Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations Remaster< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cort Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 06 2000, 14:01

If this question has already been asked and answered, please excuse me...I'm the new guy. I would like to know whether or not the complete version (the LP version) of Part Three is on the Remastered version of "Incantations".
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: July 07 2000, 07:07

Not all CD versions of Incantations have the shortened part 3. It was shortened on the first few issues due to early CDs being too short. The CD version which I have (not remastered) is a later issue with the complete part 3. I can see no reason why the remaster would have the shortened version.
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: July 07 2000, 10:44

I bought it online (www.fnac.com, but's it's a french online store, i don't know if they ship CD everywhere) and it includes full part 3. And IMO the remastered CD certainly includes it too.
Did anybody already hear this remastered version ? Is there something "more" ?

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 10 2004, 14:04

How much better is the remastered version, compared to the Caroline complete one I'm used to?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 10 2004, 16:02

I have the HDCD of Incantations. This is the only version that I own. I decided to buy it as firstly I'd know that it definately contained the full Part 3, and secondly I was told on its release that it was the remaster with the most noticeable difference. I think if there was only one HDCD remaster of Mike's to get it would be Incantations

There is still a high-pitched whine at the very beginning. I don't think there was much that engineers could do with that if it was on all original mixes. Other than that it does sound very clear.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 11 2004, 06:10

I was listening to the Incantations remaster this morning.  Part Two is a very nice way to start the day.

:)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 11 2004, 11:32

Quote (Jammer @ June 10 2004, 16:02)

There is still a high-pitched whine at the very beginning. I don't think there was much that engineers could do with that if it was on all original mixes. Other than that it does sound very clear.

You may also want to see the Whining thread where the high-pitched noise is discussed.

Elsewhere and years ago I had written:

“….I've never heard the high pitch sound running through Incantations.”

Ha! No…make that HA! Fatal last words... these days, I hear it all..... Well, not on the remasters at the moment...I accidentally ordered two copies and lent them out (I’m losing confidence that they ever will be again….if I lived to be 1000, would I ever learn not to lend  my favorite stuff??).

Now since I’m forced to listen to Inc-original, it’s there big-time and initially drives me crazy, but eventually I stop thinking about it.  The worst thing about my Inc-o is that Part IV is skipping in a couple of places near the beginning. <sobs>

At any rate, someday down the line, rather than doing TB900, it would be nice to do Inc without whining...update it, do something different with Part II......  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 11 2004, 11:40

Quote (Inkanta @ June 11 2004, 11:32)
update it, do something different with Part II

You know, IMO part two is just fine as is.  When I was a kid it was the only side that I really 'got'.  So what if the Hiawatha song goes on a bit, it's mellow and it's relaxing.  Much of Incantations is quite uptight sounding, side two is perfect for lazing around in the summertime.

If I had to cut a part of Incantations it'd be the vibes on part four.  I like them well enough for a few bars, but boy do they outstay their welcom in my eyes - by the time that section is over, I'm feeling quite irritable.  I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 11 2004, 14:10

I sort of agree with some of the reviewers from when Incantations came out who said that somewhere in there was a really good single album.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: June 11 2004, 15:05

Quote (familyjules @ June 11 2004, 11:40)

You know, IMO part two is just fine as is.  When I was a kid it was the only side that I really 'got'.  So what if the Hiawatha song goes on a bit, it's mellow and it's relaxing.  Much of Incantations is quite uptight sounding, side two is perfect for lazing around in the summertime.

I have to agree with you on the mellowness of it (tho guess what you call uptight I think of as energetic :) ), and that's what saves it for me. Even though I sometimes go a bit nuts over the stereotyping, I love the images of pristine nature that it conjures up. Especially at this very time of year here in the North. My vision of updating would be to have at least parts of it sung in either one of the Iroquois/Haudenosaunee languages, or Anishinaabegmowin--maybe something similar to what Douglas Spotted Eagle did in "First Contact" when he used counterpoint to set off a Gregorian Chant with a Hopi one.

