Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incredible work, Mike!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheMan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 15 2002, 07:02

It is incredible that one single person can preduce such a varity of brilliant music! It is already amazing that a single composer and musicial can produce a so intense and subtile piece of work as Ommadawn. Or that a single person can create the mysteriously and lovely sounding Incantations, or the elegant catchy but heavy Crises (the title track). But to being able to do all of it, that is crazy...
And with TSODE he once again proved his unlimited potential as composer (despite some of the parts sounds very hastly produced). IMHO no Mike work has so much feeling and subtile ideas as this one. Mike often proves his genious in the details (which often are too subtile to be detectable for the music press and the 'experts';). This is very much true for TSODE. All these tiny interacting details  going on in the backgrounds of the masterpieces InTheBeginning, LetThereBeLight, OnlyTimeWillTell, Ascension, ... listen to the very elaborate and fine (but unspectacular) texture in the first minutes of Supernova, it sounds very simple but it is complex. Brilliant also to reuse these chords in the beginning of Ascension. In the 80's Mike had his peak as 'spectaculare guitarist', with perfect control in high speed and always with stand-out solo ideas. In the beginning of the 90's he clearly experimented with a more introvert and 'slower' guitar playing, evident many times in TBII, and peaking in TSODE. IMHO no MO guitar playing has reached higher expression level
than the very sensible playing in the first part of Ascension, closely followed by the playing in LetThereBeLight. Brilliant!
(Bt the way, there is much similar feeling in the guitar on PachaMama).

I also want to empasize OnlyTimeWillTell, which I consider to be among the most underestimated MO materials ever. The very transition to it (already mentioned by me in this forum) has an amazing ratio 'expression/simplicity'. Please think about this: would you, Dear Fan, ever (ever!;) think about such a simple transition, such a simple theme as these computerized beeps? Would you ever get the idea to let them go on the entire following piece? The very simplicity of it! It takes a genious to DARE doing this.

(To me this few second long transition describes the risky scientific transition of Live from earth to some distant planet, a project taking 1000s of years, described in the book by Clark. They stand for Computerized Life Sustain, and when the chords reappear 'on the other side' we know that the most risky part was successful. Now only time will tell if the very replanting of life will be successful). (Feel free to comment this Mike).

Although being a 'dye-hard'-fan loving rather much of Mike's production (like the collaboration with Pekka Pojola, Amarok, Boxed Hergest Ridge part I, the Taurus cycle, etc) I do not hesitate making the following statement: The TSODE pieces mentioned above are the very best ever, the MO All Time Masterpiece.

Just great Mike... and I was pleased to here the same kind of ambitious low-profile music in the brilliant NoMansLand and The ReturnToTheOrigin.

TheMan

ps. Please, Mike, forget the 'sax' on the next release.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: July 15 2002, 07:33

ps. Obviously I meant 'musician', not 'musicial'. (I always wrote too fst).
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: July 15 2002, 09:19

ps2: oh, god, ... 'die-hard' of course... Sorry.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 15 2002, 09:56

As a registered user, you can edit your posts if you want to - just use the 'edit' link at the top of the post.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2002, 04:14

Oh yes, TSODE! Just listening to Crystal Clear now. There is so much feeling in that huge Strat solo. Just wonderful. Also, Let There be Light and Tubular World are great. This is one of the albums of the decade, so much feeling in it while being a great one to chill-out too.

I have to admit that it took awhile to grow on me. I first listened to it in the car (never a good idea to first listen to a MO album in the car! ) and I really liked LTBL, although all the others sort of flowed together into a large musical nothingness. I first remember actually listening to it when on holiday in Busselton, a small town (or city) down south of Perth. Yes, I do remember Only Time will Tell: that BEEP BEEP BEEP wears into your brain after a while! Tubular World caught my attention because it's a really catchy tune (nothing to do with the rest of the album, or the book) that is pulled off really well. I then listened to Crystal Clear in the car again, and I found it quite good. As soon as I got home i put in on to listen to Crystal Clear again, but the power went out so I had to wait! Interesting history to an album that isn't immediatly a stand-out performance, but really grows on you. This is an electronic album (drum machines, synth overload) but you can't really tell because it is so well done, and perfectly combined with the amazing guitar work. This is his last real epic, a long piece with an other-worldly theme. Amazing.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
4 replies since July 15 2002, 07:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net