Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations and the Space Movie - timeline?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2014, 13:48

I just got round to watching the (2007) interview with Tony Palmer on the DVD of the Space Movie. He talks extensively about his collaboration with Mike on the music, but continually refers to this time being (for example) when "Ommadawn had been finished but not released" and "visiting Mike in Herefordshire", *not* Gloucestershire - Mike  moved to Througham sometime in 1976 I think?

However, he also refers to approaching Mike in September 1978...at which point Incantations must have been pretty well finished - it was released at the end of 1978 I think? - but on the back of Richard Branson saying "he [Mike] had finished Ommadawn and needed something to do"...which would have been in late 1975?

The release of the movie was scheduled by Michael Grade, then of ITV, for July 1979 and Palmer talks about discussing the soundtrack in the previous October, with “Mike started writing straight away”?

So none of this fits with his other comments saying basically the soundtrack that Mike was writing specifically was only 5 or so minutes long by the time it was supposed to be ready (Spring 1979ish?), and that was why they cobbled together bits and pieces including fragments of what was to become Incantations...but on the above timeline Incantations was already done?

Hopefully you can track your way through the stream of consciousness above...what I need to know is have I got this all wrong or has Tony Palmer? The obvious facts are that Incantations was released end 1978 and the movie mid 1979...corrections and guidance welcome!!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 12:05

What? Does no one have any views or ideas? Or are you all on Farcebook?

--------------

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 22 2014, 16:54

Quote (Priabonia @ Jan. 22 2014, 16:05)
Or are you all on Farcebook?

Heh! No, not in my case as least, just buried in other things elsewhere :)

There's another little bit of information which I think explains all of this - Tony was the director of the series All You Need Is Love, which featured the 'making of Ommadawn' footage which you can find doing the rounds (and is now available on DVD). I haven't watched the Space Movie DVD interview, but I assume he's either just talking slightly unclearly about why he was visiting Mike, or he's just getting his visits to Mike confused with each other.

Mike moved to Througham in late 1975 as far as I know, so yes, anything from 1976 onwards (up until sometime in late-ish 1979, when he moved to Denham) would have to be there and not the Beacon.

I'd assume, like you say, that they'd be starting talking about the film in 1978 and it would have been Incantations which Mike had just finished (released in late November, so yes, quite likely finished around September).

So yes, Incantations was already done before Mike began the ultimately abortive attempt to write new music for the film, and when it turned out it wouldn't be possible for him to write new music for the film, Tony Palmer was offered Mike's entire back catalogue to date. Clearly that contained a few unreleased oddities!

The story that fragments used in the film became Incantations might be someone confusing it with Reflection from 1977, which did contain some embryonic fragments of Incantations, as well as some of the 'lost' Ommadawn.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2014, 08:33

Thanks for your thoughts, yes, I guess that makes some sort of sense...I'll put it down to TP's memory then

--------------

Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2014, 00:06

I once got Tony Palmer to give me some dates regarding the Space Movie. He told me that the first full discussion of the project with Mike took place on June 21, 1978 and said "he practically started work then and there". What was not foreseen, however, was that Mike would need to see the edited film to write a proper score.  Initial editing of the film material didn't take place until the last weeks of 1978. He went on "We got round to way past Easter (1979) and one of the problems was I couldn't give him the material to work with because I hadn't got it all from Washington and I had to edit it together, so he had an excuse for not doing much". A version of the film - but without the finished music track - was shown in Cannes on May 17, 1979.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2014, 07:05

thanks, in which case his comments in the documentary make no sense at all!

If I get a minute I will listen again and transcribe the relevant portions

--------------

Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2014, 13:18

His comments in the documentary were made before I asked him to look at his diaries.
Profile PM 
chrisdewey Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2014, 10:56

This extract from page 46 of my new biography, Mike Oldfield - A Life Dedicated To Music may help:

Shortly after this, ten years after the first moon landings, Virgin put out a press release announcing: ‘on 20th July 1979 at 7.30pm, ITV acknowledges the tenth anniversary of that achievement with The Space Movie, a film by Tony Palmer, produced by Virgin Films with music by Mike Oldfield’. Tony recalls: ‘I went to Washington and met [NASA] and was amazed to discover they had all this footage. I really hadn’t a clue how to put this thing together and absolutely out of the blue Richard Branson rang up saying that Mike doesn’t know what to do and is really suicidal, “have you got anything that you think might suit him?” So down we went and he said, “oh, that does sound interesting”, and he practically started work there and then. One thing we hadn’t taken into account was that if it was going to be the tenth anniversary it really was July 1979. We got round to way past Easter, but I couldn’t give him the material to work with because I hadn’t got it all from Washington and I had to edit it together, so he had an excuse for not doing much. Anyway, when I finally got him the film we realised that with only about six weeks to go he had only done three minutes and I needed ninety. Then desperation set in, and with Richard’s help we sold him the idea of using everything he had written so far including Incantations and Orchestral Hergest Ridge, which I think had never been released. I promised I would let him hear the result, which I did, and luckily he thought I’d done a very good job. With less than a week to go, he gave us the go ahead and out it went. I think he realised that I took him and his music seriously. I was interested in how he did it and what his ambition was musically and I was to treat the end result with a degree of seriousness’

Hope this helps?

Chris
Profile PM WEB 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2014, 14:33

Quote (chrisdewey @ Jan. 27 2014, 10:56)
Anyway, when I finally got him the film we realised that with only about six weeks to go he had only done three minutes and I needed ninety.

Does anybody know what happened to that 3 minutes of music he wrote for the space movie? Did it end up in the film or was it used somewhere else, or does it remain unreleased?
Profile PM 
8 replies since Jan. 19 2014, 13:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net