Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: is it TMB a Tubular Bells IV, it has the bell written on it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 14:26

I don't think it is a tubular bells I think mike just put the bell on it for commercial reason what do yoy think about that :/

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 15:16

Although there is a little about it to make someone think that TMB = TB4, I would have to answer "no". I think a proper TB4, if ever done, will feature the "bent bell" tipped to look like a 4 only (not scattered all over the cover like on TB4).

Also, while it has a bell climax, it lacks the variation on the "Exorcist" theme that so far has been necessary for it to be "tubular". This type of theme is found in TB1, TB2, TB3, and even "Tubular World" in TSODE. However, it is not in TMB, not that I recall.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 15:21

but still the theme of Pacha mama if familair to the climax

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 15:48

Well, there is a tinkly piano riff (Pacha Mama, alright), and a bell at the end. But the philosophy of the album has nothing to do with the original idea of Tubular Bells (whatever that was), the mood is completely different, the arrangements, the music itself... Not Tubular Bells at all. Even Tubular Bells III has a bit of that.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 16:19

"Even" Tubular Bells III has a bit of that? You can't deny that TB3 is a TB, with "Outcast" having the lineage of Sunjammer and Piltdown Man, "Top of the Morning" being descended from Side 2 of TB1 through "Weightless", and other direct track inspirations. Not to mention it beginning with a tinkly Exorcisty theme and ending with a bell climax. The only thing that does not descend from TB1 and TB2 is "Man in the Rain".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2005, 05:33

I personally don't consider Millennium Bell to be a true 'Tubular Bells album', but it doesn't matter much to me either way.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 16 2005, 10:14

Quote (hiawatha @ Mar. 01 2005, 16:19)
"Even" Tubular Bells III has a bit of that? You can't deny that TB3 is a TB, with "Outcast" having the lineage of Sunjammer and Piltdown Man, "Top of the Morning" being descended from Side 2 of TB1 through "Weightless", and other direct track inspirations. Not to mention it beginning with a tinkly Exorcisty theme and ending with a bell climax. The only thing that does not descend from TB1 and TB2 is "Man in the Rain".

I admire the depth to which you have analysed TBIII. That is something I haven't done as yet. This is probably the wrong place to discuss this as it is off topic so I will re-post it under TBIII too, but would you be kind enough to note where each track from TBIII is descended from in terms of TBI/TBII please?

Cheers!  :cool:

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 04:56

Umm - have to say no - apart from the Bell on the cover.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Mar. 01 2005, 14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net