Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2011, 16:14

Quote (starfish @ June 15 2011, 07:33)
Quote (larstangmark @ June 15 2011, 04:20)
I find it totally rahter pointless to hear the remixed sections out of their context.

I mean, I enjoyed the 'Ode to Cynthia' part on the Elements CD for years on its own before I got around to buying the Incantations album.

I used to love the Ommadawn and Incantations excerpt from "The Essential" too, but that was before I had heard the actual albums.
Once I'm familiar with a whole piece I think sections of the music sound more like outtakes, flashes of what could have been.

I was thinking about this today and I think Mike thought remixing the whole album was too much work and decided to remix only his favorite sections.

If Platinum ever gets the royal treatment I fear we'll have to settle for the re-mastered original album plus a 5.1 mix of Charleston. :-/

I'm a little frustrated because I was very happy with the previous deluxe editions/remixes.

BUT I agree with those who think the original mix it flawless. I wonder if it can be bettered?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 15 2011, 16:56

Quote (larstangmark @ June 15 2011, 21:14)
I was thinking about this today and I think Mike thought remixing the whole album was too much work and decided to remix only his favorite sections.

That makes sense. Remixing the whole of Incantations would be a BIG task, unless he was really in the mood to do it. If his heart wasn't in it though, and he was only doing it out of obligation to Universal it could take forever, and he might make some mistakes.

I assume these new releases are mainly about enhancing the quality of the sound.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 09:46

Quote (wiga @ June 15 2011, 21:56)
That makes sense. Remixing the whole of Incantations would be a BIG task

Actually remixing parts of the album seperately would a bigger hassle than remixing the album as a whole, then then releasing the excerpts seperately. Surely the whole album was remixed, and MO / Universal chose which excerpts to release.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 13:32

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 16 2011, 09:46)
Quote (wiga @ June 15 2011, 21:56)
That makes sense. Remixing the whole of Incantations would be a BIG task

Actually remixing parts of the album seperately would a bigger hassle than remixing the album as a whole, then then releasing the excerpts seperately. Surely the whole album was remixed, and MO / Universal chose which excerpts to release.

I'm not so sure about that. It's possible that the album was recorded in sections that were eventually merged or mixed down onto a new tape. If that's the case then the multi-track tapes consist of segments or/parts, possibly 15-20 separate 24-track tapes that has to be re-mixed separately before another mix-down has to be made from the new re-mixed segments. That would be a lot of work!
It does not make sense that Mike has re-mixed the whole album but that Universal vetoed the mix. Most potential customers look at the cover and based on the amount of new/unheard material decides wether to buy it or not.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 16 2011, 13:51

If it was back in the 70's I would agree wholeheartedly. However, in the 'Boxed' sleevenotes mention is made of how much easier mixing was since 3 years before for TB. It can only be that much easier now with digital equipment and software, as seen in the TB 2009 book.
It only my opinion, but the full album is not in surround because of space. Universal seem to be reissuing each sucessive album with less care. It will be interesting to see if Platinum, QE2 and FMO et al will get the Deluxe Edition treatment.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 17 2011, 04:22

After the initial four, the only album's I really want to see as a Deluxe version is FMO, Crises, and definitely Amarok!!!  Amarok is one of Mike's best albums!
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: June 17 2011, 05:21

Amazon.co.uk are showing the release date for Incantations as August 2, 2011

EDIT: They have changed it - "This item will be released on 25 July 2011" - as you were
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 17 2011, 15:14

Via Jose Manuel Guerra "Viper" this link to a video about Sús Camps, and his photo for the reedition of Inc

http://ib3noticies.com/2011061....ld.html
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 17 2011, 18:08

£12.99 for Deluxe at hmv.co.uk.
Incantations at HMV
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: June 18 2011, 18:52

promo already out lol ebay

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 18 2011, 19:35

Quote (Hifiguru @ June 18 2011, 18:52)

It makes me laugh when they start with those ridiculously low prices and then make up the balance with postage!
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: June 19 2011, 05:18

Quote (Hifiguru @ June 18 2011, 19:52)

Does this mean that it will be 'leaked' before the release date?  :D
Not that that would affect actual sales figures much I suppose.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 19 2011, 19:20

Yesterday the price for the promo on eBay was £ 0.01. There were 9 bids in the meantime and now it's £ 128. Apparently there is someone out there who does care about it. :D

