Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Insomnia, 7,68 MB< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 14 2003, 04:00

Insomnia

Couldn't sleep, so I made this. My first attempt at multitrack recording.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Progman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 15 2003, 04:56

A little confusing, that first part. But the rest is really nice. Very Amarokian, verging on rip-off.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 15 2003, 06:36

The later sections said more Orabidoo to me, if anything (but I see what Progman means, with the footsteps in there), though I don't find anything close enough for the rip off alarm to be sounding here!

I like the first part - I like the way all the layers build up to give a really rich sound. It's nice the way that echoes of that then come into the middle section.

What I find particularly nice are the subtle sound effects in there. I think it lends quite an ambient, and also a pastoral feel to the parts where they appear.

There seem to be a load of data drop-outs or something in the file - is that just my system or, as I suspect, a problem with the file?

Nice work, anyway!
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: July 15 2003, 09:32

Thanks a lot for your kind words.
The idea behind this piece is to expose everything at once at breakneck-speed during the first 90 seconds, then start all over again, slowly unwinding the different motifs in a completely different ambience. The last section is some kind of a conclusion, where the main theme is presented once more.
The first part is like urban life, everything happens at once without any rest. It's hard to grasp the meaning and significance of things.
The second part is the same story told in a countryside setting. One thing at a time.
And the third part is maybe the subconscious version of the same thing. Er, or something like that. It all came to me in a hurry.
The file is exported using Cakewalk's native MP3 encoder, and sounded OK. But I haven't checked it after the upload. Is it possible that a file can get corrupted during FTP transfer? I used the stone-age method of command-prompt FTP.
And I admit I took the footsteps from Amarok. The main inspiration is Incantations, though, the odd meter-ostinato of the first section is what triggered the whole composition.
But most of all, Terry Riley's A Rainbow In Curved Air is the inspiration for the multi-layer technique. That's the same piece that MO was accused of ripping off with Tubular Bells.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: July 15 2003, 15:04

Very cool piece.
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: July 16 2003, 08:19

Those data-dropouts Korgscrew mentions are terribly irritating. Please fix those. :)

Besides that it sounds quite decent. If I would make a track not being able to sleep, it would sound like shit.  :D

It's also cool that you have your climax in the beginning. Nice idea, and it works well.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: July 17 2003, 05:28

New file uploaded just now. I hope it's OK, I can't test it until tonight. Please tell me if this one is faulty.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 17 2003, 05:44

Seems like the problem is solved - nice one!
Profile PM 
Dawn
Unregistered

Posted: July 17 2003, 11:03

Not only the footsteps, but the female voice pads sounds like Amarok.
But it's great.
:p
oblique Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 17:24

Do us a favour and don't go to bed anymore.

I surely would want to hear more of your musical experiments.

As others already have said it may not be highly original.
But, man this is good!

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 17:37

Quote (jael @ July 22 2003, 23:24)
Do us a favour and don't go to bed anymore.

I surely would want to hear more of your musical experiments.

As others already have said it may not be highly original.
But, man this is good!

gotta agree...this is good...mate work on work on :))) more please

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 18:50

really worth the half an hour downloading.
it takes one from the first seconds. it's good that it starts strong catching the attention to slow down in the second part (after listening to it, i read again your own view of it and makes a lot of sense, i mean u get what u wanted to tell) and the third part is like u slowly went away of stage letting the listener with a good taste in the mouth :)
very rich and tidy.

u see... this is one of the reasons why the gaps between mike's albums can be not so bad as one's got more time to have a walk around here :D

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: July 22 2003, 22:49

Truly nice. Reminds me a lot of Incantations with the mix of synth and tribal sounds. Nice work! I look forward to more work from you!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 10:28

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging comments on Insomnia. I'll definitely post more tracks soon. Working on a couple of projects at the moment.
What I'd very much like, though, is criticism on the recording itself. What should I do different? I'm really a novice at digital multitrack recording, though I have worked a lot with Cakewalk to learn the program. Just bought a 24 bit soundcard, it'll sure improve sound quality considerably. Any comment is very welcome! Tell me the truth, I want to improve.
A word about originality: Insomnia is intentionally made as Oldfield-esque as possible, my own style isn't similar to Oldfield's at all. (I should perhaps say wasn't, I gave up on composing years ago — until Insomnia) The track was done exclusively for tubular.net.
Again, it made me very happy reading all your nice reviews. Thank you, thank you.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: July 23 2003, 12:05

A very expressive and enjoyable piece of music. For me, the first part reminds me of the great minimalist composers (Philip Glass, Terry Riley, Steve Reich and even David Bedford). I love the way the second part builds up - I can hear Orabidoo, Incantations 4 (Ode to Cynthia), Amarok and Tubular Bells part 2 (end guitar section prior to Sailor's Hornpipe) all as influences in this section. The final part (and my favourite) reminds me again of Ode to Cynthia and a little of Hergest Ridge too! That last minute is beautiful, too short and wonderfully soporific - a paradox for a piece called Insomnia!

If I had any criticism at all, it would simply be the few 'Amarokian' references (sound effects if you like) can detract from the beauty of the second part, although I can understand why they were used when conveying a picture to the listener. I was sort of disappointed when each part reached their conclusion as it would have been nice to explore the themes further and see if there was any mileage in more development. Oh well, I've been listening to it repeatedly for the last 35 minutes - I'll have to listen for a further 35 just to make sure  ;)

Cheers - I look forward to hearing more from you.

T4

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
14 replies since July 14 2003, 04:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net