Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Carl Jenkins just for show?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 05:08

It really strikes me as odd when I hear Mike Oldfield in interviews, that he needed someone like Jenkins to compose/summarize the MOTS album because he himself didn´t have the skills?

I mean - I´m not a musician - but in my opinion he HAS made similar recordings, with great success.
Mont St. Michel and parts of Millennium Bell are clearly classical to me, and there was big orchestration in the Millennium concert..
Mike Oldfields young conductor/musician Robin Smith has made some impressive conducting in Tubular Bells II and the Mil. concert. so maybe Carl Jenkins is just used to get in touch with people who normally don´t listen to MO and the same with Haylen Westenra..there are there for show...to "lure" Mike Oldfield back in peoples conscience..
Maybe MO didn´t have the energy, with the baby under way and the move to Spain and then just used Jenkins?
I´m really puzzled to hear MO say he doesn´t have the skills to make such a orchestration..

What do you think?
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 09:56

I'm not sure what you're saying here... do you mean that Mike doesn't need an orchestrator at all in order to make orchestral music? In that case I'd have to disagree. Orchestration is a skill that needs to be thoroughly learned, and Mike can't do it professionally on his own, I'm pretty sure. Whenever he's worked with an orchestra, or even just sections of an orchestra, he's always had an orchestrator, whether David Bedford, Robin Smith or someone else.

If you're saying it's show-off to have a well-known orchestrator on the project... well, I don't know. What's so bad about that? I think Mike probably chose him because he liked his work and he was available because of his label's connections, that's all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 09 2008, 10:33

I actually just read Martin Glatz's interview with Karl Jenkins in one of the copies of Hiawatha II I was given in Bilbao. He talks quite a lot about some of the reasons behind him being there.

He was suggested to Mike by Universal's A&R manager. They met up and got along with each other, so they chose to work together.

Mike did semi-orchestrate the album on his computer, but like Holger said, doing a good orchestration is something that takes a huge amount of knowledge. Karl said that there were a lot of things in Mike's sketches which wouldn't have worked when given to an orchestra to play, partly because there were a lot of instruments which Mike just had no experience with (and, as Karl stresses, it's not something he should be expected to know - he's not come from a classical background). As well as knowing the ranges of the instruments, it also needs a knowledge of what their limitations are, so that the parts end up playable.
I think if Mike felt he could have done it on his own, he would have done - I'm sure he'd love being able to say "I orchestrated the whole thing myself, having never done anything like this before," but I assume he felt it wouldn't have worked out had he done that.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 17:41

Mont St. Michel was arranged by Robin Smith. Mike did arrangements on "The Millennium Bell" album, but those were just for a string section.

Anyhow...if anyone's wondering just how difficult can it be to arrange to a symphony orchestra, this should give some idea:

Principles of Orchestration

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 09 2008, 05:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net