feel the need to post detailed comments for feedback if you don't have the time or inclination, anything helps.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
15 replies since Aug. 14 2006, 12:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net