Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: iPhone Notification Sample?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 04 2024, 20:43

At around 39:01 of Return to Ommadawn, at the hiatus between the second last and the very last short movement/passage, there is a sound effect (a guitar strum - I'm not sureof the technical name for that technique, not being a guitar expert myself) that sounds almost exactly like the default iPhone notification.  It may not be in the exact same key, but it's pretty close.  Did Mike sample it or reproduce it?  Either way, it works exceptionally well.  IT's just that each time I hear an iPhone get a notification, I start humming Return to Ommadawn.

(The version of the notification below isn't exactly as it sounds on the actual phones today, which is much closer to what is heard on Return to Ommadawn, but it retains the basic sense of it so that hopefully you can see what I'm getting at.  Maybe someone else has even noticed th4e similarity before).

iPhone notification sounds like chord in Return to Ommadawn
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 07 2024, 08:14

Maybe it means that, like Apple, Mike Oldfield will "stop supporting" the product after the next "upgrade", and you'll have to buy a completely new one. Who in their right mind would buy an Apple product when Galaxy doesn't do this?
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 10 2024, 22:07

Quote (nightspore @ June 07 2024, 08:14)
Maybe it means that, like Apple, Mike Oldfield will "stop supporting" the product after the next "upgrade", and you'll have to buy a completely new one. Who in their right mind would buy an Apple product when Galaxy doesn't do this?

I was more thinking that perhaps Oldfield was familiar with the notification tone and liked the sound of it and was inspired to use it.  Or is it just a coincidence?  I wouldnt be at surprised if it was the former.  Or perhaps, in the process of writing the album, he hit a writer's block and couldn't think of a linking phrase or chord or effect, and then his device pinged, and a light went off in his brain - "Aha!  That's it!" If so, it would be similar to this anecdote related by Herbie Flowers concerning the completion of his 1971 song, "Grandad":

Flowers is also known for having composed the novelty hit "Grandad" for Clive Dunn, a fact that has tended to overshadow his many other achievements. According to Flowers on the BBC Radio 2 show Jammin', he came up with it after following an easy primer book on composing. All he needed was a hook, and he was struggling to come up with anything. He phoned a friend (Ken Pickett) who came round, ringing the doorbell, and the ding-dong from the doorbell provided the hook he needed.

If you listen to the song, the notes and rhythm of "Grandad, Grandad" in the chorus are indeed typical of an old fashioned doorbell.  It makes you wonder how often these kinds of happy coincidences, happenstance, fate, etc. may occur and have occurred in the creation of classic pieces of music, literature etc.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 11 2024, 07:36

It's more likely that Mike Oldfield is the force behind Apple and uses that to reference the apple/kaustubha in RTO.

And as Milamber reminds us, there are no coincidences  :p
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 11 2024, 15:31

Quote (nightspore @ June 11 2024, 07:36)
It's more likely that Mike Oldfield is the force behind Apple and uses that to reference the apple/kaustubha in RTO.

And as Milamber reminds us, there are no coincidences  

I'm not aware of any "kaustubha" on Return to Ommadawn, or even the original Ommadawn, or any other Mike Oldfield, or any other Western musical recording or even in any traditional Indian music; nor is it particularly obvious how a "kaustubha" could be used in a piece of recorded music, at all.  (Nor is there any mention of an "apple" in Return to Ommadawn; there is indirect reference to horses, which eat apples, though.  That could be what youre getting at, I suppose).

Now, could it be possible you meant to say "...'cause tuba..." - in reference to Herbie Flowers (the tuba maestro/extraordinaire - probably the greatest exponent of the instrument in the last 60 years)?  Or is that just a coincidence...?

Speaking of coincidences, they certainly exist and can be easily proven; whether or not we want to conflate the same with the concept of fate, per se, is a slightly more tricky matter.  It seems to me that there are mere coincidences - happenstance, dumb luck, remarkable flukes etc - and there are also events which are certainly the workings and eventual ripening/fruition of a cosmically inscrutable kind of cause and effect sequence stretching back potentially many lifetimes, forged through vows and the infallible laws of karma.  These truly are a source of prodigious wonder and are not, as Marimba reminds us (or helps us to marimba), mere everyday, profane "coincidences" such as enshrined in populist quotations such as "of all the gin joints...."  (Although I am sure there is an alternate, spiritual reading of Casablanca out there.  If so, fair play to them).

Anyway, with the iPhone ringtone notification/tone, it strikes me as being virtually identical to the chord/effect/hiatus breaker heard at 39:01 (the key may be slightly different, which is a simple matter of a minute adjustment to a mixing desk slider).  We know that Mike Oldfield does not work for Apple and has never worked for them, although in all likelihood he has or does presently own an iPhone/Pad or other similarly notifiable device.  My question is , could this be a coincidence, or did Mike know of this tone/sound effect, and liked it and thus inserted it into the album?  Perhaps he heard the notification during the recording/composition process and was duly inspired?  If so, it would be, as mentioned above, reminiscent of the Herbie Flowers "Grandad" doorbell anecdote.
Profile PM 
4 replies since June 04 2024, 20:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net