Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2011, 11:31

You kiddos are having a ball with this Incantations thing. Just gimme my Caroline CD issue of it(the best version ever) and my '78 double LP and I'm a happy camper.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 23 2011, 15:33

ok,
I'd like a trougham slad super deluxe version which comes with the original studio hardware, westlake monitors the lot. Not bad for about £7million ish!
http://www.mouseprice.com/propert....d-Manor
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 24 2011, 03:51

Quote (ingresman @ June 23 2011, 15:33)
ok,
I'd like a trougham slad super deluxe version which comes with the original studio hardware, westlake monitors the lot. Not bad for about £7million ish!
http://www.mouseprice.com/propert....d-Manor

That's the spirit!  :cool:
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 25 2011, 14:28

old and I'm sure we've all seen it but I love this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJL5GzpInQ&feature=related
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 25 2011, 15:17

@ ingresman: ah, that's where the flying TB idea for the "Introduction 2003" video came from. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 25 2011, 16:55

Nice find ! I haven't seen this since all those years  :)
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 27 2011, 18:05

VERY nice find!  Have never seen this ad. Wonder where it was unearthed from? Looks like a video conversion by the quality :p

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 27 2011, 19:19

For some reasons I really believed they started to use the TB logo for unrelated stuff only recently. I was completely wrong!

Funny to see the Incantations cover in motion.

Pretty bad ad, the audio samples are horrible, while as a whole it's wonderful. Using the TB logo is half baked marketing, they should use the audio too, the TB intro works great as a sample. They'd have been better off with just a voice over saying they cannot provide samples and risk lawsuits for hear injuries, you have to buy the whole thing.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 28 2011, 07:36

Indeed, ingresman, excellent ingress into the minds of seventies advertisers!

I've no doubt it is sourced from a video but I think that would be incidental should anyone be imagining we could find an HD quality original.  One of the things I've never formally investigated is why so many adverts of the past - specifically in the seventies and eighties -  have such appalling sound and visuals when they are shown today.  Every now and then, in the UK at least, we get a show about the top 50 or 100 adverts; or a compilation of spot-the-currently-famous-person-paying-the-bills-earlier-in-their-career moments.  You compare what you see to TV and films of the time and while the filmstock or the styles they use often look dated, on the whole there is no obvious degradation in overall quality.  On the other hand, the adverts typically have fuzzy sound and visuals that look as though the camera got stuck on soft focus.

For such short spots, advertisers generally have a far greater budget than in TV production.  Multiple takes, complex sets and glamorous locations clearly take a share of the dosh, but did they really skimp on the cameras?  Another theory is that compared to some broadcasters, advertising agencies were maybe not so careful when it came to archiving their achievements, and poorly transferred copies may be all that they have to remind them of their glory days.

Given that digital technology can restore, repare and recover lost details from old film, I also venture the less-likely postulation that for humorous effect, the makers of the ads-from-history shows can employ said technology in reverse to deliberately degrade them.  Nevertheless, if this Incantations promo does have original negatives or a film copy about somewhere, and someone was willing to put the effort in, we may see things a bit clearer.  "AVAILABLE ON VIRGIN RECORDS AND TAPE" and "...and all good record stores" is all I can make out!

Sounds like Patrick Allen, a genuine legend :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 28 2011, 08:00

Quote (Olivier @ June 27 2011, 19:19)
Using the TB logo is half baked marketing,

Unfortunately, TB and Consumption are inextricably linked, to some  :/
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 28 2011, 09:19

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ June 28 2011, 07:36)
One of the things I've never formally investigated is why so many adverts of the past - specifically in the seventies and eighties -  have such appalling sound and visuals when they are shown today....    You compare what you see to TV and films of the time and while the filmstock or the styles they use often look dated, on the whole there is no obvious degradation in overall quality.  On the other hand, the adverts typically have fuzzy sound and visuals that look as though the camera got stuck on soft focus...

Completely off-topic, but there are two main reasons.

1) TV ads are, by their very nature, ephemeral. They get shown for a month or so, and then are gone. In the 70s and 80s, film stock cost a lot of money, and could easily be reused.

So generally, once an ad campaign was finished, that film could then be recorded over and reused for the next wave of ads. Which is why the only copies we have are either second-generation copies or VHS home recordings, basically because the master tapes are now lost/wiped/over-written.

2) It may surprise you to learn, but old TV shows are in just as much a state of disrepair as old TV adverts. Many episodes of classic TV shows such as 'Doctor Who' and 'The Avengers' no longer exist at all! But because old TV shows can be exploited commercially on DVD and Blu-ray, there is money to be made in restoring classic TV to high quality.

