Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Mike Oldfield "Geek culture"?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 20:56

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 20 2004, 18:32)
would love to see Mike and Moby do a collaboration

Yeah, that would be nice. I prefer his most recent albums, Play and 18, which don't have all that much techno on them (unless it's some sub-genre of techno which I haven't heard of), and I think he and Mike could really make something special together. But I can't see Mike doing a collaberation any time soon.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2004, 03:59

Well I think Moby is very creative and eclectic, just like Mike and experiments with all styles. I have seen him in concert 3 times and he has mentioned having a troubled childhood which also reminds me of Mike, it seems that all greatness comes from suffering. I think Moby and Mike could create wonderful music together apart from Mikes reluctance to give up full control. And I think Mikes excerpt from TBIII which is on the Essential MO and was taken from his original plan which was one whole side of dance music but he obviously later decided against this and even thought this small section was too much for the album, IS HIS BEST WORK IMHO.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2005, 18:45

Just to bring this topic back to the fore again, Raven tells me that Moby is releasing a new album very soon. I can guarantee you that when I get my hands on my new Moby and Mike albums I'll be playing them together on the stereo at random. This has been my very favourite thing to do ever since I discovered the random button. In fact I rarely listen to any cds in full these days, esp Mike as I have played them so many times I like to mix them up. If I don't have 5 MO cds in the player set to random, then I have 5 different artists, my favourite at this moment would be Mike, Moby, Cold Play, the Dissociatives and a recent discovery like Epicure or Franz Ferdinand or the Scissors Sisters. Back in a sec, track 10 of Tres Lunas II is playing so I have to go dance! F--k I love that! Reminds me of Moby!

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 02:09

Interesting discussion regarding the supposed geek-factor in MO's music. Personally, I disagree with the 'geek-culture' designation. I tend to think the number of geeks listening to MO music is more an indication of the appeal it has for persons of high intelligence rather than of any inherent 'uncoolness'. After all, though geeks are (generally speaking) socially inept, they are also (generally speaking) highly intelligent.

PS: I don't think of myself as a 'geek'. I prefer the term 'nerd'. :cool: I acknowledge, however, that in many cases these labels may be used interchangeably.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 10:59

Isn't geekishness just one of those negative qualities attributed to person A by person B, when person B is suffering a failure of imagination, or of empathy, or of charity (or some combination of all three)?

For instance, someone who spent years of his life measuring the electric charges carried by tiny oil drops might be accused of geekery - it doesn't seem like the most inspiring of hobbies. But that's how the existence of the electron was discovered by R.A. Millikan - a profound and imaginative breakthrough of the highest order. (I don't know anything about his social skills, nor whether he wore an anorak.)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 13:28

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 13 2007, 10:59)
Isn't geekishness just one of those negative qualities attributed to person A by person B, when person B is suffering a failure of imagination, or of empathy, or of charity (or some combination of all three)?

I agree that is often the case. I would add that geekishness is also attributed when person A is seen as 'unfashionable' in either appearance or interests. But perhaps that's covered under "failure of imagination" on B's part?

For instance, someone who spent years of his life measuring the electric charges carried by tiny oil drops might be accused of geekery - it doesn't seem like the most inspiring of hobbies. But that's how the existence of the electron was discovered by R.A. Millikan - a profound and imaginative breakthrough of the highest order. (I don't know anything about his social skills, nor whether he wore an anorak.)

'One man's treasure is another man's trash'. I have an interest in architecture and creating floorplans. I can spend many fascinated hours studying or drafting a layout with my T-square and Clutch-pencil. And I am sure that many who have no interest in such a pasttime would call that 'geekish'.

I don't own an anorak (which I understand is like a raincoat?), but that's due to negligence rather than concern over fashion. It's a very sensible item of clothing, after all. In recent years, I've noticed that around here it seems to be unfashionalbe to wear any sort of jacket or coat - even in winter! But while some of these people may see the guys trudging through slush in boots and parkas as 'geeks', it's the guys trudging through slush in flip-flops and t-shirts that I see as 'idiots'.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 16:15

Hasn't the whole "geek" thing become more than a little bit self-congratulatory?

I don´t recognize the story about how the kids with "special interests" became the winners in the end. Many of the geeky kids I knew ran into trouble as adults. They could remember every line from the movies they saw and they could recite all the lyrics from every album they owned (which is why jARRE is so popular? haha...), but they couldn't have a conversation with a stranger. They had problems fitting in at school, getting a partner and to pass a job interview. You need backing from a family and have connections. Otherwise, mental illness could be just around the corner.

