Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Instruments< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 12:23

Why aren´t the instruments credited in it...? It´s part of TB tradition!!!

Remember the Moribund Chorus, The Grand Piano, The 2SDG...

And I have some doubts:

-Who plays the wonderful piano on 'The Top of The Morning'??

-I know that drums from 'Man In The Rain' are sampled from 'Moonligght Shadow' ones, but what about them on the rest of the tracks? Are the synthesised just like in 'Earth Moving' or is there any drum player?

-Does Mike play every single instrument on the album???

I know all these are questions that all of us have made ourselves in some times, but as always has to come Spanish Uncle Delfín to say what the rest don´t dare...

So you can say Spanish people are loud and talk so much... still sometimes it´s good... I´m looking forward going to Ireland soon and maybe I can learn a little good behaviour there...

wonderful,terrible,CRAZY,perfect

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 18:39

My answers:

1) The instruments aren't credited on TBIII because the only REAL instruments are guitars!!! smile And as everybody wink knows that Mike is a guitarist, he didn't evidently feel the need to write "Mike Oldfield plays guitars and synthetizers" !!! smile

2) Mike does. Who else? smile He said somewhere that he originally wrote TOTM on guitar and then he tried it on piano, just to see if it worked. Evidently it did. smile

3) No drummer. All the other drums are from drum machines. Remember "Let There Be Light" from TSODE? The drum loop in "Jewel in the Crown" is more or less the same one. wink

4) OF COURSE HE DOES!!! biggrin After all, as I said, the ONLY instruments used on TBIII are guitars and keyboards/synths. Even the piano is not really a piano, but a piano-like keyboard. And also the Tubular Bells are not really Tubular Bells, but a composite of multiple samples from real TB's, played on a keyboard. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 18:44

To my knowledge, everything is played by Mike (including the piano on 'The Top of the Morning'), except those parts which he sampled.

Those sampled parts are:

The drums on 'Outcast', sampled from 'Shadow on the Wall'.

The drums on 'Man in the Rain', as you've already said, sampled from 'Moonlight Shadow'.

The african drums in 'Far Above the Clouds', sampled from the end of Ommadawn Part 1.

The rest of the drum parts are all electronically created.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 18:50

AFAIK the FATC drums are also a composite (I remember Mike saying somewhere that he used his "favourite African drum loops" on FATC). To me it sounds like Omm. 1 + Africa II (Amarok) + some other electronic stuff. wink smile smile

P.S. (To Korgscrew): Richard, if you're online right now, please come into the chatroom. I have something to tell you. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 18:58

Ugo managed to sneak in and post while I was still writing that reply wink

As regards to the piano, I believe that's Mike's Steinway, miked up (if you'll excuse the pun). There are sympathetic resonances at the beginning (of The Top of the Morning) which I've never yet heard convincinly emulated by a piano module.

Some sampled pianos aren't bad though...depends on what you're doing with them...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2001, 19:05

Sorry for not believing you, Kgsc, but a friend of mine, who's a classically trained pianist, has got a 11-million-lire [you do the math... smile] piano sampler that can do EVERYTHING a real piano does, including resonances. smile He uses it for non-classical stuff. I'm not saying that Mike used that sampler on the album, but simply that some expensive electronic stuff available on the market can do that sort of trick. wink

P.S. I didn't sneak in. I posted AFTER you. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2001, 15:38

Hey, I can swear that Mike at least does not SING on the album, or is that a trick too? wink

Why don't we call synthesizer "real" instruments?

Interesting to hear about the drum samples!
I didn't know that. Well, it's better he takes sounds from himself than steals from someone else.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2001, 11:42

I agree with Hillbilly. Wouldn´t it be interesting to read a whole list of synthesiser models, such a modern thing compared with the past lists, and bringing more detail about the voices- Mike on 'Outcast', Greta on 'Far Above the Clouds', the Indian woman on 'The Bag Of Secrets' and 'Jewel In The Crown', or the Spanish Rosa Cedrón on 'The Inner Child'. I think is a little lack, but I love the phrase:

wonderful, terrible, crazy, perfect.

For me, those words are a definition of (my) life.

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Tommy
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 30 2002, 04:28

who is the guy playing winegasses on tubular bells III ? I know there is a german instrumentalist , who makes music with wineglasses - does someone know his name ?
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2002, 18:51

@ Tommy: he's Alastair (or Alisdair, or Alistair) Malloy, one of the percussionists. And IMHO the thing he does on glasses is not real, i.e. they don't produce the sound you hear: that sound was made from a sample played on a keyboard... maybe Korgscrew knows something more about this. :)

@ Delfin: there is a list of vocalists on the album's booklet, and it clearly specifies who sings what, except of course for Mike's voice on 'Outcast'. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2002, 18:58

oooooooooops I forgot something... @ Delfin... :)

1) It is not Greta on FATC, but Francesca Robertson.
2) AFAIK Rosa Cedron is Portuguese, not Spanish. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2002, 16:30

as far as i know, rosa cedrón is not portuguese but spanish. she and most of the other components of the galician band 'luar na lubre' are from a coruña, in galicia.
maybe just one of them, xavier ferreiro, isn't spanish, i read somewhere he is from cuba, but "galego in adoption"  ;)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2002, 18:21

From watching the video of the Horseguards concert it does look very much like Alister Malloy is miming the wine glasses bit, I'm fairly certain all the bell sounds are either mimed or midi triggerd aswell. I remember reading that the TB sound used on FATC is an engineered composite of various bell sounds so it would seem unlikely they would be able to replicate it as acurately as they did with the live version without just taking it off a computer. I think they did the same thing during the 1999 tour.

ps Alister Malloy is a really nice guy, I met him comming out of the Royal Albert Hall after one of the 20th aniversary gigs in 1993 and he gave me a tin of bear from a pack he was carrying. Top bloke.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 13:37

I have a feeling that the wine glasses are actually being played, just they're really low in the mix...I seem to remember hearing something in there which I reckoned could be them. I'd have to look at the mic positions in the video again to say if that's possible or not.

The bells, as far as I'm aware, are fitted with a set of MIDI triggers, so they can be used to trigger samples.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Sep. 03 2001, 12:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net