Poll choices Votes Statistics
Part 1 26  [29.21%]
Part 2 2  [2.25%]
Part 3 21  [23.60%]
Part 4 40  [44.94%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations, What's the best part of Incantations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 23 2008, 01:56

This is the one MO record that leaves me absolutely and completely cold. There is absolutely nothing I like about it. The only positive thing I can say is that it marked the absolute low point of Mike's career against which the whole string of superb subsequent albums could be measured. Even the record's cover art has him looking cold, diffident, unsure of himself - just like the music. Again, this is just my opinion!
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 13:48

A tough one to make and I know tomorrow I'll probably feel different. But for the moment it's part III, especially Mike's majestic & sweeping guitar solo- absolutely wonderful, especially when driving; probably not so much if you're trying to relax in bed or something.

A close second would be part IV, especially the close and Maddy's vocals on the Cynthia song. I'm pretty sure Part IV will be my favourite tomorrow, back to III again the next day  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 20:18

I must have a huge blind spot for this album - to me, it sounds more like Can (Tago Mago, etc) than Mike (and at leastTago Magomakes me s(it up and take notice!;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 20:38

Quote (nightspore @ Oct. 16 2008, 02:18)
I must have a huge blind spot for this album - to me, it sounds more like Can (Tago Mago, etc) than Mike (and at leastTago Magomakes me s(it up and take notice!;)

Well, that's certainly a connection I never made. Can, of all things! Well, I'm not really that familiar with Can, but from what I've heard (and that includes some tracks from Tago Mago) I just don't see that at all.

As for the poll, this is an easy null vote for me; like with TB, HR, or Ommadawn, I always thought of Incantations as one whole rather than four individual tracks, which I feel is only due to the restrictions of the LP format anyway.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 10:25

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 31 2004, 12:27)
Fwow. I realised this is tougher than I thought. For me, really, the whole is infinitely better than the sum of its parts. Incantations is one magnificent, mindblowing masterpiece, and it's just too difficult for me to choose a favourite part. In the end, I picked Part 1, mostly because of the way it works as a sort of "journey" through the whole album, before the themes sink in deeper. Part 3 comes next, with the energy, and the incredibly tense second half with the drums and synths and all. Part 2 and 4 are slightly inferior. I don't mind the Hiawatha poem on Part 2, but maybe it was overdone. Part 4 is beautiful, too, but the tension and mood it creates is more important than the music itself... for my ears. I dunno. Incantations is fantastic, easily one of my top Oldfield albums ever.

Well I voted for part one also,and then trying to think about some of my reasons for doing that.And to which order of preferance I`d maybe put the rest of the album.Well reading your post here Sir M (from four and a bit years ago now heh heh) well yeah I think that more or less sums up my feelings on it exactly.

I mean Side One in a lot of respects is kind of like an extended overture for the rest of the album I suppose.But it also takes us straight into the "journey" as you say almost immediatly.You know it`s like as soon as those strings start up after that glorious multi vocal/gong crescendo,it`s almost as if I`m being cast off into flight or something.Across oceans,fields,forests and mountains I suppose.It`s an album of such great traveling imagery I feel.Also as you say a lot of the themes are explored more fully,or in a different light elsewhere on the album.But I think as the "themes" stand on side one anyway, they seem to me to be present here in their most complete and purest form in a way.You know I think taken out of it`s context it`s the only complete side that best encapsulates the rest of the album.Again I agree the rest of the album is outstanding anyway and Side Three would be a close second for me also.

But the point I think that I would agree with you here the most would be your "summing up" of Side Four as "the tension and mood it creates is more important than the music itself"..I mean that`s absolutely spot on for me,I would`nt know how to describe it any other way I don`t think.Because the great thing about Side Four is the fact that you know you`re being "lead" into those two great guitar crescendo`s if you like.You kind of need all that tension to fully appreciate it I guess..I remember years ago I had an album by Weather Report called Domino Theory.And the title track of that album was just this brilliant little riff thing kind of building up all the time creating more and more tension as it went.They had Omar Hakim on the drums back then,and he was kind of really integral to this track and there was some really great inter-playing on it by the rest of the musicians.But the thing was with Domino Theory it did`nt bloody go anywhere..You know you`d get to the end of that thing and they just kind of tagged on this really lame one minute Jazzy/time signature thing.That then quickly faded out almost out of embarrassment it seemed to me..Talk about an anti-climax..That`s one thing I`d certainly never accuse of Side Four of Incantations,just the complete opposite for me in fact.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 12:22