I myself was never much of a nerd. I have a very short attention span and my knowledge is "a little about everything". Common sense is one of my strengths actually. I've studied behavioral science, and in that field there is no such thing as nerds or little geniuses. Perhaps becaues there's nothing fantastic about it, and it always involves people. I associate the term "nerd" or "geek" with prefering items over people, but perhaps that's wrong.

Anyways, Mike Oldfield part of "geek culture". Perhaps. It seems there's a number of tapes/CDs that are passed on from big brother geek to his younger siblings; Oldfield, Jarre, Vangelis etc. And I guess that's down to the "anti-rock" status of these artists. There's an asexual quality to the music that seems to suggests some sort of "übermench" outsidership for the fan; an exclusiveness that comes across as being the "thinking man's choice".

To call yourself a "music nerd" (which I would actually take as a compliment) one should be crazy about music and learn and listen to ass much as possible to it. But to me there seems to be a side of the "geek culture" that wants to have a few select heroes/gods that gets the labeled "geniuses". And as much as I love Mike Oldfield, I strongly belive that he was just one of many talented young musicians/composers in england in the early 70s, and what made him different was Branson's offer to let him release just the kind of album he wanted.

Am I being unfocused? It's bedtime...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 17:23

(to begin on an off-topic note:
one should be crazy about music and learn and listen to ass much as possible to it.

Hiawatha will have a field day when he sees this. :) )

The above post raised an interesting issue: defining "nerddom" is important; otherwise we'd be all talking about different things. The way I seem to see it, the "nerd" label is quite self-congratulatory because, these days, being a nerd is yet another rather futile yet fulfilling way of putting the society rules, standards and expectations on checkmate. I don't think the "nerds" of these days are really those socially inept individual we used to see in movies and such. I guess it means to care about certain things (crafts, arts, technology or whatever) a little more than you "supposedly" should, and being happy about it. And since that dedication has been a reward to many people, I can see why people feel happy with it and learned to take it as a gift, and not a curse.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 17:54

defining "nerddom" is important

Good thinking, Sir M.

Merriam-Webster definitions:

nerd
an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits

geek
1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked
3 : an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity

OK folks. C'mon, own up. How many of us have gone down that live-chicken-head-biting route? Eh?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 13 2007, 18:00

Thanks, Alan. I think the thing I was referring to seems to be a considerably less harsh version of "nerd" mixed with item 3 of "geek", on the above definitions; perhaps a peek on Wikipedia can clarify matters a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd .

Or maybe we're going too nerdy into this definition thing? Oh, well... This is what college does to you!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2007, 00:24

I love you guys, you are COOL!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2007, 04:27

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 14 2007, 05:24)
I love you guys, you are COOL!!!

Yeah!! Pass me another chicken, Sir M!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2007, 04:37

*OlracUk wanders in*

Hmm.. I always thought the definition of "nerd" was more than 3 pens in your pocket at the same time.

*OlracUK wanders out shaking head sadly at AlanD's chicken fixations*

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2007, 17:32

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 14 2007, 04:37)
Hmm.. I always thought the definition of "nerd" was more than 3 pens in your pocket at the same time.

I have no pens in my pockets and only one in my purse. Mayhap I'm not as nerdy as I thought? Am I merely a nerd wannabe or just a 'normal' with nerdish tendencies? Goodness. I'm going to have to re-examine my whole lifestyle.

geek
1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

:laugh: See, this is exactly why I try to avoid using the term.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2007, 17:35

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 13 2007, 21:54)
defining "nerddom" is important

Good thinking, Sir M.

Merriam-Webster definitions:

nerd
an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits

geek
2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked
3 : an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity

OK folks. C'mon, own up. How many of us have gone down that live-chicken-head-biting route? Eh?

OH right maybe I'm getting nerds and geeks mixed up, but I always thought they were interchangable  :/ .

