Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: irritating vocals< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
warlock Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 10:30

And just to be clear - i love Incantations as a whole.

--------------
cheers from Poland.
Profile PM 
Zeeter Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 10:39

Hi Guys!

have any of you seen Dances With Wolves?

...just get up and shake that thing...

(the bonefire is optional)

Zeeter
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 12:36

Hello Zeeter. I've seen Dances with Wolves, and more than once too. But at the moment I can't recally any "get-up-and-shake-that-thing" kind of scene... :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 15:47

Sorry, the "soldier" is the album Incantations. The 2 of us are ready to fight off attackers.......just me and my 2 vinyl shields. But if they shatter, given a choice between me and the record(to get away..)I choose me....sorry, you can be replaced, Incantations.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 16:05

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 30 2008, 15:47)
Sorry, the "soldier" is the album Incantations. The 2 of us are ready to fight off attackers.......just me and my 2 vinyl shields. But if they shatter, given a choice between me and the record(to get away..)I choose me....sorry, you can be replaced, Incantations.

I'll be your soldier! Our marching military theme could be the intro of part 3!
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2008, 16:50

@ Scatterplot: OK, never mind. It's a nice image all the same. Your explanation makes it even better. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2008, 00:46

It's OK, I'm assembling an elite strike force. The Battle for Hergest Ridge will begin early next year. You want in? Hairy Hippy, you can take the point.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2008, 17:55

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 01 2008, 06:46)
The Battle for Hergest Ridge will begin early next year.

Hergest Ridge??? I thought we were talking about Incantations. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 00:48

It's just a joke.....

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 08:37

Okay, got it. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 18:10

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 01 2008, 04:46)
It's OK, I'm assembling an elite strike force. The Battle for Hergest Ridge will begin early next year. You want in? Hairy Hippy, you can take the point.

Count me in, I could do with some army style training to get me fit.

Maybe the battle of Hergest Ridge will make it into the history books as one of the greatest battles of all time.  Make's me think of this song

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mANx3L-N0yU

I hope that there'll be no bloodshed on Hergest Ridge.

Oh yes about Incantations I haven't played it for a while,just giving the CD a spin now. The only thing I dislike or hate with a passion about Incantations is the cover, I have to turn the cover upside down, as I hate the front cover that much, but it's a good job I don't judge the musicby the album cover.  I'd love to superimpose an earlier image of hippy Mike over the cover.  
   :p  :O . I'm sorry Mike but that jacket and trousers make you look years older than you were, and you don't look happy after   Exegisis therapy, I'm wondering why people pay good money to be bellowed at about how 'orrible and what a shower of shite they are.  Just think it's possible to join the army and get some Sergeant Major shout it at you and get paid for it, the downside is there is a risk that you might be shot at.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 19:14

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 03 2008, 00:10)
Just think it's possible to join the army and get some Sergeant Major shout it at you and get paid for it, the downside is there is a risk that you might be shot at.

Apart from the fact that a Sergeant Major is called a Master Sergeant down here, and that most of them in the current Italian army (which is all volunteers, no compulsory service) are 30-year-old-kids (so how the heck can they be "Masters" ? :O), this reminds me of the beginning (or indeed of the whole first part) of Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. How's that for "Irritating vocals", to keep in with this topic's title? :D Check 'em out here. By the way, the lead vocal in this is none other than Ronald Lee Ermey, playing Sergeant Hartman in the movie. [The track is just samples from the movie put to an electronic beat.] I've never been in the military and I somehow regret it, but I wouldn't want to have been under that kind of sergeant. However, I guess they're all the same. :)

By the way, funny mediaeval video you linked up there. I've never heard that band bedofe, but they sound good. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 19:52

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 02 2008, 23:14)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 03 2008, 00:10)
Just think it's possible to join the army and get some Sergeant Major shout it at you and get paid for it, the downside is there is a risk that you might be shot at.

Apart from the fact that a Sergeant Major is called a Master Sergeant down here, and that most of them in the current Italian army (which is all volunteers, no compulsory service) are 30-year-old-kids (so how the heck can they be "Masters" ? :O), this reminds me of the beginning (or indeed of the whole first part) of Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. How's that for "Irritating vocals", to keep in with this topic's title? :D Check 'em out here. By the way, the lead vocal in this is none other than Ronald Lee Ermey, playing Sergeant Hartman in the movie. [The track is just samples from the movie put on an electronic beat.] I've never been in the military and I somehow regret it, but I wouldn't want to have been under that kind of sergeant. However, I guess they're all the same. :)

By the way, funny mediaeval video you linked up there. I've never heard that band bedofe, but they sound good. :)

Ugo, this is a Seargeant in the British Army, taken from a programme "Bad Lads Army" where bad lads do a number of weeks 1950's style National Service army training.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hK9yLZGAZHM

