Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pauken Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 06:02

I have just received this from the MK Customer Services address regarding the faulty CD repress:

I have received the following statement from the label regarding the replacements you have received:

After receiving your email, our catalogue and remastering team have listened again to the new version of Incantations and remain satisfied with the work that was done to correct the edit. This has been borne out by the very high percentage of positive feedback from those who have received the replacement disc. Thank you very much for your continued interest in Mike Oldfield's catalogue.

Kind Regards,
Jon Moyes
Customer Services Manager

I have also received an IDENTICAL response from the support@universal-music.co.uk address regarding the vinyl versions.

After receiving your email, our catalogue and remastering team have listened again to the new version of Incantations and remain satisfied with the work that was done to correct the edit. This has been borne out by the very high percentage of positive feedback from those who have received the replacement disc. Thank you very much for your continued interest in Mike Oldfield's catalogue.

Kinds Regards

Robin Thompson

So they are not interested in fixing the second error it would seem and they claim not to be able to even hear the problem. I don't know exactly where this high percentage of positive feedback has come from but this has become a farce.

Extremely unhappy with this response. It needs to be made clear to them that this second disk is NOT fixed!! Get writing people!!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 06:10

I think we can safely say that they've washed their hands of the problem and have decided they're not going to throw any more money at it.  You can bet that they know all too well that the fix isn't a very good one though...   :(

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
CH23 Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 06:16

Just got the same response:

“After receiving your email, our catalogue and remastering team have listened again to the new version of Incantations and remain satisfied with the work that was done to correct the edit. This has been borne out by the very high percentage of positive feedback from those who have received the replacement disc.

Thank you very much for your continued interest in Mike Oldfield's catalogue.

Kind regards
Robin Thompson”

It seems to me that their remastering team are cloth-eared nincompoops.

I also don't believe they've had such a high percentage of positive feedback...

I really hope their next remaster is a proper one, or else i'm out.

EDIT: i've send them an e-mail again:

I can't believe this, i've paid 50 euros for a faulty record, i want my money back.

I can't really enjoy this record, i'll probably never even play it :(
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 06:43

Got the same answer just now. What a lark eh!

Here's what I wrote back.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your message. Well. I still maintain it's a badly made edit, since the timing or "beat" is obviously wrong at 12:40 of part 4 in the replacement version. You probably know it is a badly made edit too, but I guess the majority's voice and what the catalogue & remastering team decides is what eventually counts.

Apart from the 12:40 edit error, I love the work done with the new Incantations remastering. It's a bit sad that the error which I'm sure many others than me have also pointed out to the record company, now apparently will remain unfixed.

However, if the catalogue and remastering team are now "satisfied" with the issue, I must say this puts their technical and musical expertise (and more precisely their hearing) into a rather interesting light...

Sincerely,

Well at least we tried! :/
Profile PM 
doctorlard Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 06:45

If that's their attitude, then they don't deserve another cent.
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 06:47

Quote (neil-h @ Aug. 24 2011, 11:27)
I'm hoping that the delay is due to a newer version being pressed up to eliminate all previous glitches, but probably unlikely.

That's what I was hoping, too - but alas it was not to be.

Hope you'll at least get the replacement copy; if it's any consolation the "new" glitch is not quite as noticeable as the first one. But it is there.

Apparently, the engineers and the production team are "satisfied" so that must mean they can't even hear it, which is very alarming indeed. Oh dear.
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 07:03

Frankly, I don't care if the new glitch is less noticeable than the first one!! This is a PREMIUM or DELUXE product that we have paid a lot of money for and it's FAULTY!

They just don't want to spend even more money fixing a problem that they thought they'd already fixed once but if we go soft on them now, they'll get away with it and we can all be prepared for the next releases to be even more broken and even less chance of getting them fixed.

Come on people, use your voices and tell Universal Music that you're not happy about it, don't just roll over and say "oh well, never mind"...
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 07:16

Quote (pauken @ Aug. 24 2011, 14:03)
Frankly, I don't care if the new glitch is less noticeable than the first one!! This is a PREMIUM or DELUXE product that we have paid a lot of money for and it's FAULTY!

I quite agree, I merely pointed out that this is the case (i.e. it is less obvious, but still there). The #2 glitch and especially the UMG attitude buggers me too!

And yes, I've sent them email already as you may see from my earlier post - and join you in urging others to do the same.

Although I must say I doubt if that has any effect on the matter anymore. Be as it might, I for one refuse to agree that the edit or their handling of this issue in general has been "satisfactory".
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 07:41

Quote (Sammy @ Aug. 24 2011, 07:16)
Quote (pauken @ Aug. 24 2011, 14:03)

I quite agree, I merely pointed out that this is the case (i.e. it is less obvious, but still there). The #2 glitch and especially the UMG attitude buggers me too!

And yes, I've sent them email already as you may see from my earlier post - and join you in urging others to do the same.

