Question: Influence of TB theme on horror movie themes :: Total Votes:37
Poll choices Votes Statistics
A huge influence 21  [56.76%]
A small influence 7  [18.92%]
No influence at all 9  [24.32%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Influence of TB theme on horror movie themes, How much influence did it have?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2004, 11:39

I just heard the "Halloween" theme yesterday (I think it is the first time). I think it is very strongly influenced by "Tubular Bells".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 18:12

The Halloween theme was one of the pieces I originally had in mind when I first started this topic - the movie being one of those that I referred to as "cheap horror movies". :) John Carpenter is a great director (IMHO) and also sometimes a great film composer, but in that occasion I think that his influence was very obvious. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 05:54

Lets not forget that William Friedkin only used Mike, because he hadn't yet come across Tangerine Dream.("Sorcerer 1977"etc)  Would Mike have been far better off, if William F had indeed used TDream for that film given the emotional distress that The Exorcist caused Mike?

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 08:09

It occurred to me that the use of a well-known comedic figure, John Cleese, on TB 2003, might have been seen as one way to "neutralize" some of the scary feel of the original TB...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 12 2011, 08:28

Well, Viv Stanshall was a comedic figure as well, even though his delivery wasn't particularly comedic. Honestly, I think Mike wanted John Cleese because, well, who the hell would not want to have John Cleese in his album? :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2012, 00:48

The TB influence from The Exorcist is lost on me but not on a great many others, and inasmuch as John Carpenter deemed it worthy of an homage, it's definitely hugely influential, considering his impact on the genre.

Spookily speaking, we might be about to get a bit of MO  on Radio 1.  It's Film Friday on Dev's show and he's said it's an appropriate choice for a Friday the 13th... :O

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 13 2012, 01:01

Got it in one!  It's on now!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 13 2012, 07:12

Here's the link to Dev's show's page for today and the iPlayer link therein.  The feature starts at 1:54:17, the excerpt at 1:59:36.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0194018#segments

As ever, my apologies to anyone not able to access the UK content or reading after seven days have elapsed.  I was able to record it to a DVD - if I figure out how to upload that before I leave here, you'll be the first to know.

And I would urge someone else to listen at least while they can.  It was a rather odd version that was played.  I didn't recognise it as the original, 1998 or 2003 or 2009 versions.  I've never had all of Boxed to hand but I've got my doubts it's that either.  It doesn't matter too much in the end.  As you'll hear from the reaction, a good time was had by all! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 19 2012, 06:08

I may have invented the internet, don't you know, but this is the first time I've ever used this sense of "bump" - on the occasion of the above link vanishing into the ether forevermore.  My seven days are nearly up and I honestly can't tell whether the clip has been listened to or not by any members who can reach the iPlayer.  I'm still in the dark.  I began to think it maybe was 2003, but it ain't.  It's the soft stabs that are getting me.  The people on Dev's show certainly seem to think they sourced it from a Virgin recording, but your correspondent remains perplexed...! ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2012, 04:53

Sorry Cav - I had a look last night but it wouldn't click on. Mike's name was still up on the list, but no longer in bold clickable print.  :/

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 21 2012, 11:37

Not to worry, Wiga - it's theoretically within my power to present it to you all one day... Not sure when my next holiday is but the DVD remains at another house for the moment.

Incidentally, I noticed another moment today; Radio 2's Pick of the Pops was on 1987 and 1977, crucially, where a certain track is still lurking around at no. 7.  Just used the iPlayer to check it out but I'll leave it everyone's initative this time... I'm issuing a Tony Blackburn alert, and he wasn't as enthusiastic!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
Branston P Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2012, 21:24

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Jan. 21 2012, 11:37)
Not to worry, Wiga - it's theoretically within my power to present it to you all one day... Not sure when my next holiday is but the DVD remains at another house for the moment.

Incidentally, I noticed another moment today; Radio 2's Pick of the Pops was on 1987 and 1977, crucially, where a certain track is still lurking around at no. 7.  Just used the iPlayer to check it out but I'll leave it everyone's initative this time... I'm issuing a Tony Blackburn alert, and he wasn't as enthusiastic!

Wull he whuz always a class A AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhole. Still is."Thur whuz a dung hill in thur middle o' thur yard" Used t' hear thait evry day on mah way t' skooool. on thur bus radio. Marnd ah rekons thur driver whuz deaf.
We all called him name's until whun day after he'd dropped us all off. He done had a heart attack an crashed thur ole, skooool bus in a hedge  shouting........" Where has Jimmy Young Gone " ?

--------------
http://soundcloud.com/dunlooser
Profile PM 
31 replies since May 20 2004, 18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net