Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 24 2010, 04:43

Quote (The Caveman @ June 24 2010, 04:34)
Incantation as in ritual magic as an invocation.

Oh OK.  Thanks.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2010, 06:39

No worries.The version on The Space Movie intrigues me greatly.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 24 2010, 07:10

Quote (The Caveman @ June 24 2010, 06:39)
No worries.The version on The Space Movie intrigues me greatly.

Me too.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2010, 08:54

I belive it's an early demo version.Given that we had the demo of HR and the first version of Ommadawn then this version of Incantations could be a possibility  for inclusion on the Deluxe Incatations package.Korgscrew do you have any info on what's going to be in this one?

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 24 2010, 14:47

Quote (The Caveman @ June 24 2010, 08:54)
I belive it's an early demo version.Given that we had the demo of HR and the first version of Ommadawn then this version of Incantations could be a possibility  for inclusion on the Deluxe Incatations package.Korgscrew do you have any info on what's going to be in this one?

you mean there IS going to be one?  Can I get giddy yet?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 04:06

Dunno.That's why i asked Korg.

To be fair Mike never liked HR and it's always been overlooked in favour of Ommadawn.If he's seen fit to sanction a Deluxe version of that then surely there's a fair chance of the same being done for Incantations,which he was also not so keen on but saw fit to play live on the tour that followed it.
 We know Mike's supposed to be remixing the entire Virgin catalogue so why not?The only sticking point would be the 70+ minute running time.

What do you know Korgscrew?

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 09:06

Incantation as in ritual magic as an invocation.Hiawatha was taking Longfellow and setting it to music as was Ode To Cynthia for Ben Jonson.

Incidentally, MO isn't the only popular musician to set Longfellow. Hawkwind also do, in "Assault on Battery" on Warrior on the Edge of Time.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 09:15

Quote (nightspore @ June 25 2010, 09:06)
Incantation as in ritual magic as an invocation.Hiawatha was taking Longfellow and setting it to music as was Ode To Cynthia for Ben Jonson.

Incidentally, MO isn't the only popular musician to set Longfellow. Hawkwind also do, in "Assault on Battery" on Warrior on the Edge of Time.

Here it is. Only the first verse is by Longfellow, of course. "The Golden Void" is fun too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYY7HNJq_Ng

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 19:20

@ nightspore: who are these guys? They sound like Jethro Tull on heavy acid. :D :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 21:49

Quote (Ugo @ June 25 2010, 19:20)
@ nightspore: who are these guys? They sound like Jethro Tull on heavy acid. :D :laugh:

Hawkwind? They're a British institution, although virtually unknown outside Britain. They have a very pronounced science fiction focus, to the extent that science fiction author Michael Moorcock even contributed to their material - and even contributes vocals to this record!

I'm sure there's a Tubularian who nominates Hawkwind as among his favourite bands, but I can't remember who it is.
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 26 2010, 03:48

Lemmy?  :p

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 17:30

Hawkwind were, and remain ... rubbish ... for the most part. It might have been different had they seen the need to have a decent singer ... but they didn't and so, apart from the essential 'Silver Machine' and 'Quark, Strangeness & Charm', I think they are entirely dispensable (although I have many friends who don't agree)...

More significantly, returning to Incantations which is the last of the early period MO era, with the lengthy conceptual orchestrated pieces dominating, I guess a deluxe version must be forthcoming. It deserves it.

It would round off our collections appropriately, although I wonder how he would choose to tackle it?

It might be heresy to some, but I have always found this to be the weakest of the four (TB/HR/O/I). Perhaps because it was dragged out over four sides and the brilliance of the first part could never be upheld for so long. Ultimately, I have always liked sides 1 & 3 but never cared as much for the other two in their entirety (although they have their moments).

In saying that I wonder if one possible mix might be to somehow edit the whole thing down into a two-part piece (as with its predecessors) lasting about 40 mins?

One thing is interesting is the way you can plot a direct linear course through these four albums and see the developments and how each influenced its successor. That is perhaps deserving of a complete thread of its own but simply put: TB's structure (particularly the cyclical crescendos) informed HR's structure even though the latter was more moody, pastoral and texturally meandering. Those textures were to be developed in O also taking some of the developing choral ideas from the 2nd record along with a more obvious percussive element and also the chanting and wardance type things which would be further developed a couple of years later with I.

