Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations, In might have to change my name!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HR lover Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 16:39

I recently bought Incantations on a cd and vinyl fair in Utrecht.
When I gave it a listen I thought it was good. Not as good as HR though. But when I listened to part 4 a strange feeling came to me. I was completely relaxed and watched outside the window to see some birds. As I saw a bird I had this great feeling. In Changeling I've read that Sally Oldfield saw a sunrise and that she also had a mystical feeling.  And that she based her music around that feeling.  And I can totally get that. Mike also has had this feeling methinks. I think he meditates to achieve that. And it only lasts for 2 or 3 seconds. Well I must confess that he really seemed to pull it off with Incatations for me. HR has also given me this wonderful feeling, but the feeling I got from Incantations was way stronger. In fact it is way stronger than anything I have ever felt. It's like a total freedom, some sort of nirvana. I think it only lasted approximately 0.3-0.5 seconds. I always thought that perpetual bliss is terrible. The notion that we could live forever makes me feel terrible. But this was different. It was like I didn't have to think about anything what so ever. A total anarchy but not in a bad way. It really is inexplainable although I try my best. I have felt like this before when I was a kid. I think someone had the same feeling with HR. I think Incantations HR and Ommadawn have very strong feelings in them. But I also think that not everybody can hear them. That would definitely explain why Nightspore has them equally last on his list. All I can say is that I really feel blessed that I can feel that thing whatever it may be. I've always sweared that nothing could be better than HR, to be proven wrong is just wonderful!. I think I have to change my name to Incantations lover!
PS  I think part 2 and part 4 are the best parts of Incantations by the way.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 16:44

I also have the need to tell you that I get that feeling (but in a weaker form) with HR, conflict, North Point, Tricks of The Light and also with the very last seconds of Mr Shame. And probably more but I can´t remembem.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2010, 03:14

Quote (HR lover @ Nov. 26 2010, 21:39)
Well I must confess that he really seemed to pull it off with Incantations for me. HR has also given me this wonderful feeling, but the feeling I got from Incantations was way stronger. In fact it is way stronger than anything I have ever felt. It's like a total freedom, some sort of nirvana.

You talk with great passion HR lover :)

You have inspired me to play Incantations today. It effects me in a similar spiritual way to you - and for some reason it sounds best at Christmas time I think. Today there's snow on the ground here in the UK, which is unusual for November, but the atmosphere outside really does set the scene perfectly for Incantations.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 03:40

Incantations 4 is sounding bloody fantastic!! Never sounded better.

Yesterday; clear roads, glistening snow, ice on trees twinkling like jewels - you couldn't ask for more - brought tears to my eyes. Marvellous. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 04:37

Incantations 4 is an incredible piece of music, constantly rising 5ths on the vibraphones drive the piece forward and create, to me at any rate, a euphoric effect.   The soaring guitar solo over the top of the vibraphones is the icing on the cake.  It is one of the few pieces that I know so well yet don’t mind listening to again and again.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 08:15

Agree with all thats been said....love the vibraphones....
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 08:18

no comment (I think it speaks for itself!;)  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 08:59

Quote (HR lover @ Nov. 26 2010, 16:39)
It's like a total freedom, some sort of nirvana. I think it only lasted approximately 0.3-0.5 seconds. I always thought that perpetual bliss is terrible. The notion that we could live forever makes me feel terrible. But this was different. It was like I didn't have to think about anything what so ever. A total anarchy but not in a bad way. It really is inexplainable although I try my best. I have felt like this before when I was a kid. I think someone had the same feeling with HR. I think Incantations HR and Ommadawn have very strong feelings in them. But I also think that not everybody can hear them. That would definitely explain why Nightspore has them equally last on his list.

To me, all Mr O's records except these three create a kind of transcendent feeling. There's also a rather inexplicable sense of deja vu: as though I'm being reminded of some perfect world I once knew long ago but now no longer is there. It's extremely odd. Plato believed we have vague memories of an ideal world of "Forms" - maybe he was right.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 10:56

Quote (HR lover @ Nov. 26 2010, 22:39)
But when I listened to part 4 a strange feeling came to me. I was completely relaxed and watched outside the window to see some birds. As I saw a bird I had this great feeling. In Changeling I've read that Sally Oldfield saw a sunrise and that she also had a mystical feeling.  And that she based her music around that feeling.

I ve got that same feeling when i heard Ommadawn.. in someway it got your spirit, you feel close to something strange/mystic, like there are some closed doors, behind there something must be.. just like Mike Oldfield mention in his book.. he tried to catch something behind music, that feeling of something else beeing there or go deep into the music.. he really was sure of this, and using drugs helped him with this.. he was quite focused on drowning in this creation of making music with this feeling.
sorry little out of line :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 11:00

Quote (captainjjb @ Dec. 21 2010, 10:37)
Incantations 4 is an incredible piece of music, constantly rising 5ths on the vibraphones drive the piece forward and create, to me at any rate, a euphoric effect.   The soaring guitar solo over the top of the vibraphones is the icing on the cake.  It is one of the few pieces that I know so well yet don’t mind listening to again and again.