@ Kiwwy: I don't think that a leak will happen - at least, not one sourced from the promo. The people who placed bids on that and made it rise to £ 128 are most probably all collectors - and collectors are interested just in getting the item. They're not interested in sharing its content with the Oldfield fan community - I'd say there's a strong chance that whoever gets to buy that promo won't even open it to play the CD. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nickko Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 06:40

I still have questions about this release ...
OK, mixing has made significant progress between 1973 and 1978, the need for new mix is perhaps less obvious for Incantations, I understand that only a few parts have had a particular treatment. The rarities are there, in part, I would have loved to find the soundtrack of Reflection, "Making Way" has its full place on such a dedicated disk. If "Lost Ommadawn" exists, there is no doubt that these tracks do exist ! Finally the mix in 5.1, why not put the Quadrophonic unreleased mix of Incantations, and allowed to double hit, a rarity and a surround mix !! Why Mike ? There were ways to make this disc a marvel, and iwe have a damp squib. We'll have to settle for Incantations in concert but it is already seen on DVD Exposed... Finally, someone has already said, I think we still lucky to have these out...
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 09:30

Quote (nickko @ June 20 2011, 11:40)
I still have questions about this release ... The rarities are there, in part, I would have loved to find the soundtrack of Reflection, "Making Way" has its full place on such a dedicated disk. If "Lost Ommadawn" exists, there is no doubt that these tracks do exist !

Apart from a few b-sides that's from a rarities point of view. The Reflections and Making Way omissions are very unfortunate. Both do exist I'm sure, but the fact they are not being included is a bad reflection (bad pun unintentional) of the attitude of Universal and / or Mike Oldfield.
Hopefully Universal have something planned for a dedicated rarities set down the line.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 10:29

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 20 2011, 09:30)
The Reflections and Making Way omissions are very unfortunate. Both do exist I'm sure, but the fact they are not being included is a bad reflection (bad pun unintentional) of the attitude of Universal and / or Mike Oldfield.

Universal and Oldfield have a bad attitude??!

I'm stunned by this remark.

We are getting lavish reissues of his old albums, which include new mixes, a DVD, and some rarities. And yet some people are still not satisfied. The mind boggles.

Universal do not owe us anything. In fact, I see them as being quite generous as far as these reissues go.

If people are unsatisfied with these releases, you have but one recourse: vote with your wallets and refuse to buy it!

Some people are so ungrateful!
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 10:52

Sorry, but the Re-Releases or Deluxe Editions are not gifts from Oldfield and Universal. They are commercial releases. It's quite ordinarily that an artist's fan-base wants everything to be released. It could be the last chance now. Or do you think there will be re-re-releases except for Tubular Bells in 10 or 20 years ? I don't think so.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 12:57

Quote (starfish @ June 20 2011, 15:29)
Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 20 2011, 09:30)
The Reflections and Making Way omissions are very unfortunate. Both do exist I'm sure, but the fact they are not being included is a bad reflection (bad pun unintentional) of the attitude of Universal and / or Mike Oldfield.

Universal and Oldfield have a bad attitude??!

I'm stunned by this remark.

We are getting lavish reissues of his old albums, which include new mixes, a DVD, and some rarities. And yet some people are still not satisfied. The mind boggles.

Universal do not owe us anything. In fact, I see them as being quite generous as far as these reissues go.

If people are unsatisfied with these releases, you have but one recourse: vote with your wallets and refuse to buy it!

Some people are so ungrateful!

Steady on ...
Anyone - including you - is entitled to a viewpoint. Universal are not a charity. I will be getting this release for the reasons I outlined earlier, but I think it's not unreasonable to expect more in the way of rarities, epecially given the regard Mike Oldfield fans have for this work, and the wealth of unreleased material that bridge that very intriguing 3 years between Ommadawn and Incantations. Remixed excerpts and a section of a presumably released DVD are not representative of a 'Deluxe' issue, and pale in comparison to the HR and Ommadawn reissues. This is a bad reflection of the attitude I was referring to - they could have pushed the boat out a bit more.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 13:11

About Reflections...maybe a copyright issue has prevented to let it be on Incantations Deluxe Edition.Just a guess.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 20 2011, 14:24

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 20 2011, 13:11)
About Reflections...maybe a copyright issue has prevented to let it be on Incantations Deluxe Edition.Just a guess.

Well Mercury doesn't own the rights, Virgin Records never did. It was different with Space Movie becuase Virgin put it out, that's why snippets turned up on the Elements DVD.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net