Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: into wonderland/sally< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 08 2002, 00:13

*im not sure but i think 'into wonderlan' is the name of the other song on one of the platinum versions or somethn...that being said:*

im confused about these songs...are they the same song? are they different? why does one version of platinum have one and another version have another? am i missing anything if ive only heard sally? if they are the same song, why was it renamed?

please inform me...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2002, 05:50

Hey, when you want to win the second quiz you better find out for yourself...

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: June 08 2002, 10:02

quiz? what quiz? confused

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 08 2002, 10:55

http://www.mikeoldfield.org/competitions/index.htm

Better read this...

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: June 08 2002, 12:32

sigh....perfect timing for me to ask this question.... frown

lol

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 05:43

If you really need to know, see either the Questions and Answers section or the Platinum section or the Discography.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 25 2003, 16:57

I knew of this affair around 1993 and I think I remember I saw in a record shop some CDs that stated the song Into Wonderland while others said Sally. Someone can confirm that Into The Wonderland title had appeared in the back cover of any edition while most of the editions that contain this song feature Sally at the back cover?

Well, I'll tell you a story  :D . When this album appeared the track list include the song Sally (2nd of the B side), this track is something like the central song of the album (one melody of Sally appears at Platinum-part 1 and another at the start of Punkaddidle). Soon after the album had reached the shops Richard Branson decided that the song must be taken out from the record, so it only appeared at the few first copies. The official version is that Branson didn't liked the song and asked Mike to substitue the song with another, that new song was Into Wonderland.

Into The Wonderland appeared from then on in all the editions of Platinum, including the remastered edition and (nearly?) always under the title Sally.

But there's another story behind this change. At that time Mike's girlfriend was Sally Cooper (and probably, if Molly hadn't been born she was going to be born soon). It is said that Richard Branson tried to win Sally's heart  :O , something that, as you can imagine, Mike didn't like very much. As a vengeance wrote this song in which he calls Branson a gorilla. Branson didn't like this neither and menace Mike to substite the song or he would retire the album from the record shops to demonstrate who was the boss.

For some reason at the track list remained Sally. That have made some people wonder if the track called Into The Wonderland wouldn't really be Sally. Another proof to that idea is that Wendy Roberts said that Mike called her to sing another song for the album and that he always refeared to that song as Sally. In my opinion this isn't enough because we all know that sometimes when you are recording a song this has a name that can be changed at the end (such as Nativity or A Bag Of Secrets). That only proves that Mike didn't have a title for the song at that moment  :cool: . Another explanation it would be that they could have planned to change the song but not the title (can someone confirm that the name Into The Wonderland has appeared in any copy?).

Sorry for having posted a so long post  :zzz:
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 25 2003, 17:34

Yes Spinne, I can confirm that the title "Into Wonderland" really has been used because I own both albums on vinyl.

So, to be really clear: on the second edition the song "Into Wonderland" is listed on the cover as "Into Wonderland", not as "Sally".

--------------
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: June 26 2003, 16:16

Ok, thank you. I doubted it because I can't find a reason to use the name Sally when they know they're including Into The Wonderland (or they don't know?  :O ).
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 26 2003, 20:08

I actually doubt they know - look at all the other mistakes which have appeared on the covers of Mike's work (especially the remasters!;)...

The original excuse for the name not changing was that it meant that the artwork didn't have to be altered. I suppose that when they came to do subsequent editions, they referred back to the original artwork rather than the altered one (perhaps only the master copies of the original were kept), and really, the record company probably don't care what title's written there, as long as there's a track of some sort listed!

If the song Sally is meant to be calling anyone a Gorilla, I have to say it does it rather subtly, but perhaps Richard B was having a perceptive moment at the time.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 30 2003, 15:48

Or perhaps Branson is just a plain moron. :cool:

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2003, 22:08

I always thought Gorilla was referring to Mike ('Sally i'm just a Gorilla';) - maybe Richard B. is the 'Ape from Manila' (I know he's not from the Philippines but it rhymes!;). :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: April 14 2005, 06:47

I just downloaded "Sally" and now can't stop playing it. It's fantastic -- I love the references both to Side 1 of the record and the transmission between "Sally" and "Punkadiddle". Superb stuff. "Unprofessional" -- maybe. But then, I prefer something that's unprofessional and funny, witty, smart and has a tune I'm humming after one listen to something polished and deadly boring.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 14 2005, 06:55

Quote (Navaira @ April 14 2005, 06:47)
I love the references both to Side 1 of the record and the transmission between "Sally" and "Punkadiddle". Superb stuff.

Me too.  I think it's such a shame that the track was excised.  Branson can be such an ass!

:/

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 16:18

SALLY IS GREAT!! One of my favourite MO songs actually, even though the lyrics are stupid they have meaning behind all that silliness, just a man getting his message accross in a way that he could do comfortably, Mike wasn't a very confident chap then anyway........

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 03:36

I'm afraid I don't like either. Personally speaking, I find both 'Sally' and 'Into Wonderland' pants. Mind you, the whole of Side 1 of Platinum was well worth parting with my hard earned (pocket money I might add  ;)  ) at the time.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
mink stoles Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 09:00

where can i get the gorilla sally version?

--------------
So if you you feel a little glum,
To Hergest Ridge you should come.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2008, 03:14

Who wrote the lyrics to "Into Wonderland"?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2008, 18:52

@ Sweetpea: Mike did. For the original "Sally", Mike co-wrote the lyrics with Nico Ramsden.

@ mink stoles: you can get it here.   If this doesn't work, check your mailbox... ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2008, 02:45

Thanks, Ugo. I think the lyrics are sweet, though a bit odd grammatically.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 08 2002, 00:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net