Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2011, 18:34

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 01 2011, 19:51)
The 12.12 incident on Hergest Ridge was a heart sink..

I think Mike is out of touch with his fans. He lives in a bubble on a paradise island with no connection to real people.

The 12:12 "incident" was no incident at all as it was a deliberate choice by Mike. And I do like it.

Also, Mike was never in touch with his fans, at least not through his music. He never made music that his fans were supposed to like, he always made music he liked. If no-one told him that he had to do songs in order to become popular and to "be broadcast over the radio", he'd never have done songs at all - he'd never have done Five Miles Out or any of the albums containing vocal songs. I don't think he's ever cared about what his fans think of his music. Especially now that he looks like he's semi-retired. :D

@ doctorlard: it's useless to keep bitching with Universal about the glitches. It's not them who caused the glitches. Other people are to blame. But unfortunately nobody of us is in the position to do a damn fucking thing about or to or with these other people. And it's also useless to say "I won't buy anything ever again from Universal" because they don't care a flying dick about how many people buy or don't buy from them. They're one of the three biggest record companies in the world and they're very well aware of that.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
doctorlard Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2011, 21:53

@ doctorlard: it's useless to keep bitching with Universal about the glitches. It's not them who caused the glitches. Other people are to blame. But unfortunately nobody of us is in the position to do a damn fucking thing about or to or with these other people. And it's also useless to say "I won't buy anything ever again from Universal" because they don't care a flying dick about how many people buy or don't buy from them. They're one of the three biggest record companies in the world and they're very well aware of that.

First of all it's not useless, clearly, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered attempting to fix it at all. Secondly, it's UMG that takes our money, so they are ultimately responsible for the final quality of the product. In terms of quality assurance (or what passes for it at UMG), it is not our concern whether the actual error was Universal's or their sub-contracted mastering studio. They cannot claim "it's not our fault" when they are stamping and flogging the plastic discs.

Unfortunately the only thing we can do with large companies is make them aware of the poor quality, and demand they do something about it. If that is not sufficient (I believe they have not sufficiently addressed the issue in this case) the only thing left is to demand your money back.

If UMG will not correctly fix up this simple mastering error, then they do not deserve my money. If everyone on this forum acted and demanded their money back, that would send a large signal to UMG to do something about their QA. Instead, what will actually happen is that most people won't care enough, and won't do anything, and UMG will go about their business of ripping off artists with shit royalty deals and copyright assignment, and consumers with shit CDs.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2011, 00:21

The same bad glitches happened to Doctor Who Series 5 and I believe to Series 4 Specials double disc.  Silva Screen never offered to fix the problem, but fully acknowledged the cock-up.  And the Doctor Who forums said they would offer a repaired file soon, but they never posted an update.  Since this problem with UMG I'm quite aware of how to handle this issue with other Record Companies.  I never received my replacement CD and so UMG is sending me another disc.  I do hope this one will arrive this side of 2012!
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2011, 01:32

I played the remixed Hergest Ridge only a handful of times because of 12.12 - and will stick to the original version in future. I became disillusioned with remasters at that point.
said Wiga...yesterday sometime.

... but I'd no need to be (disillusioned). :D

Mike did not let me down, and the bass on "Diana" more than made up for the 12.12 drowned out bass.    :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2011, 08:24

We are the loyal fans but Mike dosnt care and we shouldnt be suprised .
Most artist of his stature dont care about the quality control of their music or product as its now known , apart from it being out there and the money comes in .
Small artist who meet their fans at gigs and have good comunication do care and would a least be intrested if their fans wernt satisfied .

Funny how the remasters on the Evil Virgin lable didnt have any problems and sounded good !
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2011, 11:47

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 21 2011, 05:24)
If you search Mike Oldfield on twitter,I've seen recently two users saying that they were supposed to interview him - one is for Record Collector,the other for a US music website (!!!!;) called The Quietus.

I can't imagine I threw off many of you in speculating that the Record Collector issue would be in September, but it made it into the shops a couple of weeks ago and I've not noticed any reference to it yet.   Scanning not an option even if I buy it, but the opportune arrival of a text whilst in Tesco gave me the idea to photo it last week - mwah ha ha!