If I had to cut a part of Incantations it'd be the vibes on part four.  I like them well enough for a few bars, but boy do they outstay their welcom in my eyes - by the time that section is over, I'm feeling quite irritable.  I dunno, maybe that's just me.

I love that section, the way that it builds. Maybe if you got ahold of some Zils to clang along it would help?? OK...now I'm just being silly. But that's my latest thing (the zils, not being silly, which is a long-term affliction).
:laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 12 2004, 13:24

Maybe the thing on the Hiawatha that hits me in a wrong way is the monotonousness of Maddy Prior's voice... not that it's her fault, mind you. Any singer who had to sing that thing would sound monotonous in the end, but to me, it's just a matter of letting the music slip by, and it works. Incantations must work on the back of my mind, not right in the front.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ecco Offline

Posted: July 02 2004, 23:47

The remaster of Incantations, in my opinion, is a rare instance in which the CD sounds better than Vinyl LP.
I think Mike got screwed again on the vinyl  as was the case with Hergest Ridge. (I do however, have a rare pressing of  Hergest Ridge that blows away  original Virgin LP's and certainly blows the CD out of the water.
Anyways...I  rate the Incantations CD very highly for a CD.

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
James
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 07 2004, 06:43

Lets say Incantations was released as a double album in 3 parts.Then it was announced some time later that part 4 exists and can be found somewhere obscure on the internet.Lets face it we would be off like Rabbits to find it.My point, its nice to have the entire thing whether or not some think parts go on a bit too long.
It has always occured to me what amazing value this work is particularly if it happens to be one of your favs.As it is such a spiritual deep listen for me atleast I won't attempt to put a monetary value on it he he! :) I still get the impression this is one of Mikes biggest and most ambitious studio projects.Looking at the pics from the time it was conceived in his Gloucester studio one can see a real work ethic ie instruments and mics everywhere.The look on his face of real creativity.Just recording that awsome choir on part one is a fete in itself.Incantations is a triumph in my book one that won't be equaled sadly.
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2004, 10:01

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 12 2004, 18:24)
it's just a matter of letting the music slip by, and it works. Incantations must work on the back of my mind, not right in the front.

I find exactly the same. I need a particular frame of mind in which to access it. I remember one occasion some years ago, sitting listening to it with all the lights off, warmed by a glowing, gently flickering open fire. And I didn't listen intently, note by note, but just let it wash over me. The vaguely shamanistic repetitive effect of the music seemed to stimulate remarkably vivid mental images (no, I wasn't asleep! ) and at the end the whole thing proved to be a highly memorable experience - in fact I've never forgotten it (and sadly, never been able to repeat it either).

Sorry - I know this is off topic, but it seemed the right place to respond.
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2004, 06:31

There is still a high-pitched whine at the very beginning.

For the first time in years, I listened to my Incantations LP only yesterday. Couldn't hear any whining at all. I guess this could be due to inferior frequency response of the all-analog equipment, though.

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2004, 19:10

Last night at our Samhain observation, I finally received back one of my Incantations remasters!! So...as I sit here (and keep getting up to dance) attending the Halloweeners, I am listening to Inc on the good stereo system (cos all the kiddies are out themselves trick or treating (((-:  ).

Oddly, I am not hearing the whining this evening. Could be the loud music I played on this morning's run have dulled my hearing, hopefully temporarily. On the other hand, I am hearing stuff in Incantations tonight that I've not heard before--at least I don't remember it. Good stuff. (-:

Now...not to tell tales out of circle, but I had lent this remaster to someone who was going to attempt to track down the source of the chant of part one/two. No, I can't continue. Let's just say that the source of the chant (other than from some pagans Mike had contacted) remains a mystery for now. But I have an idea of how to proceed......

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2004, 23:20

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ June 11 2004, 20:10)
I sort of agree with some of the reviewers from when Incantations came out who said that somewhere in there was a really good single album.

You know, people say that about every double album. I don't think Mike even thought in terms of single, double, triple or quadruple album when he made Incantations, he was just creating music, and it turned out to be too long for a single LP.
Profile PM 
16 replies since July 06 2000, 14:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net