I think most of the Sergeants in the British Army are men in thier 30's or 40's, and they can shout and bellow, except with the exception of Dad's Army's Sgt Wilson, they're wearing German uniforms as they were meant to be filming a anti German propaganda film.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s6VDi5OezUI

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 20:17

@ moonchildhippy: very nice clips - for different reasons, of course. I've seen something similar (to the first one) on the Italian RAI network, some time ago; it was a program, or a "special" of some kind, where a group of 'street kids' were taken off the street and given either a proper education or a job, but before that they had to do a one-month "boot camp" in an Italian Army barracks. Most of them weren't bad lads any longer when they finished the camp. :)

So... they all shout, don't they? I thought that FMJ was a little bit exaggerated, but evidently I was wrong. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 07:30

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 03 2008, 00:17)
So... they all shout, don't they? I thought that FMJ was a little bit exaggerated, but evidently I was wrong. :D

Yes Ugo indeed all army Sergeants can shout and bellow like that.  My Grandad was a Sergeant in the Royal Artillery in WW2, until he was invalided out of the army.
Full Metal Jacket was no exaggeration.

"The Deadly Attachment" has to be my favourite Dad's Army episode, where Captaim Mainwaring's (pronounced Mannering) have taken a German U-Boat crew prisoner.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pwldGmw4yDo

One of my favourite clips from that one is in the vid above, and also where Capt Mainwairing sends out for some fish and chips for the German prisoners, and the German Captian says " I don't vant any nasty soggy chips" :laugh:  :laugh: . Perhaps I should say that at my local chippie as they've sometinmes given me nasty soggy chips.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:18

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 03 2008, 13:30)
"The Deadly Attachment" has to be my favourite Dad's Army episode, where Captaim Mainwaring's (pronounced Mannering) have taken a German U-Boat crew prisoner.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pwldGmw4yDo

Thanks for this clip as well - like many British shows and sitcoms, Dad's Army never aired here so I never got to appreciate it.
Also, thanks for confirming that the "shouting sergeant" thing isn't limited to movies and to the USA but it's pretty much universal. As I said above, there are moments when I regret not having served in the military, but there are also moments when I consider myself very lucky that I haven't. :D

On a side note, I'll never cease to be amazed at the ease with which any thread here on the tubular.net forum can be completely turned its way around. This one started from irritating vocals in Mike Oldfield's Incantations album, it (briefly) steered towards the album itself, and ended up talking about sergeants, the Army and other military things. Oh, well. :D :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 11:11

In all my years of enjoying Maddy and Steeleye it never occurred to me that anyone would find her voice less than enjoyable.  I find she can be both subtle and forceful, depending on the requirements of the songs.  I adore her voice no matter what she's singing.  If she sang the phone book I'd still love it.  If it's the long and repetitive structure of "Hiawatha" that's so challenging, then I guess I could agree in principle with someone else's impatience, but like others here have said, the very foundation of "Incantations" is length and repetition.  That is it's special beauty.  That's what keeps me treasuring it year after year.

All I can add is... Dude, stay away from Philip Glass!    :laugh:

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 11:16

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 03 2008, 07:30)

I remember that episode, classic! Infact I used to live in Thetford where they filmed a lot of the outdoor scenes for Dad's Army. In that episode they march the German prisoners down a street in Thetford along which I would often walk with my headphones on,  I can distinctly remember listening to Ommadawn along that street.

How about that for a link!
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 07:22

Come to think of it though, there is something about a strong brogue traditional 'folk' voice that can come across too worldly and intimidating, - it can to my ears.  

I used to have an 'issue' with side 2, although I don't now, but in those days I didn't care for 'folk music' - it made me come over 'weird,' and sometime still does, - 'the heavy duty' variety. Maybe it's an aquired taste because I can enjoy it now, as background music, and I like to listen to Mike Harding's Radio 2 folk show on a Wednesday evening.  

Looking back I think that 7 minute stint of singing, was the 'issue' I had with side 2. She has a beautiful voice, I always knew that, but in your teens it comes across as an 'old' voice, - like your mother singing to you, or lecturing you - going on and on.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 08:55

[quote=wiga,Oct. 06 2008, 12:22][/quote]
She has a beautiful voice, I always knew that, but in your teens it comes across as an 'old' voice, - like your mother singing to you, or lecturing you - going on and on.

:laugh: I like it.And great post as well I can certainly identify with a lot of what you`re saying there.I think Maddy`s voice and a lot of folk singers in general as you say can sound quite dark and foreboding.And then in the case of Maddy singing with Steeleye Span you know even when she`s singing a little more "sweetly" I guess it`s all.."There was blood all in the kitchen,..There was blood all in the hall".  :D Dare I suggest that it`s not for the faint of heart?..Or maybe people with "Freudian" issues perhaps?..Or maybe I should strike that last bit and reverse it?..heh heh.Who knows?
Profile PM 
49 replies since Sep. 29 2008, 13:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net