Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 137 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 19 2011, 16:50

Quote (alejandra @ July 19 2011, 22:05)
[quote=zinc,July 19 2011, 06:29]obviously a remix of an out take with Paddy Maloney

Northumbrian which is obviously a remix of an out take with Paddy Maloney

Obviously? I for one don't know if Paddy is involved at all in the track, especially when what you hear in the sample sounds like a synth rather than a real bagpipe. Anyway if Paddy is later in the track that'll be great

Paddy plays Irish Pipes, or as they should be called Uilleann Pipes. They have a completely different sound to the Northumbrian.
Ah rekons Mike may have realised it too when he recorded them. Mind I wouldn't mind knowing who did play them.
There was a guy who came down from the north to do the folk circuit, playing The Northumbrian Pipes and was very accomplished. Now this was around the time Mike would be seen at Cheltenham folk club watching the acts, around the time of Incantations. Thats where he found Phil Beer who joined him on the Exposed tour. Wouldn't surprise me if thats whos playing. I'll find out his name. He gave me and the band demo tapes to play to folks. I might still have it.
That most certainly is a Northumbrian pipe not a Synth  or a remix or an outake.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 03:28

5 days to go!

In the main, all I really need is a new Incantations CD because I play it pretty much all November and December - and my copy is pretty much knackerooed.

Incantations are my Christmas carols. :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 05:09

Quote (wiga @ July 20 2011, 09:28)
5 days to go!

In the main, all I really need is a new Incantations CD because I play it pretty much all November and December - and my copy is pretty much knackerooed.

Well thats put me off ever listening to it again Wiga.
I hate Christmas. :(  :D
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 08:31

"I think the Northumbrian musician might be 'Herbie' who was credited with playing northubrian bagpipes on the original Ommadawn LP sleeve. His contribution never made the original release only seeing the light of day on the Ommadawn Lost version on the 2010 Ommadawn reissue. "

Yes you might well be right- I had forgot about Herbie and thinking about I read ages back that Paddy and Mike drank lots of beer late one night and recorded his bit on the album in a single take! Zinc
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 08:43

Quote (zinc @ July 20 2011, 14:31)
"I think the Northumbrian musician might be 'Herbie' who was credited with playing northubrian bagpipes on the original Ommadawn LP sleeve. His contribution never made the original release only seeing the light of day on the Ommadawn Lost version on the 2010 Ommadawn reissue. "

Yes you might well be right- I had forgot about Herbie and thinking about I read ages back that Paddy and Mike drank lots of beer late one night and recorded his bit on the album in a single take! Zinc

Then I doubt the guy I thought may have played that track is correct. Now that story about Mike and Paddy drinking sounds right. I've often wondered why Mike didn't call upon Paddies services for the Voyager album. A'll bet that'll get answered.
:zzz:
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 08:55

I don't think it's Paddy because he play's uillean pipes, not sure it's Herbie either becuase he was a local at Hergest Ridge and his session already turned up on the Ommadawn demo. I reckon it's Mike. Wasn't he supposed to have spent a year in the late seventies learning them? You can see he has a go in the 'All You Need Is Love' video. Also, isn't it the same sound that is evident in 'Pipe Tune' behind all the synths in the second chorus?

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
CH23 Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 09:06

Just received an email saying that the package(the signed record) is on it's way!

I can't wait!
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 09:08

Quote (hairy old hippy @ July 20 2011, 14:55)
I don't think it's Paddy because he play's uillean pipes, not sure it's Herbie either becuase he was a local at Hergest Ridge and his session already turned up on the Ommadawn demo. I reckon it's Mike. Wasn't he supposed to have spent a year in the late seventies learning them? You can see he has a go in the 'All You Need Is Love' video. Also, isn't it the same sound that is evident in 'Pipe Tune' behind all the synths in the second chorus?

I didn't realise that Mike had a go at learning the northumbrian small pipes. I had a go on Uilleann Pipes and found it absolutely impossible. Very difficult to master. Yer blowin into a bag yer deppressin with yer elbow and fingerring thur chanter all at thur same time. Except for when you have to take a breath. All I got out of them was short abrieviated farts.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 09:09

Quote (dunlooser @ July 20 2011, 10:09)
Quote (wiga @ July 20 2011, 09:28)
5 days to go!

Well thats put me off ever listening to it again Wiga.
I hate Christmas. :(  :D

Why?  :D

Incantations IS Christmas!

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 09:27

Incantations.........Incantations its all you hear about on this post.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 03:55

4 days to go ...

Strange that there's been no promotion this time, and no more installments from Fanny.  :/  We don't know what they're doing or where they are.

I'm assuming Mike might give an interview soon - or maybe not with Incantations??

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 05:24

If you search Mike Oldfield on twitter,I've seen recently two users saying that they were supposed to interview him - one is for Record Collector,the other for a US music website (!!!!;) called The Quietus.

BTW,my order seems to have been shipped.Let's wait and see.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 07:28

Ah, good to know Tati!

And nice to see another female face today. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 07:35

Mine has been shipped as well.

My new AT160ML cartridge can't wait to sink it's needle into the grooves of this record.

(Why does it sound so perverted to me?)

Anyway let's see how it can stand against the old good Japanese pressing.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 10:18

There're new excerpts on the jpc.de shop site:

jpc

I know, the mp3 quality is very bad, but if you listen to Hiawatha 2011 Remix it seems that the voice was tweaked with autotune or a similar plug-in :-(
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 10:41

Quote (stpaul @ July 21 2011, 15:18)

if you listen to Hiawatha 2011 Remix it seems that the voice was tweaked with autotune or a similar plug-in :-(

Ugh ! You're absolutey right  :(
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 10:45

Quote (stpaul @ July 21 2011, 10:18)

jpc

I know, the mp3 quality is very bad, but if you listen to Hiawatha 2011 Remix it seems that the voice was tweaked with autotune or a similar plug-in :-(

I'm hoping that's just the sound quality that this site has, it's gotta be right?! Let's just wait and see.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 11:04

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ July 21 2011, 10:41)

if you listen to Hiawatha 2011 Remix it seems that the voice was tweaked with autotune or a similar plug-in :-(

I listened to it again and again... it's not the mp3 resolution. Listen to "Gitche >>>Gumee" it's tuned down.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 12:23

Oh I really hope it sounds much better than that. Getting pretty dis-heartened. If it is poor, then it will kill off my interest in any more re-issues. I'd probably only be interested in Platinum (for any concert footage from that period) and Amarok anyway, but the demand may have died off by then so the re-issues may tail off. Amazon dispatched the CD-Deluxe yesterday so maybe I'll get it tomorrow.
Sounds like tampering for the sake of it so that it can be called a remix, rather than a genuine desire to make something worthwhile. I'd rather them not do it at all if they're not going to do it right. I really don't think Mike has been involved in these remixes all that much - it's just a marketing ploy.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 21 2011, 12:26

Quote (stpaul @ July 21 2011, 11:04)
Quote (Pat Gleeson @ July 21 2011, 10:41)

I listened to it again and again... it's not the mp3 resolution. Listen to "Gitche >>>Gumee" it's tuned down.

Oh dear!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net