Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 11:52

The lyrics to Police, -'Mother' come to mind ;

Well the telephone is ringing
Is that my mother on the phone
The telephone is screaming
Won't she leave me alone.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 12:05

I was just thinking about that same song after I posted my reply before.I always thought that was a great track and doubly so I guess on that album because you had Sting all entrenched in this Jung/Synchronicity stuff.And then I could be wrong but I just thought Andy Summers did that song as one big jokey wind up towards his band mate...Ah no wonder it all turned so sour in the end.I loved that album though at the time.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2008, 16:16

I have been listening to "Hiawatha", and paying attention to the words.

The word "water", pronounced war-tar - ("war" as in war) and ("tar" as in tar), is sung 13 times. I would say that it's a  kind of (posh) London, English accent,  -"may I have a glass of war-tar".

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2008, 02:48

That is probably the best description of it.I must admit to quite liking it though.
Maddy Prior is one of those English folk singers that have that very English middle class accent,as did Sandy Denny and the lady from Pentangle (don't shoot me guys it's early morning here and i forgot her name).Listen to her speaking at the beginning of the Exposed DVD.
  I do refer the Ode To Cynthia bit on side 4 though to be fair cos it's shorter. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 15:57

I guess we should be happy Maddy wasn't New York born and bred.  Then she might have ended up singing something like, "Hadda call a plumma to woik on my terlet, a toitle got stuck down dere".

;)

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2008, 18:37

How would Maddy get on with this tongue twister?: -

One smart (long)fellow he felt smart, two smart fellows they felt smart, three smart fellows they felt smart, four smart fellows they felt smart... and so on....

Might make her blush.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 02:59

Quote (The Caveman @ Oct. 09 2008, 06:48)
That is probably the best description of it.I must admit to quite liking it though.
Maddy Prior is one of those English folk singers that have that very English middle class accent,as did Sandy Denny and the lady from Pentangle (don't shoot me guys it's early morning here and i forgot her name).Listen to her speaking at the beginning of the Exposed DVD.
  I do refer the Ode To Cynthia bit on side 4 though to be fair cos it's shorter. :)

Jacqui McShee is the lady from Pentangle.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2008, 02:49

I remembered after i sent the post.Thanks MCH. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2008, 08:40

Incantations, was my first MO album buy. Surprisingly I wasn't influenced by Tubular Bells or Ommadawn. But a friend had purchashed it in 1979 and I got chance to borrow it and was immediately spellbound!

To me its Mike's most accomplished album (which may explain my username on here :) ) and I never tire of the Maddy Prior offerings, even if the songs are a touch repetitve. For me they're the perfect form of relaxation & harmony for an addled brain.

Having said that its been quite awhile since I last listened to Incantations. Must change all that when I get home tonight and continue my current reading of Lord Of The Rings while listening to my favourite MO album to date  :)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2008, 08:42

Good choice of reading music.Funnily enough though MOTS reminds me of LOTR. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
49 replies since Sep. 29 2008, 13:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net