Anyway I ended up registeristing with some online dating agencies  about a year or so ago, and I've had my fair share of geeks :p send me messages on there. I would go along with the Oxford English Dictionary definitions of "Geek"

1) "A person who is socially uncomfortable or unfashionable"
2) "An obsessive enthusiast"

I guess I was barking up the wrong tree when I was looking for love, as little did I realise my boyfriend was right under my nose, took me a little time to sniff that one out, and he is most definitely NOT nerdy or geeky in any way.  I think fashion is an individual thing rather than just following the latest trends, for as long as I can remember I've dressed rather hippyish, and a few years ago the hippy look was very fashionable.

larstangmark   Posted on Aug. 13 2007, 20:15Hasn't
Anyways, Mike Oldfield part of "geek culture". Perhaps. It seems there's a number of tapes/CDs that are passed on from big brother geek to his younger siblings; Oldfield, Jarre, Vangelis etc. And I guess that's down to the "anti-rock" status of these artists. There's an asexual quality to the music that seems to suggests some sort of "übermench" outsidership for the fan; an exclusiveness that comes across as being the "thinking man's choice".

To call yourself a "music nerd" (which I would actually take as a compliment) one should be crazy about music and learn and listen to ass much as possible to it. But to me there seems to be a side of the "geek culture" that wants to have a few select heroes/gods that gets the labeled "geniuses". And as much as I love Mike Oldfield, I strongly belive that he was just one of many talented young musicians/composers in england in the early 70s, and what made him different was Branson's offer to let him release just the kind of album he wanted.

Am I being unfocused? It's bedtime

NO I don't think you're being unfocused Lars.  I remember at school I would get wound up something chronic for admitting my love of Queen's music, but now some 23 years later a Queen messageboard I frequent has many teenage fans on there.

Is Mike's music geeky, no I don't think so yep Mike's music had a passion and an energy to it, his albums in the early 70's  went against convention, I guess with MIke maybe he found the stardom too much to handle and so he retreated to Hergest Ridge (the place), which maybe meant he became labelled as "Geeky" as in "socially uncomfortable", but I don't think Mike really fits into "Geek Culture", I know of people of differing levels of education have some of Mike's music in their collection.
Oh yes Mike's music is great for engaging in certain extra curricular activities  ;) with, between myself and my boyfriend, so no way is his music geeky.

OH yes I'm not a geek nor is my boyfriend, unless maybe we fit the OED second definition of geeky for knowing so much about music, which if that's what being geeky is I'm proud of my geekyness.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 10:42

I have certainly wandered in here very late!

This has been an interesting read. I must say though, I never really thought of Mike as a "geek".

I do think of my own self image as just really individual. Geeks to me hang out with geeks... I don't really hang out. Back in school at lunch i would have sat with anyone really. I think my group of people were mixes of everyone. since leaving school I am very much just classed as eccentric by my old schoolfriends. I dont really know much examples...

Oh i suppose one would be that, i was once put on the guest list for a really popular night club here in belfast. where the dj remixed my music. I didnt turn up and insted went to a pub where they had a polish trip-hop artist.

I guess what im trying to say, is geek culture is more or less dissolving with my generation. to be honest, maybe its just because of living in Ireland, but ive never heard somone call someone else a geek.

I've always seen mike as an eccentric, like the way I and my closest freinds are described.

I dont like star trek, though I like star wars, and very much have seen them inside out. I hate Lord of the rings, the films completely bored me to death, and I dont really read, so the book is just something i would never try, (being as how the font is also tiny and it is about the width of my arm doesnt help either.)

I am a big fan of the film "Clerks" it in essence reflects my group of freinds in their humour.

I will often listen to the chart shows to see whats happening in the world, though dont necessarily enjoy any of the music, though i give most things a chance. I dont like Nightclubs, and prefer pubs. I make my own decisions and my own mistakes, sometimes terrible ones. I live and breath music and sound, and love everything about it. I appreciate art, and hang out at galleries and museums quite often. But i still have close freinds who are completely opposite. - They dont see me as a "geek" and i don't see them as shallow, its just thier thing, and what i do is my thing.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 12:35

Weren't the Geeks that ancient civilisation that gave us the Olympic Games?

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 12:56

Quote (bee @ Aug. 21 2007, 17:35)
Weren't the Geeks that ancient civilisation that gave us the Olympic Games?

No. They gave us the Olympic Grames
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 12:58

'r' yes, you're quite right!

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 13:31

There is nothing "geekness" about Mike Oldfields music...it´s just a matter of good taste   :p

If you want to define geekness or nerdness, just take a look at those people who got a job, where the sole purpose is to sit down for 8 hours and watch paint dry..    :cool:

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
91 replies since Sep. 23 2000, 17:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net