Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: into wonderland/sally< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 09 2008, 06:04

Thanks very much Ugo, I've been listening to my Platinum CD recently, its very interesting to hear the original track!

The "shouting" singing style I find a bit off-putting, I keep expecting it to be an introduction sort of thing with proper vocals starting at some point but they never do.

Solo / instrumental work in the second half of the song is great.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 09 2008, 08:28

The first time I heard Platinum was on a tape a friend of mine made for me the year the album was released.His version contained the Into Wonderland song which is the version I now own on cd.When I originally bought the album myself however a few months or so after my friend had copied it for me it contained the Sally song which Mike obviously intended to be on the original album.

I have to say despite having lived with Into Wonderland for a few months the original track is far superior imo.Ok the singing is well dubious it has to be said,but it kind of adds to the charm of the naievity of the song for me.Also the link going into Punkadiddle just doesn`t sound right to me now without that instrumental passage at the end of the song.One of the highlights of the whole album imo.It never fails to make all my hairs stand on end.As does Mike`s fantastic guitar solo he plays in the middle of it.Also those little pre-cues to the song that appear in the middle of Airborne just seem pointless when the song itself is missing from the album.I don`t know just how much influence Branson had in getting the track removed,but either way they should`ve bloody left it as it was.

Anyway the friend who made me that original copy was in complete agreement when I played it for him later.To say he was pissed off would be putting it mildly actually.When I finally got around to re-buying all of Mike`s albums on compact disc.The quadraphonic boxed,and Platinum were the only albums that I kept on vinyl.Still sounds fantastic to me now and is spinning around on my record deck at this very moment.   :cool:
Profile PM 
Modeler Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2008, 14:58

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 08 2008, 18:52)
@ mink stoles: you can get it here.   If this doesn't work, check your mailbox... ;)

Thanks so much for this, I've wanted to hear this for ages and have bought Platinum three (count 'em) times in various formats (vinyl, original CD, remaster) in the hope of hearing it.

The challenge for me now is to do a remastering job on it myself. Since Punkadiddle is there on the MP3, I'll try to match the levels to track 7 of the remastered CD. Then if I chop it in exactly the right places it should slot right in. Fan-f***ing-tastic!!!

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Man, they don't write songs like that any more...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2008, 15:51

You're welcome, mink. By the way, if your Platinum remastering job is successful, could you please send a copy of your work to me? :) Some time ago I tried to slot in the Sally/Punkadiddle medley by myself, but, as I'm not very skilled with audio editors, it came out horrible... with clicks, unwanted echoes and stuff... :D

However, I'm glad that you like my upload. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 11:42

I think Into Wonderland if far better than (the original) Sally. The first half of Sally sounds like a very rough demo for a tune (both the sound quality and the arrangement). To me Into Wonderland is the highlight of Platinum. I love the slightly weird singing style and the over-jolly synth solo. It's a very difficult track to categorize.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Modeler Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 14:28

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 14 2008, 15:51)
You're welcome, mink. By the way, if your Platinum remastering job is successful, could you please send a copy of your work to me? :) Some time ago I tried to slot in the Sally/Punkadiddle medley by myself, but, as I'm not very skilled with audio editors, it came out horrible... with clicks, unwanted echoes and stuff... :D

However, I'm glad that you like my upload. ;)

Okay, because you included just enough of Woodhenge I was able to gauge the exact start and end points. Better yet, I was able to use the whole of Punkadiddle to judge the levels for Sally.

Listening to Punkadiddle and A/B'ing the MP3 against the CD, I got the two sounding identical to my ears on my studio monitors. It also seems that your turntable is ever so slightly too slow (not so you'd notice) assuming the remastered CD is exactly the right speed of course, which it should be! The speed adjustment will obviously have 'corrected' Sally too.

This has been an interesting exercise. I'm quite happy with the reproduction of Sally, bearing in mind the quality of the source and the limitations of my gear (and experience). I'll PM you with the result.

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 14:59

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 15 2008, 11:42)
I think Into Wonderland if far better than (the original) Sally. The first half of Sally sounds like a very rough demo for a tune (both the sound quality and the arrangement). To me Into Wonderland is the highlight of Platinum. I love the slightly weird singing style and the over-jolly synth solo. It's a very difficult track to categorize.

