Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (40) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations reissue available for pre-order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 03 2011, 06:17

Quote (christopher @ July 03 2011, 04:59)
I found a perfect copy of Mike Oldfield's Virgin Sampler CD(the one with the white cover and him leaning on a stool) for a mere 4 dollars.  

That's a new one to me, I must confess  :)
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: July 03 2011, 09:06

I think christopher means this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Virgin_Compilation
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 03 2011, 10:16

Thanks for that - I never knew of this one's existance  :)
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 04 2011, 18:04

Thanks Airborne for clarifying :)  It's been a while since I've looked at the CD.  I ripped it to my iPod ages ago.  

Mike's music is very prevalent in the States.  Amoeba Music in Hollywood had every album for sale, new and used.

Personally, I recommend online shopping at Amazon.com, .co.uk, or .de.  Best place to find all the deals in any part of the world.
Profile PM 
olaf Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 03:02

The Incantations soundfiles on
http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofw....3346372
are finally online. Piano improvisation and Northumbrian seem to be an unknown pieces of music!!!!! May the discussion begin..
Cheers,
Olaf
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 03:46

Quote (olaf @ July 07 2011, 03:02)
are finally online. Piano improvisation and Northumbrian seem to be an unknown pieces of music!!!!! May the discussion begin..
Cheers,
Olaf

So tantalising, now I'm really looking forward to this!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
spark Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 04:40

Northumbrian , sounds like a left over from Omadawn as we didnt hear any sounds like that on the record .

Looking forward to a nice clean sound on cd as the original record was , the recording was good so im sure there wasnt to much to clean up , 2011 mixes will be intresting .
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 05:43

Let's hope more care is taken with this one, although I don't hold out much hope. Previously we've  had poor videos - (both badly out of sync on Ommadawn Deluxe) and even the titles of tracks spelt incorrectly. That's why I'm convinced there is a mixing error on side one of Ommadawn remix, as opposed to an artistic decision. I wish a real fan had been invovled in these releases - or just someone who takes a bit of care to get it right.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 05:58

Quote (spark @ July 07 2011, 09:40)
Northumbrian , sounds like a left over from Omadawn as we didnt hear any sounds like that on the record .

Looking forward to a nice clean sound on cd as the original record was , the recording was good so im sure there wasnt to much to clean up , 2011 mixes will be intresting .

It definitely has the feeling musically of the period between Ommadawn and Incantations - lovely.  :)

The remastering sounds really clear, even on these short clips.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 06:01

Quote (Highlander @ July 07 2011, 10:43)
I'm convinced there is a mixing error on side one of Ommadawn remix, as opposed to an artistic decision. .

The Ommadawn 5.1 mix is definitely unbalanced, the surround and centre tracks are off kilter somehow. I can't imagine it being an artistic decision either.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 06:01

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 03 2011, 15:36)
I've got three little bits of extra info from Universal, some of which I think you've figured out yourselves already...

The mystery tracks are selected remixed sections - so this time there's no full 5.1 mix, only the excerpts chosen by Mike.

The two samples highlighted above are not selected remixed sections of Incantations. So even Universal didn't know what they were getting! Thanks olaf
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 06:28

Sounds like we are getting some new demos after all  :)

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 10:17

I'm very surpised about the excerpts because Northumbrian and Piano Improvisation seem to have nothing to do with Incantations although they are stated as "Selections from Incantations" (due to the booklet of the promo cd that was on Ebay some time ago).
They appear to be Etudes from 1975-1978.
The Diana Tracks are quite surpising too, as the first one is a very different version from Part 3 and Desiderata appears to be a different take of Part 1.

But I'm very disappointed about the result of the first seconds the remaster of Part 1, cause there's still the high frequency noise on the vocals loops.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 13:43

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 02 2011, 18:34)

I was looking at those unknown tracks on Disc 2, and then I realized what they are: (I THINK) the many outtakes Mike made before the final release of Incantations. They sounded quite different because Mike made most of them before his Exegesis period.

