Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations Side 4 - Vibraphones, How does the piece work?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2007, 05:20

The Vibraphone part on Side 4 of Incantations has always been one of my favourite pieces by MO.  Watching the Exposed DVD though I can't relate what I see to what I can hear.  During the first run through the bass pattern there appear to be more vibraphone sounds than I can actually see playing.  Then suddenly this calms down for the 2nd run through with Pierre on his own.  I don't think it's an echo, and it's not because of the other Vibe players.  Is there a keyboard?  Was there a tape used on this section as with the Hiawatha african drums section?  Following Mikes initial guitar solo it returns, but I still can't equate the extra vibe musicians with what I can hear.  Any ideas anyone?
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2007, 04:58

I know, it is difficult to distinguish the 2 viraphone parts during the first measures (when there are 2 players). Nevertheless I think there is only one player during the part you mention and no tape, but the fact that he is hitting with both hands at high speed makes it sound like 2 parts
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2007, 13:25

you may well be right.  I tried to play it recently and got completely confused by the pattern of key changes for the main theme, which doesn't quite follow a 5th progression after all but has a couple of funny breaks in it.  Very odd.
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2007, 02:55

Good luck, I had it tabbed a couple of months ago and it resulted also in a pain in the back while constantly switching for hours between the keyboard and the slow downer application on the PC.
Nevertheless if you need more infos on this part i can give it (with respect to what I understood ...)
Profile PM 
hergestridge Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2009, 18:14

The flute solo in part 1 works as follows - it goes round the 'cycle of fifths' and alternates time-signature between 3/4 and 5/8. The result is this:

F#m 3/4
C#m 5/8
G#m 3/4
Ebm 5/8
Bbm 3/4
Fm 5/8
Cm 3/4
Gm 5/8
Dm 3/4
Am 5/8
Em 3/4
Bm 5/8

The guitar solo in part 4 works slightly differently. The harmony also goes round the cycle of fifths, but the time-signature pattern is different, and goes: 3/4, 5/8, 3/4, 4/8, 3/4, 5/8, 3/4, 5/8 (8 bars)

So the harmony goes through a 12-bar cycle while the time-signature goes through an 8-bar cycle. You therefore have to go through 2 cycles of the harmony (2x12=24) and 3 cycles of the time-signature pattern (3x8=24) before you get back to where you started.

This idea is a bit like the medieval constructional principle of isorhythm, where a rhythmic pattern (in Incantations the time-signature pattern) or talea is fitted to a series of pitches or color (in Incantations the cycle of harmony).

For those who are interested, my transcription of the whole of the flute solo from the end of part 1 can be found here.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2009, 16:08

wow HergestRidge that's amazing.  I play the flute but would have trouble with all those constant key signature changes, a great job though.  I'll have a go.
I think probably after all these years Incantations 1 and 4 are still my favourite pieces by Mr Oldfield.  
Yet when I met him a couple of times in 1980 (on the UK tour) I couldn't equate the quiet young chap I saw with the genius that composed this music.  Funny that.
Profile PM 
hergestridge Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2009, 10:47

There are also other patterns at work. If you look at variation 7 in the flute solo, you'll see that the rhythm is a 4/4 pattern overlaid on the alternating 3/4-5/8 pattern. (This rhythm actually starts 3 bars before the end of variation 6.) As a cycle of the 3/4-5/8 pattern adds up to 33 crotchets, the last bar of 4/4 has to be extended to 5/4 to make up the length (7x4 + 5=33), but there are 7 identical bars of 4/4 rhythm and the 5/4 bar follows the 4/4 rhythm for the first 3 1/2 beats.

My transcription of the guitar solo from part 4 can be found here.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2009, 16:15

Great stuff.  Although I can play this solo on guitar, it would take me along time to read this off the manuscript as I'm just not used to reading for guitar.
Profile PM 
hergestridge Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2009, 21:56

On the Exposed DVD there are 2 flute players who take a couple of bars each at a time. One is Terry, Mike's brother, and the other is Sebastian Bell, I think, who at the time was professor of flute at the Royal Academy of Music in London.

I've updated the PDF of the flute solo with a better quality one. The link is the same.
Profile PM 
8 replies since May 04 2007, 05:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net