Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Is Amarok a demonic album, MO fan< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
greenback Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 11 2003, 00:22

I've had the same experience when I was playing it in my car: there were 2 women and one man and they all said that it was stupid music, some kind of noise....music for serial killers...I looked at them and said: "why you say it is stupid? I never said your hip hop is stupid!!"

I think that you must have a higher intelligence, a higher skill to appreciate this kind of music. Amarok is a long, very well structured composition that one needs to listen many times before liking it, if obviously this person has the capability to understand the music. Demonic? I don't think so...the listening makes me rather HAPPY.

Recall that this record is not for the cloth-eared nincompoop!!!
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 12 2003, 06:28

Music for serial killers?

That reminds me of Hannibal Lecter (lector?) from the movie "Silence of the Lambs". He likes to listen to the Goldberg-variations of Bach. As IMO the complexity of Bach's music and the complexity of Oldfield's Amarok is comparable, maybe there is some truth in the statement?

Those who are Amarok-fan ánd serial killer please put up your hand!  :D

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha
Unregistered

Posted: April 13 2003, 13:45

Demoniac? Why, this album is divine! :) I don't know, I'm not superstitious myself, but I never had any bad influence from Amarok, nor have I noticed anything evil on it. On the contrary, this album is always extremelly uplifting, invigorating and sometimes, even funny.

About finding it stupid, "music for serial-killers", etc, well, lots and lots of people say that about any kind of progressive rock. They are just people that aren't familiar with long and complex music, and aren't comfortable with it. The problem is, many times, they don't make any effort to get into it. They just stick to simpler music 'cause it requires less brain. Dunno if it's a question of intelligence, taste, or merely brain damage. ;) But for me, this music is fantastic, and Amarok is easily one of my favourite albums ever. Weird, I loved this one since the first listen. Of course, you gotta listen to it many times to get all the details and all the melodies. But I find myself mumbling "sondela, sondela" more often that I imagined. :D
Margit Anna
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 26 2003, 15:27

I never had bad feelings when I listened to Amarok. To be honest I had a good laugh when I listened to it the first and second time, because there are some funny parts in it. Mike showed his multifariousness with this album, it's one of my favourites. There is nothing demonic at all, its' just expressive music.
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 29 2003, 08:07

I guess that when something bad happens to you, and you subcounsciously relate it to *anything*, well, that thing just begins to have bad influence to you not for the thing itself, but for your own mind. I guess that's some psychological thing I've heard somewhere, but I think that's how it works. It isn't Amarok's fault, but just another complexity if our human nature. :)

And yes, I'm a dork. :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Phil Devonport
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 10 2003, 22:12

This is undoubtedly Mikes Greatest work & certainly not experimental at all!!

Think back to the first time you realy heard a piece of Mikes work & how impossible it would have been to describe to someone who didn't have a clue what it was -  With AMAROK Mike knew exactly what he was creating.

For those of you who have not read William Murrays fairy tale of two freinds who come across a 'Golden statue' (This can be found in the centre fold of the AMAROK cover).

I will try to type it for you, allthough I have had a few beers and am listening to AMAROK - Here we go...

A long time ago, in a place which may have been Ireland (but could just as easily have been Africa or Madagascar) there occured a very unusual series of events.