Quote (jjmillenium @ June 02 2011, 19:12)
that 5 tracks aren't demos or rare things. I explain, in the first cd we have the whole album remastered by Oldfield himself, and on the cd2 we have 5 extracts from the record remixed by Oldfield, that singles or b-sides and only one demo at the end of the CD2

Looks like I was right after all.... as we can listen on the Universal website, they are in fact early demos!

Quote (stpaul @ July 07 2011, 16:17)
I'm very surpised about the excerpts because Northumbrian and Piano Improvisation seem to have nothing to do with Incantations although they are stated as "Selections from Incantations" (due to the booklet of the promo cd that was on Ebay some time ago).
They appear to be Etudes from 1975-1978.
The Diana Tracks are quite surpising too, as the first one is a very different version from Part 3 and Desiderata appears to be a different take of Part 1.

I think they are made before Mike's Exegesis period. Mike had lots and lots of outtakes before Incantations was carved into what it has become.

The Wrekorder Wrondo version is fun: you can hear Mike counting, which isn't on the vinyl single edition!

I also was hoping that the Piano Improvisation was the piece which can be heard on the "Reflections" documentary. In this documentary there is an outtake from the beginning of Incantations Part 4. The flute preset from the Roland SH-2000 synthesizer is different compared to the final recording. You can hear it at 22:00 on this link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7056669413467832719

Unfortunately it sound like Piano Improvisation is something different after all, but still fun to hear such rare material!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 14:07

Quote (hairy old hippy @ July 07 2011, 08:46)
Quote (olaf @ July 07 2011, 03:02)
Cheers,
Olaf

So tantalising, now I'm really looking forward to this!

The "Piano Improvisation" starts off beautifully -  5 minutes more to look forward to.

"Northumbrian" is very Mike - warm and homely. :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 15:40

Can anyone tell me if these remasters have been treated to dynamic range compression. I must admit I hadn't noticed any lack of 'punch' on these remasters as I have on some others. (for those who want to know more, search for 'loadness war' on youtube)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 07 2011, 15:51

Diana (2011 Stereo Mix) is actually an early demo, no?

So did he actually remix a demo? Or they just label "2011 Stereo Mix" the previously unreleased sound waves? But then we have to explain the 5.1 mix of an untuned demo too.

I found it weird that Mike would remix only parts of the album, but doing 5.1 mixes of demos is pretty weird too. :) Do you think he enjoys doing it? Or he signed a contract for some Incantations 2011 remixes, then decided he didn't want to do it, and found a loophole in the contract that he could remix quick early demos instead?
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 16:41

Quote (Olivier @ July 07 2011, 20:51)
Diana (2011 Stereo Mix) is actually an early demo, no?

It's hard to tell, but I would speculate that all the tracks on disc 2 - whether they are supposed demos or known tracks - are 2011 stereo remixes / remasters downmixed from the 5.1 versions on disc 3.

The Incantations album on disc 1 is purely a 2011 remaster.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 17:24

Northumbrian sounds a bit like the beginning of Orabidoo!
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 07 2011, 17:59

Quote (Olivier @ July 07 2011, 15:51)
I found it weird that Mike would remix only parts of the album, but doing 5.1 mixes of demos is pretty weird too. :) Do you think he enjoys doing it? Or he signed a contract for some Incantations 2011 remixes, then decided he didn't want to do it, and found a loophole in the contract that he could remix quick early demos instead?

Indeed, it's a very strange concept. But possibly there is no concept !
Making 2011 mixes of never heard demos and a 5.1 mix of a solo piano recording is quite weird.
Although it's very good to make these compositions available.
But I don't understand why there're no new mixes of the great parts of Incantations e.g. the opening section or the final part which are real masterpieces.
Maybe there's no multitrack existing anymore. Who knows.
Profile PM 
781 replies since June 01 2011, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (40) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net