[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Mike Oldfield "Geek culture"?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 17:09

Hello everybody,
last week I read an article in the German magazine DER SPIEGEL (= the mirror). It was about "geeks" or "nerds", another name for "computer people". They say that there is something like a "geek culture" which includes casual clothing, shyness, beards, staying single, fantasy literature, roleplaying games, and so on...
Maybe this is all rubbish, but what do you think: Is Mike Oldfield "geek culture"?
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 19:37

He used to seem like some slightly odd spinoff from hippy culture...then slowly things began to twist...
Now maybe he'd prefer to relate to dance culture somehow...again he seems like a bit of an odd spinoff from it...
As always, I think Mike is hard to classify wink
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2001, 06:07

hum, very late reply, but I found this...

in fact this is not really a reply, but informations...

"Geeks are generally social outcasts from mainstream america. The ranks of geekdom are swelled with gamers, ravers, science fictions fans, punks, perverts, programmers, nerds, subgenii, and trekkies. These are people who did not go to their high school proms, and many would be offended by the suggestion that they should have even wanted to. Geeks prefer to socialize with other geeks, the self proclaimed weird. Therefore they go online to organize parties, food runs, drink runs, and movie nights, and be assured that their companions would rather talk about superheros as modern mythology than the latest football scores. "

from samsara.circus.com/~omni/geek.html

and that...

"Again, to be a hacker, you have to enter the hacker mindset. There are some things you can do when you're not at a computer that seem to help. They're not substitutes for hacking (nothing is) but many hackers do them, and feel that they connect in some basic way with the essence of hacking.

- Learn to write your native language well.(...)
- Read science fiction.(...)
- Study Zen, and/or take up martial arts.(...)
- Develop an analytical ear for music. Learn to appreciate peculiar kinds of music. Learn to play some musical instrument well, or how to sing.
- Develop your appreciation of puns and wordplay

The more of these things you already do, the more likely it is that you are natural hacker material. Why these things in particular is not completely clear, but they're connected with a mix of left- and right-brain skills that seems to be important (hackers need to be able to both reason logically and step outside the apparent logic of a problem at a moment's notice)."

Well, a lot of people in here would make perfect hackers no ? wink

BUT !

"Finally, a few things not to do.
- Don't use a silly, grandiose user ID or screen name.
- Don't get in flame wars on Usenet (or anywhere else).
- Don't call yourself a `cyberpunk', and don't waste your time on anybody who does.
- Don't post or email writing that's full of spelling errors and bad grammar.

That certainly excludes a lot of us wink

Cheers
GMOVJ ( wink Yes, this is a silly UserID wink)

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
cp Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2001, 08:05

"Silly or grandiose user names" - almost everyone here (except perhaps for Tim Highfield and other people who have taken the boring route and used their real name) could be disqualified on this point.

As for flame wars, I think that engaging in flame wars would be a point in favour of being a hacker/geek/nerd, not vice versa.

Finally, I'll have to own up to poor spelling and grammar in general (although it could be much worse than it is).

To the main point of the original post: in some ways, Mike Oldfield has been at the front of technological developments in the field of music (i.e. recording techniques in Tubular Bells, unusual instruments, using synthesators (?)). From another perspective, you could classify Mike as "unpopular music", and therefore related to geek/nerd/etc culture.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2001, 08:52

cp (very grandiose, Cameron) said: "Silly or grandiose user names" - almost everyone here (except perhaps for Tim Highfield and other people who have taken the boring route and used their real name) could be disqualified on this point.

Most of the good Mike-related ones had been taken by 15/10/00.

cp also said: As for flame wars, I think that engaging in flame wars would be a point in favour of being a hacker/geek/nerd, not vice versa.

Because these people are the only ones likely to take part in flame wars wink

Signed,

Tim Highfield, also known in slightly more grandiose terms as Tim, or even, when signing off, as -Tim-

Ha!

Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2001, 11:04

Woah, I didn't know i was this much of a geek. I actually read quite a lot of sci-fi, I program, and, IMHO, use my native language very well. I play piano and guitar/bass and drums as well, and I absolutely don't listen to mainsteam pop music.

None of my friends are like this though, at least not those that know "in real life". On the Internet it's different though, and that's why I posted.