Although I must say I doubt if that has any effect on the matter anymore. Be as it might, I for one refuse to agree that the edit or their handling of this issue in general has been "satisfactory".

Oh yes, sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was hassling you I just went in to rant mode and yours was the last email I saw :)

I have now sent quite a cranky email to Universal Music in reply to theirs and also CCed everyone I could find at that company along with the Audio Archiving Company, Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering and one or two others. I've also contacted some separately and asked them for comment about this situation. Don't know whether I'll get a response but if you don't ask, you don't get...
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 08:41

I've sent this:

Hi Jon,

I received my replacement cd - thank you for that.

However, the quality of the fix is not of the standard I would expect of a professional music company. It appears that no pride or care has been taken with this 'fix' which is a poor reflection of the company.

I have heard a 'perfect' fix done by an enthusiastic amateur which proves this point.

Like many others, I had expected better treatment by yourselves of this classic piece of music.

Word travels very fast, far and wide via the internet these days and this is doing a lot of damage to future sales of this and other Mike Oldfield re-releases.

Rgds,
Brian.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:26 PM
To: Brian Gallacher
Cc: MK Customer Services
Subject: RE: Incantations CD replacement

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your email.

We are just waiting to receive the replacement copies of the new master.  As soon as these are received I will arrange for a copy to be sent to you.

Kind Regards,
Jon Moyes
Customer Services Manager
Universal Music Operations
Chippenham Drive, Kingston, Milton Keynes, MK10 0AT
Tel: +44 (0) 845 250 0965
Fax: +44 (0) 845 250 0967
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 13:03

Quote (Sammy @ Aug. 24 2011, 06:47)
Quote (neil-h @ Aug. 24 2011, 11:27)
I'm hoping that the delay is due to a newer version being pressed up to eliminate all previous glitches, but probably unlikely.

That's what I was hoping, too - but alas it was not to be.

Hope you'll at least get the replacement copy; if it's any consolation the "new" glitch is not quite as noticeable as the first one. But it is there.

Apparently, the engineers and the production team are "satisfied" so that must mean they can't even hear it, which is very alarming indeed. Oh dear.

That's bad news, but hopefully I'll get a replacement now that Universal have decided not to fix the 2nd edition.

I'll give them a few days more and if I still haven't got a replacement disc then I'll fire off another email to them!
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 14:43

A JOKE>>>>>>> ******** !!!!
Just had the reply ......
Somebody representing MO music must be seeing all this.>!>
For the 1st time in 30 years...NO MORE MONEY in Universals Pocket for crap !!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP HASSLING THEM !!!!!!
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 17:58

Can't say that the reaction of UMG surprises me...
Profile PM 
doctorlard Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 19:16

Sorry, but the "fix" sticks out like dog's balls, it's early. I'm a musician but I'm pretty sure that would stick out to anyone hearing it.
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 20:13

What is the second glitch you speak of?
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 03:24

Quote (imhotep @ Aug. 25 2011, 03:13)
What is the second glitch you speak of?

In repairing the first glitch they've made a shoddy job of it - just after where the first one used to be, there's now a fraction missing (at 12:40 of part 4) that causes one of the beats to come in too early.

In other words, the jigsaw puzzle piece they patched the earlier error with does not quite "fit", or something to that effect.

As has been stated elsewhere already, the replacement disc error is smaller and slightly less obtrusive than the original one, but the issue is not that, the problem is it's there - the "funny" thing is the earlier cd incarnations of the album did NOT have this fault. So the mind boggles.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 03:42

and the increase in background hiss at 12:36 where they've cut the new bit in.
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 03:48

Quote (Highlander @ Aug. 25 2011, 10:42)
and the increase in background hiss at 12:36 where they've cut the new bit in.

The hiss is not so much the issue to me, IMO the increase is minimal - maybe not even noticeable at least in low/moderate volume... the rhythm irregularity bothers me much more. That could have easily have been avoided... :/
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 05:49

Yes the glitch is such a shoddy mistake so like the Ommadawn remaster before it I'm shelving it and going back to earlier versions.

Anyway, as we're still on Incantations and as the subject needs some positivity check the link to see a programme about steam trains that the BBC aired in the late 70's using Incantations as it's entire soundtrack. It works beautifully, I actually prefer this to Space Movie!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/steamtrains/7313.shtml

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2011, 07:28

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Aug. 25 2011, 12:49)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/steamtrains/7313.shtml

Ah, crikey - "not available in your area"  :/  Might have been interesting!

As for Space Movie, not commenting on the contents of the movie itself but I've never thought myself that "Incantations" fits to any outer space themes - IMO it's very earth-bound, in a good way. Steam engines with their somewhat archaic nature could also go with it... but to me, outer space equals to "slick high tech" to very high extent... which just doesn't seem to fit as a "theme" if you ask me. Space is not the place.

But this above "Incantations video" I do like. The Earth is much more mysterious and beautiful a place than the vast, empty wastes of the cosmos. (Not that I think the cosmos is uninteresting as such, on the contrary.)
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net