Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 137 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 11 2011, 05:03

Quote (theweightless @ June 11 2011, 09:59)
i can see mike and his record company laughing and thinking how many times they can sell us the same product :p

Well said. Give us something new. Get into a studio without synths and computers.  :(
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: June 11 2011, 05:43

Quote (dunlooser @ June 11 2011, 11:03)
Quote (theweightless @ June 11 2011, 09:59)
i can see mike and his record company laughing and thinking how many times they can sell us the same product :p

Well said. Give us something new. Get into a studio without synths and computers.  :(

:cool: ahhh ! totally agree !!!! something new is needed for my ears too  !!! with or without synths no problems ...
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 11 2011, 08:38

How long there revisitations hold his interesf is a moot point, to be sure, but we do owe some of our favourite albums, like Hergest Ridge and Incantations, to the points at which his enthusiasm waned.

I don't think HR represented the extent of his ambitions though.  I'll have to leave my opinions of Ommadawn 5.1 until I experience it but the rest of the package scored hit the back of the net for me.   I'm afraid it was my mistake to only ever casually read Fanny's diary but, at some point last summer, she suggested he was having a whale of a time with Incantations.  Things change so maybe that only equated to the five sections on the tracklisting, and new material would be a most welcome excuse.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 11 2011, 14:30

Quote (HR lover @ June 10 2011, 13:30)
Can I buy that movie somewhere?

I bought the video of it from the Arts Council about 10 years ago. It cost over £60 but was worth it to me. Here is a link to their contact details if you want to enquire about an original DVD or video of it
http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 12 2011, 15:55

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ June 11 2011, 08:38)
Fanny... ... suggested he was having a whale of a time with Incantations.  

Thanks for posting that - I'd missed it and it does give me a bit more optimism  for the new release.
Profile PM 
hibbo Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 03:59

Reflections - I am head of acquisitons for a DVD / film distributor and am trying to license it for a possible DVD release. Let's see what they say about the clearances.
Josh
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 05:43

Quote (hibbo @ June 13 2011, 03:59)
Reflections - I am head of acquisitons for a DVD / film distributor and am trying to license it for a possible DVD release. Let's see what they say about the clearances.
Josh

Good luck! I know a lot of Oldfield fans would be very interested. There is also a lot of very interesting points in the documentary about sacred geometry and nature. There is a spirit about this film, it's a classic. I think one of it's strong points for me is that it doesn't patronise the viewer.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 08:55

Quote (hairy old hippy @ June 13 2011, 05:43)
There is also a lot of very interesting points in the documentary about sacred geometry.

On the plus side, the soundtrack is very good...
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 13:36

The documentary itself is very interesting, and truly of it's time. You could see how Mike could have been inspired in his post Ommadawn works.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 16:48

mmm - it's a bit of a weird nature documentary to me, with a scary voice-over VOICE.  :D

Great music though!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 17:34

Josh

That would be great if you could sort out a DVD release. Cant see the Arts Council wanting to do much with it after 34 years so might not be too much of a problem getting the copyright issues sorted. Alot of Oldfield fans would be very interested in it  :)

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 18:20

Josh

Which distributor, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd suggest it needs at least a mid-range publisher to spend some money on it, give it a proper remastering, restoration and clean-up.

We all know what happenned with 'The Space Movie' - the DVD of that film is a terrible, terrible transfer.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 13 2011, 19:30

Quote (starfish @ June 13 2011, 08:55)
There is also a lot of very interesting points in the documentary about sacred geometry.

LMAO - no offence Hairyoldhippy, just struck a chord!
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 06:44

Quote (Highlander @ June 13 2011, 19:30)
Quote (starfish @ June 13 2011, 08:55)

LMAO - no offence Hairyoldhippy, just struck a chord!

No worries:)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 08:14

Quote (hairy old hippy @ June 14 2011, 06:44)
No worries:)

Hmm.. could we have another Australian here?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 13:23

So, What's the story on Incantations? I don't like to read a lot. Is this a "remix"? Will there be added parts/effects like the ones we criticized on HR? Not that I'm bitching or anticipating something inferior to the original. So far IMO the remixes of TB1 and HR(did Ommadawn get done? I don't remember) have not warranted the attention they have been given. I prefer the originals, like the Porky cut of HR. But it makes my fellow Toobs happy and that is the way I like you to be! So fill me in! Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 14 2011, 19:43

No, it is not listed as a remix.  Just sections have been remixed for disc two.  He remastered it.  Maybe this is slang for remixed.  Who knows.  Perhaps he just found it to be perfect the way it is.  It would be good for Mike to be satisfied with his previous work without need for a change.  

As for the previous remixes, I think they are brilliant!!!  Every last one gave something old a new face without taking away or adding to it.  There were sections where he cleaned up the clutter.  Sometimes you don't always get the original mix right and sounds cluttered and messy or the timing of the instruments entering isn't right.  I've shelved the originals of the re-releases as I feel they sound dated and canned.  The new versions sound alive and fresh!  

So, I say, keep remixing and remastering Mike :)  You're doing a damn good job my friend!!!

Cheers,
Chris
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: June 15 2011, 01:40

Thanks for keeping us informed of developments tubular.net!

"Incantations" is one of my favorite albums, and the fourth of the "Big Four" original classic albums that Mike released.
This looks like a really nice package.  Of course, it would have been nice to see the "Space Movie" version of Incantations Part 4 on there. But, that's life.
The new artwork looks great too.
I will be going for the Deluxe Package for sure... that is, when I can get it here in Canada.

So, Mike, when will we be hearing something new from you?  Hope you still visit these boards, and sorry for asking the "new" question, but there you go, guess I'm just a nosey-parker!  Cheers!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 15 2011, 04:20

Remixed excerpts, no unreleased material....won't pay for the deluxe edition this time that's for sure.
I find it totally rahter pointless to hear the remixed sections out of their context.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 15 2011, 07:33

Quote (larstangmark @ June 15 2011, 04:20)
I find it totally rahter pointless to hear the remixed sections out of their context.

Well, I suppose that depends, doesn't it?

Although many of Oldfield's longer works have a cohesiveness when listened to as a whole, I think we can all discern bits and pieces that work well on their own.

I mean, I enjoyed the 'Ode to Cynthia' part on the Elements CD for years on its own before I got around to buying the Incantations album.

Even Tubular Bells started out as a bunch of disparate pieces; it's especially noticable when you listen to the demos. 'Mike Oldfield's Single' was a re-jigged portion of Tubular Bells and worked beautifully. 'Sentinel' was a successful single in its own right.

You don't need a whole garden to appreciate a single flower!
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net