Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is it 2 bars - 7/8 & 8/8, or 1 bar of 15/8?, It doesn't matter but I still wanna know< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 892 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 20:18

Is the beginning of Tubular Bells (you all know the part I mean) a bar of 7/8 and a bar of 8/8, or is it 1 bar of 15/8? I always counted it as fifteen but I recently read that's it's seven and eight. I guess it makes sense to have it as two bars, but at the same time I've always felt it as one long phrase. Or does it really matter at all? What do you guys think?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 09:34

It's two bars.One 7/8 one 8/8.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 11:11

Thanks. I suppose that does make sense.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 14:29

No sir. It's 5/8, 24/8, 36/8 and returns to 4/4, 12/8, 128/16, 4/4, 5/8. 36/16........your not buying any of this are you.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 18:36

The time signature of the "Introduction" piece changes all the way through it. The main piano figure is 7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 9/8. But when the second piano enters, playing block chords, the whole thing goes into straight 3/4 and keeps like that for a while; when the second piano stops playing, the 7/8-7/8-7/8-9/8 structure resumes. Then, of course, when the 'double' guitar solo starts (at about 4:00), it goes into 4/4. And what I like to call the 'triumphant' theme, i.e. straight after the Taped Motor Drive Amplified Organ Chord, is 5/4. After that, past the "Introduction", when the main piano theme resumes after the noisy "Fast Guitars" bit and the "Basses" theme (i.e. in the section called "Latin" on TB 2003), it may sound like it's 7/8 + 7/8 + 7/8 + 9/8 again, but it's really 5/4. And when it comes to "Blues" it has somehow metamorphosed into 12/8. :) Of course I don't think about all this when I'm actually listening to the music, but the multiple time signatures give me a feeling of restlessness, of un-quietness - which I guess is what Mike was after. By comparison, "Sentinel", which starts in 4/4 and stays in 4/4 almost all of the way through, sounds much more "pop" to my ears. But I love it. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 13:35

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 09 2010, 18:36)
Of course I don't think about all this when I'm actually listening to the music, but the multiple time signatures give me a feeling of restlessness, of un-quietness - which I guess is what Mike was after.

Yeah, I don't know why but I'm obsessed with odd time signatures, and sometimes I do count along with stuff. But most of the time I just listen and enjoy.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 04:43

Odd time signatures rock!If you can dance to it then it get's kind of boring.If you try to dance to it and it turns into a massive game of Twister or you fall over then that's where the good stuff lies!
 Actually it's not all bad of it's in 'normal' time sigs but i like the way it catches you out.TB's the perfect example.How many people have you heard who think they know how to play that opening section and miss the second half?

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 04:47

Is the Exposed version the same i really love drumming that (headphones and roland kit)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 04:52

yeah that's what i'm talking about!Roland kit?That was good old Pierre on an Gretch acoustic kit!

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 04:58

Sorry should of been clearer I use MY roland kit can recreate pierres classic sound :p
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 05:49

Oh right.now i see.Lol :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 09:43

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 11 2010, 04:43)
Odd time signatures rock!If you can dance to it then it get's kind of boring.If you try to dance to it and it turns into a massive game of Twister or you fall over then that's where the good stuff lies!
 Actually it's not all bad of it's in 'normal' time sigs but i like the way it catches you out.TB's the perfect example.How many people have you heard who think they know how to play that opening section and miss the second half?

I couldn't agree more. I don't know anyone who miscounts the beginning, but I don't know anyone who's even heard it. :/

Damn I wish I lived in England, I'd join your band! :p But like I said in a different thread, I live in a hillbilly hellhole in the middle of the Appalachians, where the most common sound is a four-wheeler revving outside your house.

PS. No offense to any hillbillies/rednecks on the forums. I've just been living here too long.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 09:56

That's a good point.In the UK a lot of people have at least heard of it.I'd hate to live somewhere where no-one knows my favourite musician!No point of reference at all would be a real bitch!Sod it.......move to North Oxfordshire.It's the only way.And The Manor is only 15 moles from where i'm sat so you could go on a pilgrimige too. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
hergestridge Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2010, 10:19

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 09 2010, 18:36)
The time signature of the "Introduction" piece changes all the way through it. The main piano figure is 7/8, 7/8, 7/8, 8/8.

Actually, it's 3 bars of 7/8 followed by one bar of 9/8 (not 8/8), giving a total of 30 quavers, which equates to 5 bars of 3/4.

Sorry to be so pedantic ...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2010, 10:47

@ hergestridge: 7/8 + 7/8 + 7/8 + 9/8 is what I actually meant to write in my post above, but I edited it several times and I just forgot to change the 8/8 figure into a 9/8 one. So thanks for pointing it out - I'm going to edit it right now. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2010, 11:08

I stand corrected! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2010, 13:53

I don't think the opening sequence as anything really "odd" (although it is in so called odd time) because it's repeated without variation. It's easy to play, you just need learn those thirty notes of equal duration. But as hergestridge said it equates to 5 bars of 3/4, so when the 3/4 part starts to play at the same time it gets much trickier. Both parts are quite simple but together they form a more complex polyrhythmic thing that is not only in 3/4 but can actually be heard in several ways at the same time.

@Ugo: In Sentinel the time signature changes for the first time at about one minute into the track. Perhaps you meant The Source of Secrets, which is all in 4/4. ;) Yep, that's pedantic, sry, but it's fun.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2010, 20:09

@ Harmono: no, I meant "Sentinel". :D The bits where it goes into 3/4 are relatively few in the whole piece (it's actually a 7/4 bar - 4/4 + 3/4) and (at least to me) they don't disrupt the "flow" (for lack of a better word) of the piece, while the "flow" of the TB theme is continuously made unquiet and restless (again, just to my ears) by all the polyrhytmic figures that you mention, which are layered on top of it and which are totally absent from "Sentinel". That's why I was saying that "Sentinel" has a marked "pop" element, which places it in total contrast with the passionate unquietness of the TB theme. But I do love them both. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
wendybunny Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2010, 10:15

Now I know why my school music teacher got us to play Sentinel instead of the original introduction.

Out of interest has anyone worked out the timing for the 2003 version of the introduction? Does it vary from the original at all?
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2010, 17:14

Quote (wendybunny @ Oct. 11 2010, 16:15)
Out of interest has anyone worked out the timing for the 2003 version of the introduction? Does it vary from the original at all?

No. It's a note-for-note copy of the original.

--------------
Profile PM 
24 replies since Mar. 08 2010, 20:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net