Two men - good freinds - heard of a great golden statue found standing in a great hole in the Earth, quite close to their village.  Now theese were a simple people and rumour spread like contagion.  Some said it was not a statue, but not a man either.  One thing was certain: it never moved. But it was also said that it produced a noise, a sound, or several sounds from time to time.  Now and then people had said, it made all of its noises at the same time.  The men made a plan to visit it.
They left early one morning.
They progressed slowly.
"Do you feel exhausted, as I do?" said the first man.
"I've felt better," said the other, "but we must achieve our aim.
After many hours the first man stopped in his tracks, staring into the distance.
"I see it," he said quietly.
"What do you see?"
"A gleaming of beautiful gold, a great haze of light..."
Despite their tiredness, they began to walk faster.  But however briskly they walked, the distance beetween them and what the tales refer to as "the gleaming golden light" remained the same.  After a while they stopped.  They were very frustrated.
The quiter of the two men said, "We'll never get there."
"If we walk back, we will get there, "said his friend.
The other surveyed him.
"Why do you think so?"
Without replying the first man rose, turned around and began walking back the way they had come.
To the amazement of the other, after a while the light became visible to him too and as they walked it drew closer.  Soon the countryside around them began to look as if there had been a great fire.  Blackened trees lay cracked on the ground and the Earth was scorched and barren.  They felt uneasy.  But they carried on.
Sure enough, they came to a massive charred hole.  It was as if a great rock had been hurled from the Heavens.
"What a mess," said the first man, "Let's go and look."
"You go", said his more cautious companion, "tell me what you see."
His friend crawled to the edge of the great hole.  Hanging onto a blasted but well rooted tree, he peered over.
In the great pit gouged from the Earth was the talest figure he had ever seen.  It was of a beautiful golden finish, entirely smooth.  It was not a statue, but it was not a man.  He had never seen anything like it, and he couldn't look away.
"We have come so far," he said to himself."  I hear it has voices to speak of things we cannot speak of."  He looked around, and there was his freind next to him and he was staring into the crater.
He said, "I am told that when a men hear it's voice, it stays in their ears, they cannot be rid of it.  It has many different voices: some happy, but others sad.  It roars like a baboon, murmours like a child, drums like the blazing arms of one thousand drummers, rustles like water in a glass, sings like a lover and laments like a preist."
"I have heard it says only one word," said the other.
His friend looked at him, "I was told it depends on how you listen."
"What can you mean?"
"Imagine a creature with a melody for a voice.  You either hear it or you don't."
"I do not understand," said his friend.
"He describes himself but he cannot see it; when he sees it, he cannot describe it.  But there is allways the sound, he will always make the sound."
They fell quiet.  A long time passed.  The second man turned to the first man.
"Doesn't look like were going to here it does it?"
"I have heard it."
His friend looked at him sharply.  "But there was no sound.
None.  What are you talking about?"
"Cheer up, cloth ears," he said, "It's only a fairytale. innit?"

:)  :(  :D         ;)
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2004, 08:50

Hi man!!!

I feel all the respect from this subject, so don't get me wrong if I tell you... but I laugh to tears with this story...!!!!

There is a lot of malicious and vicious music around... music that steals the beauty and replaces it with darkness and bad messages...

Amarok is a wonderful record!!! It is very spiritual, and positive. But I understand you because sometimes a little thing as a record can be a reason for big thoughts and feelings, eventually negative.

It is obviously an unwise thing to have Amarok on the car. I wouldn't play it almost anywhere if it's not a place where you feel you're not gonna lose any relationship because of the music you play!!!!

Amarok is abrupt and sometimes strong, even violent in some moment. But it is the violence of a child that smashes a dish and records it in an album. He was frustrated 'cos his creativity was being drown by the 'demonic' powers of commerciality. It was his only way out. But it deserved it and we all enjoy such a real and true expression.

So try no to be frightened by all those sounds around and understand that the subtle beauty of 'The Lake', the romanticism of 'The Wind Chimes' and the grandness of 'Tubular Bells' are present here... in a bit more strange album.

Anyway... have you thought that maybe you are just a cloth-eared nincompoop??? (JOKE).

Give it another try... who tells you that when you start to understand and enjoy the wonder and joy this album has, everything will not turn much better for you???

Regards,

Delfín>>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
FatBantha Offline

Posted: May 05 2004, 10:50

When I bought it, my life changed in very positive way - I'm *HA HA HA HAPPY* man now, you know... :laugh:

Of course I've founded negative effect of Amarok (or rather reading this forum :D ) - my sister loves your story (she likes spooky stuff) and she took me my Amarok compact disc away... to check it out. :(  GIVE ME BACK MY AMAROK!

I'm lucky - she didn't take "Ommadawn"... :D
Profile PM 
molich Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2004, 14:20

I a agree .....With MOfan its a demonic album.

The best album ever From Oldfield.

The voices going out of tune in the end with the pichted / sampled guitars is for shure demonic and reminds in a very ecsact way of a state of mind when i was a child.
This musical description of a schizofrenic mind is a masterpiece.

To Mo fan: Deamons are everywhere getting rid of your AMAROK tape will not keep you safe.
You have to face the deamons they are not on the tape but is in you or around you....however the album is an image of some deamons and can help you to deal with them.
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2007, 10:54

Quote (MO fan @ Nov. 21 2002, 12:31)
Wolf name
Mag--- Thatc-- in the album (cant even say that name)
AMAROK not to be played in the car at any cost

Could this be reasons why the album is possibly demonic?

Not yet convinced its a safe album.

Cheers MO fan  :/

:laugh:
Profile PM 
29 replies since Nov. 16 2002, 18:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net