Whereas not many people are going to be interested in buying a compilation of TV adverts, so it's not worth the expense of restoring them to a high standard.

Hope that helps!
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 28 2011, 11:04

Quote (starfish @ June 28 2011, 14:19)
Many episodes of classic TV shows such as 'Doctor Who' and 'The Avengers' no longer exist at all!

I can identify with that. I've collected the entire Avengers DVD series on DVD, and the difference between the videoed episodes recorded via kinescope, and the restored filmed episodes is huge. The first epidode was discovered in an American college archive, and only half of it at that .. If historically important shows were routinely wiped, adverts surely were. Archiving as a matter of course is only a recent phenomenon, unfortunately.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 28 2011, 16:19

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 28 2011, 11:04)
Archiving as a matter of course is only a recent phenomenon, unfortunately.

It's the same with video games. Fans of old games pretty much have to go the abandonware route because the industry dropped the ball so badly.
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 07:09

Any news about the release calendar? If the rhythm of releases goes on this way (one or two releases per year), we will have Platinum in summer 2012...QE2 and Crises in summer 2013...it feels like the impact dilutes with so much waiting with releases so far apart...
  This was supposed to be a "new wave" of releases...were they the waves on the cover of Incantations?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 08:38

No surprises on the Doctor Who front here, starfish - we're only off-topic inasmuch as Mike's a Trekker! :D

Thanks for the reveal about the plight of those poor cash-strapped advertising agencies!  Archiving, then as now, takes up space and resources.  My only continued surprise is that I'd assume that new clients would presumably wish to see showreels (or would be shown them regardless! ) to judge the quality of the work the advertisers provide.  Otherwise it might be:
"Did you ever see those talking giraffes advertising absinthe?"
"No."
"Oh... well that was one of ours... Quite good it was too.  The singing egg?  Not that either?"

Given Ugo has started a Six Degrees of Separation thread, we've unfortunately lost a Doctor Who to Incantations in one.  Nacho alerted us to the recent, sad passing of Ernest Mothle - drummer with Jabula when on Oldfield duty and bassist, I assume (long time since I've seen it), in Courtney Pine's quartet in part one of Silver Nemesis.  I think the quartet also provided the other snippets of jazz in the serial, including the pleasing juxtaposition of vibes being broadcast to an incomprehending fleet of Cyber-ships.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 08:54

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ June 29 2011, 08:38)
Given Ugo has started a Six Degrees of Separation thread, we've unfortunately lost a Doctor Who to Incantations in one.  Nacho alerted us to the recent, sad passing of Ernest Mothle - drummer with Jabula when on Oldfield duty and bassist, I assume (long time since I've seen it), in Courtney Pine's quartet in part one of Silver Nemesis.  I think the quartet also provided the other snippets of jazz in the serial, including the pleasing juxtaposition of vibes being broadcast to an incomprehending fleet of Cyber-ships.

And of course John Cleese (who was the master of ceremonies for TB2003) also appeared in Doctor Who, in the story 'City of Death'.

But I digress. Back to Incantations.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 29 2011, 09:55

I remember when I was looking at the "Mike in Oz" video the thought occurred to me that I could imagine Mike playing Dr Who (the Dr Who style of the last few years).
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 02 2011, 05:22

Although I am looking forward to the Incantations reissue, I would still like to know more about what new material Mike is making, I wish his website would be more informative about these things, his record label should really put more into updating his site more often.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 02 2011, 16:11

Mike's cd's are so damn hard to find in the States. Most if his albums are out of print, or ridiculously expensive. The version of "Incantations" that I have on cd was printed in 1985 and cost me a hundred dollars.

I guess I might buy the re-release too. See how well its been remastered.
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 02 2011, 23:59

Quote (GusFogle @ July 02 2011, 16:11)
Mike's cd's are so damn hard to find in the States. Most if his albums are out of print, or ridiculously expensive. The version of "Incantations" that I have on cd was printed in 1985 and cost me a hundred dollars.

I guess I might buy the re-release too. See how well its been remastered.

Where do you live? I have lived in Beverly Hills and currently reside in Nashville.  Mike's music is everywhere I go!  Every used CD store in Nashville has had out-of-print Singles and Albums.  Incantations is a regular rotation in most second hand shops.  In a small town outside of Nashville, in the middle of nowhere, I found a perfect copy of Mike Oldfield's Virgin Sampler CD(the one with the white cover and him leaning on a stool) for a mere 4 dollars.  In the states, it is best to buy off of Amazon.com!  They have the best prices and shipping rates.
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net