Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations condensed version, How would you do it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MO fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 27 2002, 18:09

I love INCANTATIONS its my favorite MO album of all time (so far). It should be, considering the time it took Mike to get it out to the public, but it was worth the wait.

Due to it being a double album there is quite lot of great music there and some pieces that are a bit repetative.

The following may be blasphemy to many of you fans, but through a bit of editing (sorry mike) I got my record album down to a size to fit on a CD -R writable disk so that I can play it in my car CD changer.

The one million dollar question:-

How would you edit it down to your favorite condensed version on a CD-R, to bring out the best of the album? What would you miss out?

Based this on the whole album Parts 1 & 2 (on 1st record) & Parts 3 & 4 (on 2nd record)

Cheers, MO fan :D
Profile PM 
MO fan
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 14 2002, 17:45

I notice in the messages in 'Some t(h)oughts' a lot of you thought INCANTATIONS a bit long and repeatative,

Well the above method of condensing the album onto a CD-R is the best solution.

Mind you INCANTATIONS to me is still Mikes best ever work, even after buying his lattest Tr3s Lunas album.

Cheers MO fan :D
-TWin3OR- Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2002, 12:22

Eso está claro, si el tr3s lunas no vale paná
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2003, 18:35

babelfish translation:

"that this sure if, it is Tr3 luna, not worth velveteen ???"

Thought never much so of computer translators, I have did'nt

Taara thenoo, MO fan :D
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 11 2003, 17:42

MO Fan, have you listened to the Exposed version of Incantations? That whittles it down to 47:20 min. The SOH section of Part II is certainly abridged, what a shame (NOT! ), but it's also missing one of my favorite sections of part IV.

I kinda like the full version, but sometimes prefer to play it in a different order: part I, III, II, IV. It's certainly my favorite MO, too, in any order or length.

:)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2003, 01:49

Quote (Inkanta @ Jan. 11 2003, 17:42)
MO Fan, have you listened to the Exposed version of Incantations? That whittles it down to 47:20 min

I have not listened to the Exposed version of Incantations

I will get a copy, thank you.

Cheers MO fan :D
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2003, 03:07

I would leave out all the Hiawatha parts from part II. That would both shorten it nicely, and make it much better without all those nasal vocals.
Profile PM WEB 
Dude Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 06:58

I've been wanting to edit Incantations for the longest time (still haven't), as it is my favourite Oldfield-album too, but I agree that some parts are too repetetive.
Part I: I'd shorten the sung "luna"-part a little, and perhaps erase the reprise after that from the opening-flute-theme entirely.
Part II: I'd shorten the Hiawatha-poem of course.
Part III: I'd shorten the parts that follow Oldfield's marvelous guitar-solo. Maybe the second half of the guitar-solo should be erased as well, but I won't, as I consider it Mike's best solo to date.
Part IV: leave it be!

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 04 2003, 09:53

We had Incantations taped off but it already seemed to be much much shorter. The first chunk of part with the voices and 'synth woodles' and flute was cut right out and after the middle tune on part 1 it went straight to the quiet part after the 'backwards theme' on part 2. No gap. Was strange. I don't know where it came from. It wasn't fan-engineered, though. Was more like a chopped up re-release or something.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2003, 19:09

Well, after 25 years of use I have put my records of Incantations away due to the amount of scratches on them.
Definately got my moneys worth out of that double album.

So I splashed out on a replacement today at the sale price of £4.99 for the CD disk version and lo and behold I was amazed that all the music is on the one disk, plus there is no copy protection to worry about. he, he.he.

What can I say to sum it up......I love this album.

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 04:04

[On Topic]

I think Mary-Carol, a.k.a. Inkanta, is right. A 'condensed' version could be based on the first two tracks on 'Exposed', as they respectively are Inc. 1+2 and Inc. 3+4. :) You could use 'em as a starting point.

[Off Topic]

The Spanish phrase up there means: "Of course it is, since Tr3s Lunas is worth absolutely nothing" [literally: it isn't worth a rag :)].

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2003, 18:49

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 08 2003, 04:04)
The Spanish phrase up there means: "Of course it is, since Tr3s Lunas is worth absolutely nothing" [literally: it isn't worth a rag :)].

Thats great, I could not sleep at night wondering what that spanish phrase meant, Just kidding  :p

Anyway at least we all know now.

Hope you are enjoying your condensed version of Incantations, I on the other hand am back listening to all of it, especially part four.

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2003, 10:13

i wouldn't cut almost anything from INCANTATIONS - i love to listen to it from begginig to end...but the repetative ending of part1 is a bit sleepy...anyway it is one of MIke's best albums up to now - but if had to had a choice, i'd rather be on horseback...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2003, 05:31

I think I could do without most of Part 2 actually, since the 'Diana' bit also appears in Part 1, and the Hiawatha bit appears in a much better and more interesting form in Part 4.

Controversial?!

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 24 2004, 14:46

Quote (Sysiyo @ Feb. 05 2003, 03:07)
I would leave out all the Hiawatha parts from part II. That would both shorten it nicely, and make it much better without all those nasal vocals.

I never particularly thought of the Maddy Prior rendition of this was nasal, but then I did listen closely recently, especially to the part in the beginning "...water. At the doorway of the wigwam". For these few words, it could be Fran Drescher singing it.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 22 2004, 06:02

I'd just chop parts One and Two off entirely. I just listened to it again today and I'm afraid to say that the whole of the first LP does absolutely nothing for me. Saying that, after getting rid of parts One and Two the remainder absolutely rocks!! I love the first guitar solo of Part Three and the rocking one of Part Four. And the end of Part Four with Maddy Prior singing has to be Mike's musical high point of the 70's for me.

And I certainly don't consider Maddy's voice nasal at all: though she gets a bit repetitive during the Hiawatha section that is just the fault of the music. She is one of the best vocalists of all time for her work with Steeleye Span. Her voice is just amazing.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 07:55

I'd leave Part One intact.
I'd edit Part Two down a lot - I'd keep the intro and then move straight into an edit of the song.
I'd edit Parts Three and Four together like they are on the Space Movie except on the Elements DVD, missing out that somewhat tortuous vibes section from Part Four altogether.

Yeah, I'd miss the end of Part Three with the drums quite a bit, but this edited Incantations would work for me as a listening experience.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 10:51

Though I'm fond of, and incomparably grateful to, Maddy Prior for a lifetime of musical nourishment via Steeleye Span, I struggle to enjoy her performance in Incantations. I can't cope with its shrill repetitiveness, and I'm sorry to say that her sections would be the first to go.

I thrashed Incantations to bits years ago by overplaying it - so much so that when I played it yesterday even after a gap of several years, it seemed stale. I think what I'd like to do is cut almost every repeated passage, so that the music progresses at a faster rate. But the fault is mine, not the music's.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 11:13

Quote (Alan D @ Jan. 19 2005, 10:51)
I think what I'd like to do is cut almost every repeated passage, so that the music progresses at a faster rate.

Oh my God, Alan, you'd "Amarokise" it!!

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 11:18

I'm one of those odd creatures who think that Incantations is perfect as it is, repetitions, nasal vocals and all.
Profile PM 
42 replies since Nov. 27 2002, 18:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net