Poll choices Votes Statistics
Part 1 26  [29.21%]
Part 2 2  [2.25%]
Part 3 21  [23.60%]
Part 4 40  [44.94%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations, What's the best part of Incantations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Incantations Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 01 2010, 00:23

Probably part 1, it introduces those flavourful trumpets  :laugh:

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 01 2010, 07:07

Quote (Incantations @ June 01 2010, 00:23)
Probably part 1, it introduces those flavourful trumpets  :laugh:

Flavourful Trumpets?Interesting choice of descriptives there. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 14:57

Yep, that's what I was aiming at :laugh:

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 22:48

Part One I consider one of the most gorgeous pieces of music my ears have had the chance to listen to ever.

Best parts are the flute and then trumpets part, and the two long flute sections, at the beginning and at the end. I will have that album in my heart till I die.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 03:23

Quote (Delfín @ June 09 2010, 22:48)
Part One I consider one of the most gorgeous pieces of music my ears have had the chance to listen to ever.

Best parts are the flute and then trumpets part, and the two long flute sections, at the beginning and at the end. I will have that album in my heart till I die.

I have to agree.It's been a part of my life since i was 7 and i can easily get lost in it.And still i hear new things as i'm finding that the older i get the more refined my hearing becomes (best enjoy it now before i start to lose it!;).I know some people find it too long but that's part of it for me.
 Looking forward to the re-issue as that's next up.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 17:51

Side/Part One. I think the part ones of most things are the best. That goes for TB, HR and O. I think the main statement is made there - it stands alone somehow. It is so obviously the case with the first three records with each side two seeming not perhaps afterthoughts, but certainly weaker sections. With 1978's Incantations the whole thing opens up on the following three sides - but at a very slow pace. The first part of side 2 does feel like a continuation of side 1 but gets drawn out and boring. The second part of side 2 is quite disconnected and might almost have carried on from the end of Ommadawn Pt 1. but I'm not a fan of the whole Hiawatha thing. The main problem for me is that it is all far too chant-oriented with not nearly enough musical variation or complexity of instrumentation - who could possibly have foreseen Amarok whilst listening to this? The overall impression to me atleast is one of lazy indulgence giving over to the repetitive drone quality of it all. Side 2 seems the least popular with all posters here and yet it is the longest of the four pieces. Why is this? Is it the way it is two distinct pieces or just the lack of musical progressions?

Side 3 starts with a jolt then that takes us back into more familiar territory and possibly even anticipating some of Platinum with its guitar/piano interplay. The frenzied lead guitar is a welcome return to a strength of MO whereby he can extend his playing to a symphonic lead instrument and this is a direct connection with Ommadawn I think. But part 3 has a similar trait to side/part 2 in as much as it seems to be of two distinct parts rather than an evolving whole with the chugalong second part again suggestive of what was to come on Platinum and QE2; although it is also vaguely reminiscent of the 'Piltdown Man' part of Tubular Bells as well. And what follows is a very welcome change of pace for side/part 4 with an opening more akin to any of the earlier three records of 1973, 1974, & 1975. However, it soon returns to the very rhythm driven style of much of the rest of the record with the lead guitar being its saving grace. More of the Platinum stylings appear at the 10 minute mark all of which I find a bit disjointed, even though I can see it is the beginning of the inevitable build-up to a pre-finale crescendo of almost TB/HR type riffing. Then it's back to a rehash of side 2 and the tiresome Longfellow stuff. I recognise this is a kind of gathering coda section, but it is real pity that the record doesn't build up to a different conclusion that perhaps related more to side 1 if anything.

Ultimately, I think the best elements of sides 2, 3 & 4 could have been whittled down to make a more cohesive and concise second part of a single LP record, because all of it seems just so drawn out. That criticism could I suppose also be applied to side/part 1 as well, albeit to a lesser extent. There is a stronger statement existing within all of the recorded parts of Incantations just waiting to be extracted and edited down to a greater but reduced piece of music.

Now I'll just go and find myself a trench!...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 19:57

I would answer saying I consider the length of 'Incantations' being probably its best virtue. Such a deep and complex musical piece needs time and space to work inside. No doubt the comprising of it in one album would make a SuperMegaMaxiUltraAlbum, but the relax and monotony of part 2 or the length of the flutes part at side 1 or the african drums at part 3 would have to be sacrificed.

It's wonderful to have 'Incantations' there just the way it was done, still good to hear the 'Exposed' version but for me that album the way it was recorded and conceived is a peak of all ever-recorded instrumental symphonic rock music.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 22:20

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 27 2010, 17:51)
Now I'll just go and find myself a trench!...

I'll keep you company, Ghostmojo, because I agree with virtually everything you've said - especially the Longfellow comments.

