Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
theweightless Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2011, 01:19

Quote (starfish @ June 20 2011, 10:29)
If people are unsatisfied with these releases, you have but one recourse: vote with your wallets and refuse to buy it!

i have no intention of bying this stuff, or maybe someday when all these can be bought less than 5 euros a piece

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 05:28

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 16 2011, 14:46)
Quote (wiga @ June 15 2011, 21:56)
That makes sense. Remixing the whole of Incantations would be a BIG task

Actually remixing parts of the album seperately would a bigger hassle than remixing the album as a whole, then then releasing the excerpts seperately. Surely the whole album was remixed, and MO / Universal chose which excerpts to release.

... if you enjoy mixing or re-mixing.

I get the impression it's not one of Mike's main strengths - mixing. Like with any job there's apects you don't enjoy as much as others but you have to do it. I mean I love my job but my brain's not cut out for the admin side of things - and I put off doing that until I have to.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 07:37

To Pat Gleason ,
I totaly agree with you .
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 08:08

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 20 2011, 12:57)
Steady on ...
Anyone - including you - is entitled to a viewpoint. Universal are not a charity. I will be getting this release for the reasons I outlined earlier, but I think it's not unreasonable to expect more in the way of rarities, epecially given the regard Mike Oldfield fans have for this work, and the wealth of unreleased material that bridge that very intriguing 3 years between Ommadawn and Incantations. Remixed excerpts and a section of a presumably released DVD are not representative of a 'Deluxe' issue, and pale in comparison to the HR and Ommadawn reissues. This is a bad reflection of the attitude I was referring to - they could have pushed the boat out a bit more.

But, as I've said before on this thread, Incantations is twice the length of a standard MO album, but we're still only getting the same package of 2 CDs + DVD.

There simply isn't the space for any more extras and other gubbins because of the extended running-time of the original album.

Now, Universal could have given this package an extra disc, because I certainly agree there's a lot of other stuff in the vaults that could've potentially been included.

But just because Universal won't run to the cost of an additional disc doesn't (IMO) indicate any bad attitude on their part, as you seemed to suggest.

Let's face it, Mike Oldfield is no longer a huge draw in the record shops these days, and it seems to be just a small hardcore who are buying these re-issues. As such, I'm surprised and delighted by the effort that's going into these releases, all things considered.
Profile PM 
nickko Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 09:59

Obviously we're lucky to have these releases out! I  never said the opposite, and we feel that Universal has gone on the 2CD+DVD format no matter what happened, there is not much to criticize on this !
But the choices made for the three discs is somewhat disappointing,
Incantations in concert is a repetition that takes up space,
the quadrophonic mix of Incantations would have been great!
The rights for Reflection should not be expensive, nothing too heavy to purchase. Well done anyway and there is no doubt that it will be well done again.
Nobody talked about the track Desiderata, the only real rarity, a priori!
And I remember that Universal announced a few months ago a new wave of remixes, for me a wave it's not one album, I think Platinum will soon also have the honors!
For those who say that Oldfield doesn't make sales anymore,
he reached the eighth position on the charts with Music of the Spheres, but ok, the glorious time of the master is behind him...
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 10:01

Quote (starfish @ June 21 2011, 13:08)
Let's face it, Mike Oldfield is no longer a huge draw in the record shops these days, and it seems to be just a small hardcore who are buying these re-issues. As such, I'm surprised and delighted by the effort that's going into these releases, all things considered.

I never suggested MO / Universal had a bad attitude, I said the dearth of rarities reflected badly on their attitude towards releasing such material. There is a distinction there.
BTW, I'm with you on the point that it's good to see MO's catalogue getting reissued.
However, the effort falls well short of what would be expected of a Deluxe edition aimed at the small hardcore.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 15:17

Perhaps it's time for Universal/MO to publish rarities on Itunes (or something), get a bit of dosh in, not have to press physical product and we get access to the goodies.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 16:03

Quote (ingresman @ June 21 2011, 21:17)
Perhaps it's time for Universal/MO to publish rarities on Itunes [...]

