Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
equinoxe Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 13:08

Quote (Highlander @ Aug. 22 2011, 12:05)
Now then, what about the glitch on Ommadawn. The change at 11:57 sounds like a slip of the mixing slider - definitely not a tape splice. Were the monkeys playing frisbee and knocked the control desk ?

I noticed this, right when listening this new mix for the very first time. This actually IS a slip of the mixing slider, to take a volume down, and for sure this is done for purpose. In the original version, the sudden flute part is a little louder in relation to the rest of the overall volume. When listen to Ommadawn with my headphones really loud, i always preparing for that part, and very often take the volume down, because this always was slighty uncomfortable to listen to. I think the 2010 mix was done in a good way, to keep the volume at an equal level.
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 15:33

Quote (Highlander @ Aug. 22 2011, 19:05)
Now then, what about the glitch on Ommadawn. The change at 11:57 sounds like a slip of the mixing slider - definitely not a tape splice. Were the monkeys playing frisbee and knocked the control desk ?

Ommadawn "glitch"... I presume it is the new 2010 mix you're referring to? (Just listened to that bit and I kind of see what you mean.)

I hadn't even noticed anything "glitchy" there earlier, to be honest. It sounds a bit weird, yes, but then again where do we draw the line when defining "glitch" - in some respects, the whole 2010 mix sounds like a whacking big glitch to me!

(Now don't get me wrong, it feels mainly only so because I'm so familiar with the old version - I do have the DL edition but must admit I rarely seem to end up listening to the "new mix". It's an interesting journey into the material from a slightly different angle, and I'm glad it's available... but it doesn't feel like "home". Silly but there you are! )

My main point is, when it comes to the Incantations glitches they both are obvious technical errors (a section missing / badly timed edit point) whereas, at least to my ears, the Ommadawn example you mentioned just might be the way it was mixed, in other words, the way the new mix was intended to be. Of course we can't know that... but surely that is not the case with the current errors in Incantations...

It's apples and oranges really innit, from that perspective... and perhaps you do sort of agree with all of the above already, just thought I'd bring up the essential difference in these "glitches"...!
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 17:32

All good observations. I loved the remix of Ommadawn right up until this point - but somehow after that, there were other parts that didn't sound right that I do not believe MO would have sanctioned - the finale of part 1 at 16:55 hasn't got the punch I thought it might have and the final melody on gloc is almost lost now. I really enjoy the extras on the deluxe set, but to hear Ommadawn 'properly' I go back to the HDCD version, even though this remix started off better (or at least clearer and brighter). The way it started off got me buzzing, but then it was a major letdown, but hey, nothing lost, I've still got the other versions I prefer. But I just can't believe the new remix version was listened to by MO - I think that is probably what a few of us feel and what annoys us.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2011, 21:24

If I remember correctly, Fanny did state that Mike was having a field day going over the Incantations tapes.  So, this leads me to believe that Mike did have a hand in the final mix.  Even UMG stated Mike had a hand in fixing the glitch.  Though, I tend to doubt their claim.  The original jump at 12:37 reminds me of when there is not enough storage space on a hard drive and someone prints an audio cd online to have jumping points where the recording drive jumped to catch up with the audio being burned.  I've had it happen to me.  Thank Apple for iPod's and digital music... no more dealing with printing and wasting CD's and DVD's!  Though, I did buy a record player today :)  Vinyl still has it down right... snap, crackle, and pop! :)
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 05:48

Quote (Highlander @ Aug. 22 2011, 17:32)
I loved the remix of Ommadawn right up until this point  But I just can't believe the new remix version was listened to by MO -

It was DONE by HIM!!!
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 06:44

Quote (alejandra @ Aug. 23 2011, 05:48)
Quote (Highlander @ Aug. 22 2011, 17:32)
I loved the remix of Ommadawn right up until this point  But I just can't believe the new remix version was listened to by MO -

It was DONE by HIM!!!

I just don't believe it was. I think MO was heavily involved with the extras and going through the tapes, digging up stuff, which is the bit he had fun with - but I reckon the remix has been left to the engineer.
Just my humble opinion.

Having said that - I think he certainly DID remix HR.
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 06:50

Then.
-we have been lied to about the new editions of TB, HR and O, they were not remastered in Bahamas and the "Bahamas mixes" are inventions from the record company.
-although he has recently said that he is mixing North Star from Platinum, he is not really doing so, it is just a marketing trick from the company.
-Everything that has been done right has been done by MO, all that represents a problem (glitches, badly received mixes...) has been done by somebody else, not by the flawless artist, incapable of mistakes.
  OF COURSE
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 07:25

As I said, just my humble opinion.
However, I think it would be interesting to have people compare the finale part 1 of Ommadawn from about 15 minutes onwards of any version against the new remix, particularly the 'wow' factor at 16:55, which I feel is completely lost in the new version. If very few people prefer the new version at this point, then I wonder why MO would ?
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 07:34

I agree with you, I prefer the old version at that point in the recording, but then, you can find this sort of "whim" all over the new versions:
-why would he prefer to add that disagreeable out of tempo mandolin, dobro or whatever it is in one of the most beautifuk parts of HR? Why did he shorten (butcher) some of the other most beautiful parts?
-Why did he take out the "flanger" effect from the Dies Irae part of TB?
  Maybe it is the Bahamas atmosphere
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 07:47

Quote (alejandra @ Aug. 23 2011, 07:34)

:) - Maybe.
Fair point re: HR. I get the impression you felt let down on HR the way I did on Ommadawn, but I still really enjoy some of the extras.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 08:35

-why would he prefer to add that disagreeable out of tempo mandolin, dobro or whatever it is in one of the most beautifuk parts of HR? Why did he shorten (butcher) some of the other most beautiful parts?

I totally agree! I couldn't believe it when that jangling came in and then stayed in over the top of what used to be quite a serene section. It's utterly ruined it for me :(
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 12:20

Which part do you mean ?
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 12:34

It is the part that has been re-titled "Basses" in the 2003 re-recording (approx. 7 minutes into part 1). I always thought that theme is a version of the Dies Irae melody used by so many classical composers.
  It had a studio effect in the original which he eliminated in the new Bahamas mix.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 13:04

He couldn't "take off" this effect, as it's used on the one of the sounds and stored as one track and it's imposible to de-flange it. It's there but more down in the mix. There is a possibility, he use other (demo?) track instead of the original or slightly lowered it in the mix. And i think the second option is actually right, as "flange" effect is slightly audible...That's my thoughts...
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 16:07

I hear no effect on the new version, personally, and he could have kept the original track without the effect. But we're only guessing, anyway.
  Whatever the process he used, he changed the sound considerably.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 17:13

Anybody else STILL waiting for delivery ??  :(
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 19:40

Yeah my signed vinyls went missing in post & not received replacement cds yet

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 02:01

By the way, today is Wednesday here in The Netherlands... Has anyone heard of UMG about their actions on the second glitch yet?
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 03:08

Got my cd replacement a week ago. Yesterday the postman delivered the vinyl replacement straight to my front door! Good service this time. I am pleased.
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 04:27

Quote (Milamber @ Aug. 23 2011, 17:13)
Anybody else STILL waiting for delivery ??  :(

Still waiting for my replacement CD, and I live in the UK.

I've emailed Universal five times (three to the mk.customerservices@ address and two to support@) and not received a reply or replacement. It's so frustrating.

I'm hoping that the delay is due to a newer version being pressed up to eliminate all previous glitches, but probably unlikely.
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net