[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Mike Oldfield "Geek culture"?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 17:21

Quote (onion @ Aug. 21 2007, 13:31)
If you want to define geekness or nerdness, just take a look at those people who got a job, where the sole purpose is to sit down for 8 hours and watch paint dry..    :cool:

Painters, I think they're called...

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 17:57

What, even Picasso?
anyway, should the word Culture follow the word geek,culture in a positive sense is almost a phrase in itself related to thing's of  perhap's a more splendid context..I don't think we will ever see a documentary that might ask in it's title" what did the geek's ever do for us".

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 18:50

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Aug. 21 2007, 17:57)
I don't think we will ever see a documentary that might ask in it's title" what did the geek's ever do for us".

Never heard of Triumph of the Nerds, have you?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 19:08

Geek culture

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
timrowledge Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2007, 20:50

Good Grief - of cours M.O. is a geek; he collects motorcycles, fliers real and model airplanes, plays with complicated software and writes computer games.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2007, 22:54

Quote (timrowledge @ Sep. 21 2007, 22:50)
Good Grief - of cours M.O. is a geek; he collects motorcycles, fliers real and model airplanes, plays with complicated software and writes computer games.

...a trekkie and sci-fan fan...a typical geek,Mike Oldfieldish way.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2007, 02:13

I'm a trekkie and sci-fi fan  :D

Does that mean i get to join the club? Where's the cue?  :O

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 18:19

Quote (arron11196 @ Sep. 22 2007, 07:13)
I'm a trekkie and sci-fi fan  :D

Does that mean i get to join the club? Where's the cue?  :O

Me too! I'm a self-professed geek!

I'm a Trekkie, a Browncoat (obsessive about Firefly), love Lost, love Heroes, love Tolkien (one of the reasons for my User Name)

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:13

Why is it that we all consider clever deep people, as geeks? Or anyone that happens to have a different view of things?
If we were all to listen to angry music all the time, drink,fight, swear and have promiscuous relationships would we be considered cool and socially acceptable?
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:31

I actually take "geek" as a complement. It just means that I'm obsessively enthusiastic about things. There's no wrong in being that way. Being different from the masses who continually go out just to sell their souls for no good reason is a good thing in my eyes.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 11:48

I don't want to shock everyone, but I could picture Eminem doing a version of 'Shadow On The Wall.' And if done carefully, it would work. I don't know about Moby though?
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2007, 11:52

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Sep. 27 2007, 12:31)
I actually take "geek" as a complement. It just means that I'm obsessively enthusiastic about things. There's no wrong in being that way. Being different from the masses who continually go out just to sell their souls for no good reason is a good thing in my eyes.

Yes too true. I agree with you entirely.
Natural non-aggressive rebellion. Natural non-conformist.  Very healthy to follow your own path.
Profile PM 
91 replies since Sep. 23 2000, 17:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net