I,ll have to disagree with you on that.The original Sally fits much better on side two and links into punkadiddle perfectly. I wouldn,t call into wonderland a highlight it,s more of a lowlight for me,and spoils the whole feel of side two.But thats just my view,what do i know?  :)
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 19:40

Hey Ugo, thanks for sharing this file!!  :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 05:05

@ Ben: you're welcome. In case the upload is gone (it probably is...), just tell me and I'll re-upload it. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 06:29

Well, I've been listening to Sally a few times today, and I love it!  Yes it's quirky and the singing is questionable, but it fits so much better than Into Wonderland does.  I never liked Into Wonderland that much.  It seems a lot worse now that I've heard Sally.  Virgin should release Sally and all the other Oldfield rarities on a CD compilation, it's about time...

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Modeler Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 09:28

Quote (Moz @ Feb. 16 2008, 06:29)
Well, I've been listening to Sally a few times today, and I love it!  Yes it's quirky and the singing is questionable, but it fits so much better than Into Wonderland does.  I never liked Into Wonderland that much.  It seems a lot worse now that I've heard Sally.  Virgin should release Sally and all the other Oldfield rarities on a CD compilation, it's about time...

Agreed. The guitar run and quotes from Platinum part 2 somehow make the whole album more cohesive. They should have just re-recorded the vocals and kept the song in.

Into Wonderland is nice, I've lived with it for this long but the 1950's style singing detracts from the prog-rock mood of the rest of the album. Nice Minimoog solo though! :)

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2008, 03:31

Quote (Modeler @ Feb. 16 2008, 09:28)
Quote (Moz @ Feb. 16 2008, 06:29)

Agreed. The guitar run and quotes from Platinum part 2 somehow make the whole album more cohesive. They should have just re-recorded the vocals and kept the song in.

Into Wonderland is nice, I've lived with it for this long but the 1950's style singing detracts from the prog-rock mood of the rest of the album. Nice Minimoog solo though! :)

Just had my first listen - agree with your thoughts on this.

Certainly interesting.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2008, 03:56

Into Wonderland is nice, I've lived with it for this long but the 1950's style singing detracts from the prog-rock mood of the rest of the album.

I don't find "Into Wonderland" distracting from the mood of the album. After all, there's the 1920s/1930s style "Charleston". But then, I don't feel a consistent mood throughout Platinum. If anything doesn't fit, though, I'd say it was "Woodhenge".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2008, 07:42

I think Woodhenge is wonderful peice but,i agree,it doesn't fit too well with the rest.I believe it was recorded at Througham a while before the rest of the tracks (he'd moved to Denham before sessions started for the rest)making it at least a year old.The album has a light,upbeat feel and Woodhenge is closer than the older,pre-therapy stuff.In fact as i've said elsewhere it's closest relative is First Excursion,recorded in August 76.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 06:10

Quote (Sweetpea @ Mar. 04 2008, 03:56)
Into Wonderland is nice, I've lived with it for this long but the 1950's style singing detracts from the prog-rock mood of the rest of the album.

I don't find "Into Wonderland" distracting from the mood of the album. After all, there's the 1920s/1930s style "Charleston". But then, I don't feel a consistent mood throughout Platinum. If anything doesn't fit, though, I'd say it was "Woodhenge".

Hmm - yes - listened again last night and have to say I agree, though I do like the mood of the piece.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 23:16

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 15 2008, 11:42)
To me Into Wonderland is the highlight of Platinum. I love the slightly weird singing style and the over-jolly synth solo. It's a very difficult track to categorize.

I agree. It has a very unusual rhythm. I usually dislike Mike's pop songs, but I'm very fond of this, as I am most of the songs on "Islands". "Heaven's Open" and "Runaway Son" are fun too.
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: April 09 2008, 07:10

I have the Sally version on an LP - but since that is in the attic along with the zillion other LP's, where can I download Sally for MP3?

Thanks - I'm too old for new technology..  ;)

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 20:23

Usenet is the best place. Get the grabit client; that's the best way to access newsgroups. I always download music this way to see whether I like particular CDs enough to buy them.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2023, 16:45

Has Sally ever appeared on an official CD anywhere in the world?

I'm thinking that the answer is 'no'.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 30 2023, 15:34

It should have been a bonus track on the Platinum Deluxe Edition imho. Its length would easily fit on cd 1.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 08 2002, 00:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net