I tend to be on IRC quite a lot, and most people I regulary talk to there are either coders or musicians (or both). At least five or six of those I consider my IRC friends are fans of mike oldfield's music. also jarre, vangelis and pink floyd seem to be quite popular. In "real life", I only know one person who knows about mike oldfield and owns a couple of records.
Profile PM WEB 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 09:26

Well, I wouldn't consider my screen-name grandiose, since it is just the first two letters of my name in Greek (chi rho - XP ~ CHR or CR), and I am who I am, no one else. I write BASIC well, Java badly, and C++ incredibly badly. The worst screen-names I have ever seen include "To me, boxing is like a ballet, except with no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other" and "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler"

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2001, 18:05

Hi, Bennyboy here....
(also known by the slightly less grandiose title of Benjamin Orchard)

I think a lot of you are right on the money with your comments....

It's funny you are talking about Mike as geek culture, cause I think he often displays some of the geekiness himself... (beards, unkempt appearance, fondness for Star Trek and science fiction literature, close familarity with computer systems and loads more websites devoted to him than more famous and revered musos like Bob Dylan and Celine Dion)...

Which is why I probably think whenever he does something to look "cool" he ends up looking rather self-concious and a bit silly sometimes...

Think of the "I've just dicovered I'm a celtic warrior" bronzed and shirtless look on the cover of "Voyager", those nude photographs he did back in the seventies to promote "Incantations", the video clip for "Shadow On The Wall" which has him strutting around in torn jeans and a leather jacket trying to look mean and menacing....

Does anybody else think this?
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 08:26

hehahhee i completely agree. and what could possibly look geekier than mike on the incantations cover.
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 14:24

Hi y'all,
glad you revived my old topic. At first, when no one replied, I felt I was completely wrong. But things are different now!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2001, 14:29

Looking at some of the definitions, I'm wondering if there's much difference between a 'geek' and a 'musician' these days...But has Mike, by embracing software development, taken a step closer towards total geekness?

Some of my favourite moments where Mike ends up looking slightly less cool than he might have hoped:

The shine video - There's a bit with Mike standing by the sea, wearing a tight sleevless T Shirt, with waves crashing over him and a scowly expression on his face...Just what exactly IS he doing there?

Promo picture for Discovery(?) - There's one of these of Mike stood by a punchball...Something about this looks ridiculous to me. Oddly enough, he's wearing a tight sleeveless T Shirt in it...

...he does like those sleeveless T Shirt thingies, doesn't he? He even wears one in that early BBC Tubular Bells performance (as found on the Elements video). He tends not to look too wonderful when wearing them as well...
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2001, 17:42

It's getting quiet here... but however...
Korgscrew, the 'punchball' picture is also on the inner sleeve of Discovery vinyl... and yes, it looks strange: Like Mike wants to look like a teenager or something...

I also found this quote at mikeoldfield.de:

"I was also fed up with this image of the fans that I was supposed to have being as being these kind of spectacled anorak student types, you know, completely... nerdy. And people used to ridicule my music because of my fans, so I said I'll get some pretty girls involved and make it for them. It's a much nicer fan base you know."

NERDY!!! There: he said it himself!
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2001, 03:34

It is getting rather quiet...sometimes I feel like I'm just talking to myself...

Nerdy? Well, he said it...and who am I to question Mike's own judgement?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2001, 13:15

Mike's fans...nerdy...us? Um...what makes people think that? (ahem...) wink
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2002, 04:30

i can call me nerdy but i dont know about anyone else, mabye raven4x4x.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 14:41

I would prefer to be known as an 'anorak' rather than a 'nerd'. It depends how one interprets the meanings of course... tongue

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
bibimimi Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 14:02

Isn't an 'anorak' a nylon pullover?
You don't mean 'amarok' do you? That would be cause for a giggle.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 19:54

LOL - You're partially correct. they tend to be fastened by a zipper...steady....LOL

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 19:56

...actually, an Amarok would be much warmer methinks...

--------------
Profile PM 
bibimimi Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 27 2002, 12:25

...so if "Ommadawn" means 'idiot', is there a Gaelic translation for "Amarok", that maybe means the equivalent of 'geek'? Would a geek survive an ancient culture, even? Somebody had to be the equipment boy for the army. Geek has an interesting onomatopoeia, for me anyway, approximating sickly. This could be because the word is often preceeded by the hyphenated 'pencil-necked', especially in rural regions of North America. There, I have now exposed my redneck roots and am properly chagrined.
Profile PM 
91 replies since Sep. 23 2000, 17:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net