Subsequently found the review available on the website, on the front page sometimes, but here all the time for the moment:
http://www.recordcollectormag.com/reviews/review-detail/7453

A mini interview and a rather unflattering picture complete the package.  My angled, blurry snap is almost an improvement but not worth sharing.  But am I evil enough to transcribe the rest?

Q & A  Mike Oldfield

Were the master tapes all present and correct for your new mixes?
Virgin got bought by EMI and the tapes were moved around, so we never got all the bits together.  There are one or two missing multi-tracks, and one in particular - I think it's the beginning of Side 2 - we could never find that bit.  Then again, we found some outtakes and a couple of tracks - the Pipe Tune and Piano Improvisation - that I had completely forgotten about.  I think those missing master tapes will be lost forever.

The original album has a minimalist pulse.  Was that intentional?
I didn't have any intentions at the beginning.  I wanted to try to do my own string arrangements and had this idea to make it about incantations.  I just had this word in my head.  With the help of my record company, I tracked down anybody I thought was likely to give me incantations like the druids.  A cheap druid turned up at my house and spent the day with me, as well as other people.  One researcher at Virgin was very helpful and sent me lots of material.  I just ended up with what I ended up with, really.

What do you think of the LP today?
There are wonderful seeds of ideas there, but I was going through a transition in my life.  It was the end of the good times with Virgin.  Really, we split up after that album - me and Virgin - though I carried on as, contractually, I had to make about another 11 albums!

How did the track Hiawatha come about?
I had this fantastic tune and harmonies, but didn't know what the hell to do with it.  I tried putting guitar with it and various other instruments... And through all my research forIncantations I came across Longfellow's poem and realised that the meter of the poem fitted my tune perfectly.  I then had to find the right singer, and knew Steeleye Span.  Maddy Prior came in and did it in a very deadpan way, which seemed to approximate the mood of the whole thing, becoming Hiawatha.  It took months and months of me pulling my hair out and thinking, "What shall I do with this tune?"    As told to Ian Shirley

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2011, 15:44

I've just managed to get myself a copy and I have to say that I am really enjoying listening to Incantations again, the polished version.  It's an album I have always really loved but never listen to enough these days.  

When the album was released first time around I was a bit obsessed with it I confess, and maybe listening again takes me back to that 'pure' time when I was able to indulge myself  in music for long periods of time.  Things are different now for me in terms of free time and although I can easily become as bewitched with music, I have always got that feeling that I could get interrupted at any moment or that I really should be doing something else.

I like the image very much & the double gate fold cover...but it's durability is doubtful...perhaps they are thinking of the environment here, reducing the plastic casing to a minimum.

I'm still on the first run through but I am thoroughly immersed in it, so, I'm happy it has been released again with all the extras ( but yes, agreed with those who comment on the desire for new material, it would be so very nice! Patience is a virtue however, & I don't think Mike has stopped searching for or making new sounds, it's a big part of who he is, it's just that now he can [and should] take his time and let it happen naturally. Anything forced against it's will has a dishonesty about it somehow;  I'm all for the 'laissez faire' approach and I am content to wait.  For another masterpiece, naturally!  )

Interestingly I noticed the inclusion of Desiderata in the last track on Disc 2.  A bit Stephen Hawkins. It kind of works and I love the bit about the universe expanding as it should be whether you understand it clearly or not...how very true that is...just go with it all and all will be well...hard sometimes to keep this attitude but I am working at it and it seems to be taking effect at some deep level inside me.

here ;)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2011, 18:18

Quote (bee @ Sep. 02 2011, 21:44)
It kind of works and I love the bit about the universe expanding as it should be whether you understand it clearly or not...

Well, Max Ehrmann wrote that in 1927, when the theories about the Big Bang and the ever-expanding universe had not been launched yet (at least I think so). And anyway he wrote "...the universe is unfolding as it should". I always took "unfolding" to mean "taking its course", It's clearly an universal truth (forgive me for the bad pun! :D) which, of course, Ehrmann was clever enough to put in a poem which is all about universal truths and, as someone called it once, "advice for a happy life". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 08:58

Got my replacement CD and Vinyl now.  It all sounds great - glitch free as far as I'm concerned - and the music is simply brilliant.... an absolutely wonderful masterpiece.  