iTunes?? No, thanks. iTunes = downloads = mp3s = pure shit. :D Sorry for the vulgarity, but I think I haven't downloaded a single note from the Net which is not from a lossless file (FLAC or WAV) for more than three years, now. I've come to absolutely detest mp3s and "digital" releases in general, so it really nags me when someone releases a single or a bonus track (or whatever) only on iTunes - which essentially means only as an mp3. I sort-of hated Mike O. and his record company/management when they did that ("Cook's Tune"), but then I sort-of forgave them as the piece is great. But I still cannot bear with the fact that not releasing it physically was an intentional move on their side. As someone stated in this thread, making CDs is not expensive at all for record companies - they do cost like peanuts. But companies are quick to realize that there's more market for digital releases than for physical ones, because the former stuff is very obviously less pricey than the latter. :) I sincerely hope that the people at Universal won't decide to pursue that road.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 17:43

The only fault I can find with these reissues is that it's not put on a blu-ray instead of a DVD. It would have better sound and picture quality and they could fit more music on there.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 20:37

Quote (imhotep @ June 21 2011, 17:43)
The only fault I can find with these reissues is that it's not put on a blu-ray instead of a DVD. It would have better sound and picture quality and they could fit more music on there.

I imagine they'll bring out UV-ray sooner or later, making blu-ray itself redundant... :laugh:
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 21 2011, 22:18

Quote (nightspore @ June 22 2011, 12:37)
I imagine they'll bring out UV-ray  :laugh:

Yes, But burning a copy would be painfull  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 22:23

Quote (Milamber @ June 21 2011, 22:18)
Quote (nightspore @ June 22 2011, 12:37)
I imagine they'll bring out UV-ray  :laugh:

Yes, But burning a copy would be painfull  :laugh:

Think of the tan, though  :cool:
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 21 2011, 22:33

Only Amarok wouldn't leave tan lines  :p

B.O.T (Back on Topic) Just added the deluxe cd to my order as I have no turntable ATM .
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 00:55

Quote (Ugo @ June 21 2011, 16:03)
mp3s = pure shit. :D Sorry for the vulgarity, but I think I haven't downloaded a single note from the Net which is not from a lossless file (FLAC or WAV) for more than three years, now.

my thoughts exactly, i just can't get it why won't they release stuff in flac, i'd be happy to buy single tracks if it would be somekind lossless format

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 05:01

I once decoded Incantations as mp3 files to use in my player, and I really couldn't tell the difference soundquality-wise from the original.

One thing I really hate is when record companies don't offer digital downloads. I don't buy records anymore unless there's something really special.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 07:43

I rip all of my CDs onto iTunes at 320kbs AAC format (which is higher quality than 320kbs mp3). Works well for me.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 08:29

Quote (Syd B @ June 22 2011, 07:43)
I rip all of my CDs onto iTunes at 320kbs AAC format (which is higher quality than 320kbs mp3). Works well for me.

Of course it works ! I would prefere digital/download rarities - better than nothing or lukewarm deluxe editions with capacity restrictions.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 10:30

Quote (stpaul @ June 22 2011, 14:29)
Quote (Syd B @ June 22 2011, 07:43)

Of course it works ! I would prefere digital/download rarities - better than nothing or lukewarm deluxe editions with capacity restrictions.

Try to listen to a mp3 file (even 320kbs) on a very good hi-fi system and you will understand why Ugo is right!

MP3 is good to listen music in a car, on a phone or Ipod, but not in a hi-fi system....sorry

;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 15:06

Quote (yanouch65 @ June 22 2011, 15:30)
MP3 is good to listen music in a car, on a phone or Ipod, but not in a hi-fi system....sorry

;)

'Nuff said!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 16:38

And we true Analogue lovers (or crazies, pick one), who despise all digital, listen only to Vinyl, Quarter or Half Tracks.

That's the way to go! ;)

And that's why I ordered Incantaion on Vinyl. (and I do realize it's been digitally remastered)
I would love to see all the Deluxe editions on Vinyl too though, except the video part. :p
Big box of 4-6 LPs printed in Japan. And not with one or two or three, but SIX OBI Srips! :D
Just so you can replace them when you break them accidentally.

Hmm come to think of it a special Tape edition would be great too. One reel of remastered/remixed score, second a direct copy of the original master and third with bonuses.
You maybe wonder why so much reels when you can most probably put everything on one. Well not if it is half track and 15ips! :D (30 would be too much I guess)
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net