Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: instrumentals vs. songs, your thoughts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ginger Daddy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 03:50

Just as an aside... his new album features virtual vocalists and on Surfing and Tears Of An Angel (at least) actual lyrics... do people think of these as instrumentals or songs...?

IMHO they're songs (unlike Our Father and Nightshadein which the title is repeated with no actual meaning or additional lyrics).

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 04:50

Hmm, I'd certainly consider Surfing a song, but Tears of an Angel might just sneak in as an instrumental. I don't have a strict definition, it pretty much depends on my mood.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 10:07

I prefer instrumental, and i resentthem not being accepted as "songs" because they are "songs" i have an instrumental I have written called "cactus and monk" it is 3 1/2 minutes long, and has a structure like any lyrical song, the guitar sings in it other than a human being.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 11:05

I think that "Surfing" is structured as a song with verse, chorus and solo - so it's definitely a song. :) The lyrics don't sound (to me...) as relevant in "Tears" as they are in "Surfing", but I would't call "Tears" a purely instrumental piece. Would you call "Natural blues" by Moby an instrumental? :)

That said...

@ Jonnyw: I perfectly understand what you mean. There's a song by Gary Moore (or by Thin Lizzy, I don't remember the exact credit) called "Parisienne walkways", where the part he sings is very shorter (and IMHO less melodic) than what he plays on the guitar. Also "Summer song" by Joe Satriani sounds like a song, as the title says. Sometimes a song doesn't really need words/lyrics/vocals to be such - it's a "song without words". This concept is as old as Mendelssohn, and maybe even older. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2010, 05:03

I found this thread while having a wander through the extensive collection that is Tubular.net. The reason: I think a compilation album with Mike's best instrumentals on one side and most popular songs on side B might be successful. There are many to choose from, long and short. So to answer the question Mike asked in Madrid 2004, I would say have a compilation album with a mix of long and short instrumentals, re arranged and re mixed. What do other people think? Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2010, 07:15

I used to do compilition tapes like most of us here.I used to have seperate ones for Oldfield Instrumentals and Oldfield Songs.I have always preferred his instrumental work as some of his songs sound abit 'forced' IMHO.However he has done some good songs.Shine and Pictures In The Dark are often overlooked but i bought both when they came out at the tender age of 10 for PITD and 11 for Shine and i think they are really good songs and both have nice guitar solos,especially Shine which is one of my all time favourite solos.
 If it were to come to a compilation then i'd say a double cd would be best.One cd for the instrumental and one for songs.
 I think it would be better if the instrumental one concentrated on the shorter peices rather than extracts from albums.To be honest if such a compilation were to come to fruition then it would be fans that would buy it in the main so we'd already have all the long albums anyway.Ok we'd probably have most of the shorter stuff as well but it would be nice to see them together in one place and there's a few rare peices that would be nice to have on a cd.
In particular i'd like to see the below instrumental peices:

Song Of The Boatman
Indian Lake
Afghan
Mike Oldfield's Single (original un-tinkered with version)
Spanish Tune
Pipe Tune
Wreckorder Wrondo

There's hundreds you could choose from but they would be my top choices.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2010, 07:34

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 15 2010, 07:15)
Song Of The Boatman
Indian Lake
Afghan
Mike Oldfield's Single (original un-tinkered with version)
Spanish Tune
Pipe Tune
Wreckorder Wrondo

There's hundreds you could choose from but they would be my top choices.

I agree that "Song of the Boatman" is the best of the hard-to-get short instrumentals - particularly in the context of that marvelous video on youtube that someone posted not long ago. I like "Indian Lake" too - the only trouble is the name reminds me of the pop song of the same name by the Cowsills - anyone remember them? No? Well, cop this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJF6xSpDdZs

:D
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2010, 07:36

And with resect to your tastes we'd have to make sure it was a good spread across the years.I fairness he released some cracking little peices in the 80's and 90's. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2010, 02:21

Yes Deb, thats actually an easy and fun thing to do. One time, I think it was about a year perhaps a little more ago. An old thread about Mike and heavy metal. I had been inquiring about where to get simple software that would fade in/out MP3 and .Wav songs into a single long file. Someone led me in the right direction and I found the sotfware. Made a 45-50 minute compilation of MO's best git stuff(5MO, Amarok, Incantations, etc.) ending with the climactic deafening end to Taurus 2. A fun way to kill 3-4 hours. Really cool, you just pick the fade in/out points and drag the mouse up or down to create fades. Stick these together in the order you want and render one long file, FUN stuff!
    Which leads me to DJaying. Something I never quite understood. I had a conversation with a guy at my job who had a huge PA/Deejay system tucked away in his office. I asked "why are so many deejay packages sold that have 2 LP record turntables on top?" As so few releases are made on LP, why, why?? Plus pops and ticks, why? His answer had no credibility and led me to my natural conclusion that they are "for show". I told him my approach to being a DeeJay would be this: I would make several "sets" of dance/electronica/pop music in the same way as the MO compilation. Several 30 or 40 minute "well thought out" WAV files faded in/out this way. Save them on a good laptop computer which would be kept out of sight. Put a low budget DeeJay system visible to the audience which does NOTHING. Then covertly reach under a shelf and click "play" on the laptop which has it's line out connected to a PA system. I'd have a mic and say the normal things, "I wanna see some hips swing!"......"yayaay boys and girls!"...."Let's get it up!" Cool huh? These files of course periodically updated to include Miley Cyrus or what not's new hits.....
    Just a fun thought. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it. But it would be the best logical approach to satisfying the crowd and my need for sonic perfection in delivery of "the product" Plus I just stand there and look/sound cool. Funky hat perhaps.....and a colorful poncho. Oh and shades, yeah.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2010, 05:53

Shake that groove thang Jim! Its true, most Deejay gigs have the bells and whistles but the music is downloaded and ready to run, and turntables? No real purpose unless for rap and hip hop scratching! Having fun sorting through Mike's shorter instrumentals and loading them. Will tinker with the ones I want to keep and let you know the running order. You can let me know where I stuff up tech wise! Promise I won't breach copyright laws or play the line up at any gigs, its just for fun! Deb
Profile PM 
29 replies since May 25 2003, 17:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net