Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: IS IT TRUE? Toccata & fugue reversed is TB, Bach humbug can it be so?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
I3ELLSend Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 08 2013, 11:10

Can anyone prove or disprove if this is so? if it is true it certainly adds a new meaning to being well rehearsed sorry I meant to right reversed or is that still not righten the write way round?
(REMEMBER? "they are all the right notes! just not ness played in the right order! LOL;-)

So please can someone say if it is true & maybe play it for us by posting a sound file that can give a clear & conclusive answer to whether TB notes played backwards would be Toccata & fugue in D minor.

Or is Mike having us on when he states this in part 1 of the BBC HEAVEN & EARTH PROGRAME that deals with many areas of Mike's life & has Mike in the third min of this interview admitting to plagiarising Bach's work by playing some of its notes in reverse in TB. So please! can anyone play it backwards to see if this is so?

The Video can be seen here on You tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8IumHMDGBk

--------------
HOLA OLA (HELLO spanish ALL greek) IS IT A GOOD TIME TO CHANGE THE "ORDER"? & HOW DOES CRYING MAKE YOU FEEL? these are very deep questions, don't you think?
Profile PM 
Kington Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2013, 18:16

Interesting take on it, but the short answer is no.

The Fugue subject of the T&F in d min is said to be an inspiration rather than a direct copy. Mike states that he turned the idea "upside down". In Music composition this is called an inversion which is quite a different thing to playing something backwards (which is called retrograde).

What the opening of TB and the d min Fugue have in common (along with plenty of other examples from Baroque composers) is a figure that maintains motion by having a set of notes that move being alternated with a static note, (and this is turn was a popular technique with string writing because the static note would be played on an open string).

If you look at the notes of the Fugue subject, you'll see that every alternate note is always the A (you'll also notice that the A is always the topmost note of the figure):
A G A F A E A D A C# A D A E A F A A(octave down) A B A C# A D A etc

The famous opening figure of TB uses a similar technique but as Mike said, he turned that idea upside down (inverted) by having the static note as the lowermost note of the figure:
E A E B E G A E C E D E B C E A E B etc

The notable difference is of course that Mike's idea does not regularly alternate back to the E - it's not always every other note. That combined with the change of time signature every 4th bar, is one of the satisfying things that takes it further from Bach and makes it distinctively Mike :)

Inverting an idea is a different thing to literally inverting the actual notes (which coincidentally is something that Bach used to do a lot). When I'm next on the computer (on iPod at the moment), I'll put together some better examples with proper notation and post them.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2013, 08:27

I was gonna say that! :(

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Mar. 08 2013, 11:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net