Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations Backward< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Darth Maul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 23 2000, 18:52

I do not know if you people know this, but, I've never read that information anywhere inside or outside Mike Oldfield community. After listening to pieces of Incantations backwards, (made *.wav files from CD, and then reversed them in Sound Recorder which comes with Windows 95/98/ME) I came to the conclusion that the beginning of the Part 2 (flute theme) is a reversed theme played on the Part 1 by two trumpets echoing each other, the bit just before the climax-chant bit. Somebody should try it, say if I am imagining things, and if I am not, that somebody should give correct timing (I cannot, because I've borrowed my Incantations CD to a friend - it's that fan based Mike Oldfield promotion thingy :)
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2000, 04:58

Hey. Guys, I'm back!!

Yes. You're right and if you didn't know before you could have easily guessed this. Spot how the rhythm in the pan-pipe synth bit of Part 2 is a bit "strange". Nobody would compose a rhythm like that (I don't think)

In the Exposed version it is less apparent as it has to be played manually rather than the more mechanical nature of the acoustic version

You might also know this as well, DM regarding your nickname: My friend has the soundtrack CD to Star Wars Episode 1. When Anakin's theme was playing he said "This is so cool. It's the Imperial March tune backwards". Do you know if this is right or not? I don't know the original Star Wars imperial march very well
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2001, 10:04

Hi, boe is!

When I was such smaller, my friend dropped my 'Incantations' tape to the floor and it got broken, and I got so angrywith him, but when I tried to arrange it...I found by my surprise that it sounded backwards, and the trumpet part of part 1 had the melody of the flute part from part 2, and the other way the same!!

I can tell you as well that I got to get some parts of Taurus II backwards, and Mike could easily do the same with them because there´s a part that sounds quite right...the guitar solo ascending so quickly until there´s a Rick Fenn quieter part.

I don´t know about Imperial March... although I like to use Quigon as a Nickname smile!!

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: June 11 2007, 18:29

Just bumping this to the top as some people may not know about it. It also illustrates the clever way in which Mike's mind works.
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: June 12 2007, 01:20

and it also shows that you guys have far to much time on your hands   :D

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 29 2007, 05:20

I finally checked it out, and yeah, wow.  :laugh:
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: July 02 2007, 02:50

I checked it out yesterday. Yes its backwards, but not 1:1. The theme (8 bars in echoes) is reduced to 4 bars (without echoes). Every 2. bar is cutted! Also the chord progression speed is doubled. In part 1 the chord changed all 2 bars. In part 2 it changes every bar. In general there are 4 changes for every melody line.

It´s not as complicated as it sounds   ;)
Profile PM 
6 replies since Sep. 23 2000, 18:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net