Does the album cast a spell on you or not? That's what incantations are for.........it did to me.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 12:59

It`s a truly magical thing,I agree.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 13:01

It is indeed. I could not take it, er....them off the turntable in '78.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 07:26

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 15 2008, 20:38)
Well, that's certainly a connection I never made. Can, of all things! Well, I'm not really that familiar with Can, but from what I've heard (and that includes some tracks from Tago Mago) I just don't see that at all.

Well, Can produce intensely repetitive, hypnotic pieces, and that typifies much of Incantations. Perhaps Tago Mago was not a good choice of a Can album to hold up; something like "Mother Sky" from Soundtracks is a better example. (No, I'm not a Can fan, although I listened to a few of their records at one time).
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 08:14

What I especially like about Incantations is its lasting effect on mind hours or even days after listening to it!

The opening of Track 1, the guitar solo in III and the vibraphone and Maddy's vocals on the close of IV linger in my mind constantly and not in a negative or bad way either. But more in terms of raising my spirits, it inspires me to be creative and to do my best in things.

Incantations, taken as a whole and unlike most other MO albums is very spiritually uplifting (for me at least), and reminds me of my own humilty & purpose in life. Moreover, even when I feel sorry for myself, Incantations, reminds me that there are many many people worse off than myself, and that I should consider myself grateful(hope that doesn't sound too deep or conceited).
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 15:34

interesting to read peoples comments about Incantations.  some find it cold, some find it all embracing.  "New incantation" left a wonderfully emotional expression, it was great to read, and I understand exactly where you are coming from.  Great music always produces this kind of feeling.  Incantations is indeed great music.  The best Mike has produced.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 15:41

I'm with the captain here. Some of you detest Incantations. I think its equal with Ommadawn and HR. Why do I still listen to it today, when I'm burned out on TB1 and a few other MO works after 30 years? Because it was a friggin' masterpiece. And there never was any whine. So there!!

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 16:31

Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 17 2008, 08:14)
Incantations, taken as a whole and unlike most other MO albums is very spiritually uplifting (for me at least), and reminds me of my own humilty & purpose in life. Moreover, even when I feel sorry for myself, Incantations, reminds me that there are many many people worse off than myself, and that I should consider myself grateful(hope that doesn't sound too deep or conceited).

I couldn't put it better myself.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2008, 02:20

Saw this on Amazon.com, is this where the cover to Incantations was photographed?: Necker Island, Private Island Owned by Richard Branson

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 11:01

I think i read in Changling it was taken in Majorca.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2009, 07:49

Quote (captainjjb @ Oct. 17 2008, 15:34)
some find it cold, some find it all embracing.

And I find it bracing when there's a hard frost.

I've got it out to day - infact this is the first MO album I've played for four months - but whoa! that guitar knocks my socks off - like I've never heard it before.

So for me December is always Incantations time  - both embracing and bracing on a cold frosty morn. Magnificent (as Anita would say).  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2009, 09:31

Quote (The Caveman @ Oct. 31 2008, 11:01)
I think i read in Changling it was taken in Majorca.

This was discussed here.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2009, 12:20

The cover could have been taken in front of a liquor store for all I care, which might have been cool too......I feel like listening to the Hiawatha part so many gripe about being too long. Hell, I like it so much, it could have been 6 minutes longer and I'd still love it....

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2009, 12:33

Actually I have a fun project for those of you who use to do those fake, funny MO magazine covers. Photoshop us an "alternate" Incantations LP cover with the same pic of MO as the original, standing in front of a really grungy looking USA liquor store(like in Texas or Alabama. Try to make it a good HD .jpg file at least 150K in size so it can be used as wallpaper. Sound like fun? Great. Off to hear Hiawatha now...
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2009, 16:40

Admittedly I'm OK with a lot of the cheesy 70s and 80s Christmas tunes, but Hiawatha cuts a lot deeper with me since I first heard it in December 1978. It's a Christmas carol.

--------------
Profile PM 
80 replies since Aug. 22 2003, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net