It has been implied that Mike's taking Incantations on the road somehow negates his known dislike of it. But I don't think that's the case; I think Mike simply had to go on the road as part of the exegesis, to prove that he could do "what musicians do", and Incantations was simply what was fresh in his mind at the time.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 02:46

Quote (Delfín @ June 27 2010, 19:57)
It's wonderful to have 'Incantations' there just the way it was done, still good to hear the 'Exposed' version but for me that album the way it was recorded and conceived is a peak of all ever-recorded instrumental symphonic rock music.

Hell Yeah!!

Don't go changing to try and please Ghostmojo, you never let me down before. Don't imagine you're too familiar ...I love you just the way you aarree.....

wo wwo wo wo wohh...

:O

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 07:51

Quote (wiga @ June 28 2010, 02:46)
[quote=Delfín,

Don't go changing to try and please (Ghostmojo), you never let me down before. Don't imagine you're too familiar ...I love you just the way you aarree.....

Now now, Wiga, an uptown girl like you might just start a fire if you say things like that... but only the good die young :)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 08:53

Yes, Billy Joel is expressing how I feel about Incantations - here's more; -

"Don't go trying some new fashion, don't change the colour of your hair. You always have my unspoken passion although I might not seem to care..."

:O  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 09:49

Quote (wiga @ June 28 2010, 08:53)
Yes, Billy Joel is expressing how I feel about Incantations - here's more; -

"Don't go trying some new fashion, don't change the colour of your hair. You always have my unspoken passion although I might not seem to care..."

:O  :p

You may be right (don't ask me why)  :p  :p
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 11:00

...."I said I love you and that's forever. And this I promise from the heart. I could not love you any better, I love you just the way you are...

are-ree, oh wwo wwho wo woh o woh..."

:D  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 14:19

Quote (nightspore @ June 28 2010, 07:51)
Quote (wiga @ June 28 2010, 02:46)
[quote=Delfín,

Don't go changing to try and please (Ghostmojo), you never let me down before. Don't imagine you're too familiar ...I love you just the way you aarree.....

Now now, Wiga, an uptown girl like you might just start a fire if you say things like that... but only the good die young :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence nightspore and don't worry wiga - my suggestion is in addition to the extant recording not in place of it - as perhaps I should have clarified here but also touched upon on the deluxe thread. But delphin I can't agree that I is deep and complex. It lacks depth IMHO and also lacks complexity - one of my main criticisms - it is repetitive and lacks resolution. I reckon perhaps MO got bored with it himself and just decided to finish up as best as he could. The photo on the cover might just be of him shrugging his shoulders and sighing "ah well" ...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 14:53

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 28 2010, 14:19)
and don't worry wiga - my suggestion is in addition to the extant recording not in place of it - as perhaps I should have clarified here...

...well that's a relief - I feel much better now...

That's a glum review Ghostmojo - even of Mike and his shoulders.   :/  :zzz:    :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 04:43

What a mess...

Wiga-I love you too. I would never say anything related to music just to please anybody, just speak out my thoughts. I really think the Exposed version is alright, but the good and real 'Incantations' is just the way it was recorded and edited. I do think it has complexity and deepness, specially parts 1 and 3, and yeah, I would be able to admit parts 2 and 4 get to too repetitive sometimes, if however, as Mike said once, there's nothing wrong with repetitiveness if what you repeat is good- let's take it to the food realm: if you like to eat a cookie it doesn't mean you don't like a few of them, or get bored because all of them have the same taste.

For me 'Incantations' is a neverending stream of genius and inspiration. Anyhow, everybody's opinions are different.

Just for you to know wiga, just for you to know, I am single, have no girlfriend, and physically somewhere between average or maybe better...  :cool: Visiting Spain soon, by chance???

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 09:42

Quote (Delfín @ June 27 2010, 19:57)
It's wonderful to have 'Incantations' there just the way it was done

:laugh:

Delfin; - it was your line that inspired me to sing Billy Joels' "Just the way you are"  - about Incantations, because I love it just the way it was done too. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 09:45

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 28 2010, 14:19)
The photo on the cover might just be of him shrugging his shoulders and sighing "ah well" ...

Yes, that photo speaks volumes, doesn't it? I've made this point before, but just compare it with the photo on the cover of Amarok. The music, I think, is in direct correspondence.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 09:47

Quote (wiga @ June 29 2010, 09:42)
It was your line that inspired me to sing Billy Joels' "Just the way you are"  - about Incantations, because I love it just the way it was done too. ;)

Well, it's still rock and roll to me!  :D
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 11:08

Nothing more rock and roll for me than the last section of 'Incantations part 2'.

--------------
Profile PM 
80 replies since Aug. 22 2003, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net