Hi, Captainjjb. What's a rising fifth? I thought I know everything about music theory but I've never heard of rising 5ths.  :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 11:03

ive got some problems gettin into part 4, its just too much of ding ding dong.. how do you get use to this kinda Glockenspiel chaos thing? it never stops i feel...
but then again.. i love the start of part 4.. and i love the section when guitar solo comes in.. i just want it to last longer.. (must be reason why i made that Amadian mix) and of course the end of this part 4, is amazing.. lovely..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 12:30

Quote (Tubularman @ Dec. 21 2010, 16:03)
its just too much of ding ding dong..

:D

Those two guitar solos are something else, and the last note is perfection!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 13:29

Quote (wiga @ Dec. 21 2010, 18:30)
Quote (Tubularman @ Dec. 21 2010, 16:03)
its just too much of ding ding dong..

:D

Those two guitar solos are something else, and the last note is perfection!!

amen!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2010, 21:38

Quote (HR lover @ Nov. 26 2010, 22:44)
I also have the need to tell you that I get that feeling (but in a weaker form) with HR, conflict, North Point, Tricks of The Light and also with the very last seconds of Mr Shame. And probably more but I can´t remembem.

OK my friend. Well, if you say you reach that kind of a link-to-eternity (that's how I understand that very special feeling you explained before) listening not to 'The Lake', 'Mont St. Michel' or 'Top of the Morning' but with 'Tricks of the Light' and 'Mr. Shame' I have to tell you it must be an intense thing on you, as they are not specifically mystic tracks!!!!!

I got really touched with what you said. It can be a vague and sudden glimpse of eternity, or a bit of what is the presence of the Lord. I have felt it quite a few times, and for me there's evidence He exists and we are made at His own image. If that is right, surely we can have a contact with Him, in some way or the other. And I always felt Mike Oldfield's music (and Mike's own person) is touched by God.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 06:39

It is definitely true what you say, but it's not always the whole track that seems transcending. I think the transcending part of Mr.Shame only lasts maybe 2 secs. I also feel that some of those transcending parts are not equally strong and can be different from oneother, it seems to have multiple dimensions maybe.
I feel it the most strong with Incantations, followed by HR.
But it feels different with Incantantions than with HR.
With Incantations I felt I put my hand in the transcending dimension, and that it can be a lot stronger if I can actually see it.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 09:39

What does a transcending feeling feel like. Is everyone talking about the same thing?

When I was listening to Incantations 4 this morning - I went through various feeling; - relaxed - meditative - sad - exhilerated - choked at the end of the guitar solo - and then some mixed feelings with Hiawartha - and slightly amused with the vocals when pondering how one gets that characteristic folky voice...

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 14:09

By the way, what's wrong with tricks of the light? I think it's the best song on Discovery. The lake starts off good but then it gets less and less good IMO.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2010, 16:42

Listening to Incantations 3 today, and I don't know if it was to do with seeing that family video of Mike this week, but this guitar solo is really talking breaking heart stuff.

Bloody hell, it made me feel for that poor little lad and his lovely face, - and remembering the picture of his bother playfully pushing his chest and Mike poking back, but careful not to hurt, - makes it more tragic somehow and sad that this gentle little guy had to later bear such pain and suffering.

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2010, 01:41

Quote (Harmono @ Dec. 21 2010, 11:00)
Hi, Captainjjb. What's a rising fifth? I thought I know everything about music theory but I've never heard of rising 5ths.  :)

oh crikey, I've no idea what I'm talking about.  But... if you play the chords you start on F#, then up a 5th to C#, up a 5th to G#, up a 5th to D#, up a 5th to A#, up a 5th to F etc etc.  Mikes goes through the whole 12 tones in this way and then back around again.  The vibes are playing pentatonic -ish arpeggios within this structure.  Its a brave piece because the overall effect is repetitive and it hasn't got a natural rhythm either (try walking around the room to it’s beat and you’ll keep falling over).  Thank heavens Mike had enough confidence to go through with it as it is an absolute gem.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2010, 04:39

Quote (wiga @ Dec. 22 2010, 21:42)
Listening to Incantations 3 today, and I don't know if it was to do with seeing that family video of Mike this week, but this guitar solo is really heart breaking stuff.

That damned video eh Wiga.....

I had the same thing happen listening to Into wonderland.....maybe its something to do with the time it was recorded.....I was 19 when Platinum came out and MO's music to me in those days was everything....I idolised the guy. I think for me it evoked memories of youth and I think as you get older you find yourself revisiting some of the things you did as a kid...made me quite emotional I have to say.
Profile PM 
28 replies since Nov. 26 2010, 16:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net