Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 08 2011, 03:05

Quote (stpaul @ July 07 2011, 10:17)
But I'm very disappointed about the result of the first seconds the remaster of Part 1, cause there's still the high frequency noise on the vocals loops.

I agree it is still very much there... but isn't it true with these things that you have to take a choice between loosing the original quality of the recording, over treating the sound, and keeping it as it was in its original glory?  It would have been awful to have a kind of "compressed" Incantations.  Perfection isnt always possible is it.

To get a perfect version he'd have to do it again, much like he did with Tubular Bells 2003.  Maybe someone, if not MIke, can try to perform and record Incantations again someday.  Would be quite a challenge.  I see Tubular Bells is now being played so why not this?  I wonder if David Bedford still has the Orchestra Parts from the Exposed tour?  Mmmm.....  Bags me NOT do the Vibraphone part though.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 08 2011, 05:58

I was thinking of transcribing Incantations next after Amarok...if I make it out of Amarok alive lol

Maybe we should form an orchestra?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 08 2011, 16:07

@ThisName

I am all for forming an orchestra.. made up of fans on Tubular.net :)  I am a pianist and percussion player.  I offer my services!
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: July 08 2011, 16:15

Well, so now the 5.1 remixes are, at least in part, multichannel versions of music recorded at the time, but that apparently do not have much to do with Incantations as such. Universal information talked about selections from Incantations in 5.1. It looks like it's going to be 10 minutes of it.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: July 08 2011, 16:50

Quote (stpaul @ July 07 2011, 22:59)
Maybe there's no multitrack existing anymore. Who knows.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I cannot put my finger on the article now, but when Incantations was released Mike was confronted about a rumour that material had been wiped. He flatly denied it but also maintained that most of the album was rubbish anyway. He may have only kept the parts that meant something to him during his post Exegesis high.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 01:34

Quote (Airborne @ July 08 2011, 16:50)
Quote (stpaul @ July 07 2011, 22:59)
Maybe there's no multitrack existing anymore. Who knows.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I cannot put my finger on the article now, but when Incantations was released Mike was confronted about a rumour that material had been wiped. He flatly denied it but also maintained that most of the album was rubbish anyway. He may have only kept the parts that meant something to him during his post Exegesis high.

I have read this, too. But he also disliked Hergest Ridge and nevertheless he seemed to be quite dedicated to the deluxe edition.
I'm quite grateful for Wrekorder Wrondo, Pipe Tune and the 3 previously unreleased tracks, but I'm also a bit sad that the release doesn't pay more attention to Incantations (I hope you know what I mean, I can't express it better in English)

Keep your fingers crossed for the next re-releases. I would be very disappointed if the top feature of Platinum Deluxe will be Blue Peter 5.1 Mix.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 04:51

Quote (stpaul @ July 09 2011, 06:34)
I'm also a bit sad that the release doesn't pay more attention to Incantations (I hope you know what I mean, I can't express it better in English)

Keep your fingers crossed for the next re-releases. I would be very disappointed if the top feature of Platinum Deluxe will be Blue Peter 5.1 Mix.

I know exactly what you mean - I feel the same way, but I'm glad at least two tracks are not what was expected and are previously unknown pieces. A future release of Reflections or it's soundtrack would be ideal.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 05:03

On amazon.com (mp3 downloads) you can listen to longer excerpts of the deluxe edition.
It seems that Diana and Diana-Desiderata (exlusively stated as previously unreleased) are very similar (early) versions of the section of Incantations Part 1.
So the credits are once again unsatisfying......
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 08:54

Quote (stpaul @ July 09 2011, 11:03)
On amazon.com (mp3 downloads) you can listen to longer excerpts of the deluxe edition.
It seems that Diana and Diana-Desiderata (exlusively stated as previously unreleased) are very similar (early) versions of the section of Incantations Part 1.
So the credits are once again unsatisfying......

Amazon.co.uk.....you mean

Nothing on .com....

;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 09:34

Here's the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Incanta....r=301-2

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 12:13

Quote (stpaul @ July 09 2011, 07:34)

Well, I hope that the people at Universal will be a little more quality-oriented and a bit less money-oriented regarding that :D... so that they come to their senses and include both versions of Blue Peter: the common one and the (harder-to-find in CD quality) "Dutch Mix". :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 14:37

Quote (Ugo @ July 09 2011, 12:13)
Quote (stpaul @ July 09 2011, 07:34)

Well, I hope that the people at Universal will be a little more quality-oriented and a bit less money-oriented regarding that :D... so that they come to their senses and include both versions of Blue Peter: the common one and the (harder-to-find in CD quality) "Dutch Mix". :cool:

I don't think it's a question of money. It's rathera lack of information and advice.
On the other hand we don't know what's included in the Virgin archives and who good it's documentation is :-(
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 15:51

Of all the things in the world to remix in 5.1, a "Piano Improvisation"? Weird...
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 09 2011, 16:45

Quote (alejandra @ July 09 2011, 20:51)
in 5.1, a "Piano Improvisation"? Weird...

Weird yes, but intriguing  :)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 10 2011, 16:53

Quote (stpaul @ July 09 2011, 06:34)
I'm quite grateful for Wrekorder Wrondo, Pipe Tune and the 3 previously unreleased tracks, but I'm also a bit sad that the release doesn't pay more attention to Incantations (I hope you know what I mean, I can't express it better in English)

Yes - I know what you mean too, but realisticly I'm not expecting Mike to produce wild and wonderful remixes. These releases are basically remastered clean ups with a selection of unheard of tracks. That seems reasonable enough to me -  for your money.

To remix large sections of Incantations would require some inspiration. I can't see it myself. It's like when you read over a dissertation you wrote for a degree, and you think... bloody hell did I write that - that was good! But you can't imagine re-writing that stuff, or finding the terminology - or even wanting to.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 10 2011, 17:23

I'm personally not always a fan of re-mixes. I thought the 2010 re-mix of Ommadawn was a huge disappointment. In particular, the visceral, emotional impact of the last few minutes of part one was totally muted by Mike's decision to bring the drums further up in the mix, while dropping back the bass and keyboards.

I already like the old mix of Incantations. I thought the production on that album was fine to begin with. But a nice crisp remaster would not be too much to ask.
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 10 2011, 17:47

We already had HDCD remasters in 2000.
Wondering who remastered this time. It was Simon Heyworth in 2000.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 10 2011, 21:47

Has anyone else noticed that "Piano Improvisations" is very similar to "First Steps" basic piano riff, on L&S?
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 03:46

Hi guys,

What about keeping this database up do date with as much Mike's releases as possible?
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.p....der=asc
It would be great to see if the new releases actually did more harm than good.
Search for example for queen and sort it out by year. The quality of re-releases goes to hell....

In most cases it looks like that the break point is 1995. Seems like that's when the loudness war begun.
Profile PM 
Woodend Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 14:47

After hearing the 5.1 snippets I cancelled my order. This is going from bad to worse.
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net