Hey Ho Lets Go!

:)  :)  :)  :)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 09:41

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 02 2011, 18:18)
Quote (bee @ Sep. 02 2011, 21:44)
It kind of works and I love the bit about the universe expanding as it should be whether you understand it clearly or not...

Well, Max Ehrmann wrote that in 1927, when the theories about the Big Bang and the ever-expanding universe had not been launched yet (at least I think so). And anyway he wrote "...the universe is unfolding as it should". I always took "unfolding" to mean "taking its course", It's clearly an universal truth (forgive me for the bad pun! :D) which, of course, Ehrmann was clever enough to put in a poem which is all about universal truths and, as someone called it once, "advice for a happy life". :)

@ Ugo :: just shows how an ordinary, everyday non-scientific person such as myself has absorbed the current theory of the universe expanding idea without being consciously aware   :/

It could also show a prophetic quality to Max Ehrmann's thoughts, back in the 1920's.

'Unfolding' could be interpreted as a kind of expansion in a sense...or a revealing or disclosing of something, and that is exactly what seems to happen as we walk through life; we gradually understand more and realise how little we actually know ( or perhaps I mean that we understand there is so much more we need to learn about )  

Where this little piece, Desiderata, is successful, is in it's concision, I think.

Edit: to correct spelling!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 15:15

No glitch on mine.

I got the Deluxe - found a HMV store 20 miles away stocking it and drove home listening to it. WOW!

The production is perfect, infact the whole double album is as clear as a bell - really beautiful production. I was bowled over and in tears by the back end of side four. And "Guilty" is great actually - with the Wah Wah 80s bass. Very Mike. :D

Disc 2 is like a brand new album - the remix part of Incantations. The highlight for me is "Diana" (track 1) - and that fabulous up front bass guitar coming in, and also the "Diana" (track 11) with the Kraftwork sounding voice over. Who was he?

All beautifully made. :D

REALLY beautifully made. :cool:

I'm very impressed. :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2011, 16:12

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 03 2011, 20:15)
Who was he?

I'd like to know that too. The voice synthesizer sounds similar to Stephen Hawking's, but the voice itself is different.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 03:11

This....

"and that fabulous up front bass guitar coming in"

Shame there wasnt more of that......love the bass when its played in this manner....gives me a real buzz.

Still perservering with the now confirmed drum machine though...Im sure I will grow to like it....eventually :-)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 03:45

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Sep. 03 2011, 21:12)
Quote (wiga @ Sep. 03 2011, 20:15)
Who was he?

I'd like to know that too. The voice synthesizer sounds similar to Stephen Hawking's, but the voice itself is different.

The accent sounds Scandinavian - or maybe the synthesizer makes it sound that way.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 04:03

This ... ;)

"Still perservering with the now confirmed drum machine though...Im sure I will grow to like it....eventually :-)"

Well I admit I'm in idealised mode right now and cannot hear anything out of place on "Diana". There appears to be good balance of drum and bass ... on my speakers. I'm hearing the drums driving the pace in a relatively controlled manner alongside the bass, and the bass remaining autonomous...

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2011, 17:06

So there are glitch free versions? Should I contact the retailer or Universal?
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 12:55

"So there are glitch free versions? Should I contact the retailer or Universal?"

DEPENDS what you call a glitch....
Some people are happy with the botched repair....
Other (Myself included) are definitely NOT !!!......

as far as I know there is not a 3rd version with a correct repair...Just the 2nd "Out of time sloppy" repair...
Depends what you can put up with ........

Im just really gutted that the vinyl version is "****ed" as far as Im concerned....I can repair the digital CD version myself..
BUT the vinyl ....NO....
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 16:59

Quote (imhotep @ Sep. 04 2011, 22:06)
So there are glitch free versions?

Well I checked out 12.37 - 12.41 quite carefully when I got the Deluxe on Saturday. Sounded OK. No jump or missed note.

--------------
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2011, 17:45

The single disc edition contains the amended version here in Spain yet; but the cd is now also blue, as the Deluxe Edition cd, so the orange faulty disc is now a real rarity.  :)
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2011, 13:37

what is a rarity is a "fault-less" version of Incantations on Cd OR
vinyl !!!!
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net