The first four releases form a cycle in a way - certainly a family. There was also far more acoustic instruments used - something to which I have always hoped he would return...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 14:52

Blimey, lets get back to Incantations.

The first three albums were released over 3 years, we then had to wait 3 whole years more for Incantations.   Maybe it is Mikes most difficult work.  Hardly easy listening, with it’s odd time signatures and many repetitive sections which require patience to fully appreciate.  Yet it has some of the same beauty that can be heard on the first three records, and some also of its own, and of which he’s never repeated.  I don’t know whether it was Exegesis or whatever, but Mike’s next few offerings after this were completely different.  
As Spock might have said at the time “it’s Mike Oldfield Jim, but not as we know him”.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 15:25

Quote (captainjjb @ June 28 2010, 20:52)
As Spock might have said at the time “it’s Mike Oldfield Jim, but not as we know him”.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha... :laugh: :laugh: :D You have absolutely NO IDEA of what you have just reminded me!!! :laugh:

The Firm - Star Trekkin'

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 19:07

Fanny:"Klingons on the Starboard Bow,Mike!"    :O

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 22:11

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 27 2010, 17:30)
Hawkwind were, and remain ... rubbish ... for the most part. It might have been different had they seen the need to have a decent singer ... but they didn't and so, apart from the essential 'Silver Machine' and 'Quark, Strangeness & Charm', I think they are entirely dispensable (although I have many friends who don't agree)...

Yes, it has been wryly observed that Hawkwind are long overdue to add another guitar chord to the four they already know!

As an Australian, I'm not close to their milieu, but I understand part of their appeal is/was the way they are/were a magnet for other musicians. Apparently Hendrix talked about playing with them at one time; and David Gilmour has worked with them on occasions. There seems, in fact, to be a kind of rapport between Hawkwind and early Pink Floyd, which this cover version of "Cymbaline" underlines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYAl_cLG2qQ

Interestingly this also contains the kind of guitar sound heard on "Seabirds", also on the soundtrack to More.
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 04:38

Wikipedia announces deluxe editions of Incantations,
Exposed and Platinum at the end of 2010. But that message
has been online for a few months now. Wasn't it mentioned before
that Universal would rerelease Mike's entire backcatalogus?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incantations_(album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposed_(Mike_Oldfield_album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_(Mike_Oldfield_album)

Anyone who can confirm this rumours?
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 06:21

Dazzler ,

Pipe Tune was a demo for Incantations .

You cant just put it into part 2 .

Its a b side and should just be an extra .

When it came out we all new somthing special was on its way and with the sound of the sequencers at the end of Pipe Tune , it was the start of things to come .

I always thought that Platinum was made quickly to cover the cost of the Incantations tour as well as Exposed .

I like it but you can tell not a lot of thought went into it , he coverd Glass and Gershwin ,which was the first time any covers of other peoples music had been on one of Mikes albums .
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 07:04

Quote (spark @ June 29 2010, 06:21)
I always thought that Platinum was made quickly to cover the cost of the Incantations tour as well as Exposed.

I like it but you can tell not a lot of thought went into it, he coverd Glass and Gershwin, which was the first time any covers of other peoples music had been on one of Mikes albums.

Sounds a likely theory to me too.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 08:31

Ghost mojo ,

Are you off your head or what !

Mix Incantations down to 40 mins !!

This is one of Mikes most experimentle peices .

Very Phillip Glass influenced but magical in places and very diverse.

Each side tells its own story which comes together on side 4.

When this came out it was a true change of direction. We were used to one main side of Ideas which built up to a grand final"e at the end , with side 2 ( as Mike has said) a more looser feel for experiment with the main theme in mind.

How the hell can you dismiss this huge peice of work , when he was just discovering himself and opening up to us.

Platinum and Guilty were the disco versions of Incantations .

If you watch The Essential Mike Oldfield video or laser disc you can see Mike talking about how he came to write some of the music of incantations .

After Platinum i think it was all down hill.

Singles galore on QE2 which was patchy even with Phill Collins on drums .

And everyone on here rates Amorok as a great album ?

Sorry its a few tunes stuck together with his Wild guitar sound breaking in here and there (thats why Mike needs a producer to reign him in ) and the Maggie Thatcher at end was pure crap and dates the record badly .

I think most people in the UK gave up on Mike after Guilty.

Most of his records sales after that (except Crisis ) were from the rest of europe.
Profile PM 
87 replies since June 23 2009, 17:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net